Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Ellis

I suggest the original stories on which Genesis was based would reach back further than permanent recording can go and they have survived because at some remote time (well before the writing of the bible) some scribe preserved the traditional tales by writing them down.

Baird Spaulding, Author of the "Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East" spoke of his access to writings predating the history of the known civilization in the obscure monasteries he visited on an archaeological expedition back in the late 1800's. The monks also led him to Tablets made of silver and gold, that vibrated with energy, buried in an Eastern desert in archival storage buildings built by a civilization also predating our own human history.

The proof of the pudding is always in the eating.

The East has within its historical archives a rich written recorded history referencing civilizations on this planet that are still hidden from the west. The issue has always been that there is no proof that has been discovered by western sciences and those who speak of the ancient traditions are much aware that western civilizations have historically proven themselves to be destructive not only to themselves but to traditions that disrupt current policies of belief. The Vatican has plenty of information hidden from the public just as the NSA and CIA keep certain information from the general public to maintain a prescribed structure and sovereignty.

Good parents often keep certain things from their children until they reach an age where they are mindful of their own acts and capable of wisdom.
Others might just like to have it their own way.

Good fortune, bad fortune, who's to say...

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word is with God, and God is the Word.

Gospel According to John, 1:1

. . . which bears a flattering resemblance to a verse that predates it by several thousand years:

In the beginning was the Creator; with Him was the Word, and the Word was truly the Supreme Brahman.

Krishna Yajur Veda, Kathaka Samhita

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Hymn of Creation, part 1 (RG Veda)

First was neither Being nor Nonbeing,
Nor was airy space, nor heavens beyond;
What was enveloped? And where? Protected by whom?
Was water there, bottomless, unfathomable?

Neither was there death nor immortality,
Nor was any sign of night or day;
The One breathed, breathless, by its own impulse;
Beyond that, indeed, nothing whatsoever was.

In the Principle, darkness enfolded darkness;
Undifferentiated abyss was the all. Then,
what was hidden by the Void, that One,
From conscious Ardor stirred, mightily emerged.

In the Principle of Beginning, thereupon, Love arose,
The primeval seed of mind.
Then the seers, searching wisely within their hearts,
Perceived the bond of Being in Nonbeing.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
Originally Posted By: Eddy Pengelly

My study is searching for evidence (from the original accounts regarding gods and GOD) to prove or disprove the existence of such a perceived GOD and/or gods.
How do you do that if you do not know what God is and what to look for?

That is the point.
You appear to be approaching this research with a pre-conceived idea that there is a GOD.
You intend to find the GOD of which you have been told about.

I intend to analyze the content of the stories and the eyewitness accounts regarding these gods and GOD and see whether:
1) the evidence supports that there is a GOD as religiously perceived and described, or
2) the evidence shows something else.

It is the role of a scientific researcher NOT to know what the outcome of research will be.
That is the purpose of the research - to find the answers.

Are you assuming God will be contained within the words and that without knowing what God is, that you will be able to recognize God if God exists?

The stories about GOD (in the various sacred texts) provide information. This is from where people have been told and/or derived their (religious) concept of GOD and gods.
I will evaluate that information using the lexicons from Strong’s Concordance - and utilize the original root meanings, and NOT the given or guessed secondary religious meanings.

Preliminary studies show that the “religious perception” of the stories in ancient texts are just that - religious interpretations.
This is why I will be focusing upon the original Hebrew meanings, and not the given perceived English interpretations that have been translated through several languages.
When the Old English words of the KJV Bible (for example) are returned to their original Hebrew meanings for Genesis Chapter One, that information will be the basis for that study.

I do not assume that GOD will be contained within the words of Genesis (and other texts).
It is known that religions such as Hebrew, Christian, Catholic, Mormon, and the Muslim acknowledge ‘the God of Abraham’ as being the one true God, thus this is the GOD whom we need to study - the God of the Old Testament.
So it is logical to go to the source of the first story about God - the words from Genesis Chapter One.

Or will you, after some studying and are unable to gain the experience of God, assume God is non-existent?

I do not intend to assume that GOD is non-existent.
For me to state this - I would present the evidence.

Where will you go or what will you do differently in this approach, that hundreds of thousands of men have gone and done before you, having failed to prove or disprove the existence of God within written texts?

1) do not assume that contemporary concepts about gods or GOD are correct.
2) do not assume that the Old English Translators got it all right.
3) do not let contemporary religious ideas and concepts influence the study.
4) do not let New Age ideas and concepts influence the study.
5) base conclusions upon evidence and not upon hearsay or ‘stories’
6) do not exclusively use the Bible as the only resource about GOD.
7) do not assume (as we have been led to believe) that the book called the Bible is ‘one book written about GOD’
8) be aware that many books of the Bible were not first hand accounts nor were they written by the people who’s names are cited.
9) consider the original context of the written text- and not how others in the future used it for their own purpose.

OP Offline
"the original accounts" ..... these would not in fact be the original stories as those stories would have not been recorded in permanent form, instead they would have been part of an oral tradition.

YES. This is why we need to filter out and/or take into account:
1) the possible misunderstandings of what was first seen and heard by the eye witness.
2) the change in the oral story down through the ages (ie. Chinese Whispers game).
3) religious changes and additions made before the story was written down.
4) political changes and additions made to the story before the story was written down.
5) comprehension problems when the story was told in a different place and language.
- and these were before the story was written down !
6) translation issues when finally written down, then in other languages
7) comprehension and how religious and political forces decided how the story was to read (ie. Religion perceptions)

I suggest the original stories on which Genesis was based would reach back further than permanent recording can go and they have survived because at some remote time (well before the writing of the bible) some scribe preserved the traditional tales by writing them down.

This is an assumption that there was just one EVENT at one earlier period of time which was being described in ALL the stories.
Conversely, preliminary research shows that many of the various Creation legends were accounts of separate encounters.

This is why my research will focus on each ‘described account’ for each separate ‘time period’.

Are they all describing the same ONE prior Event (as religiously perceived and understood), or are the stories exclusive and individual ?

M
M
Sir J. G. Frazer in "The Golden Bough" wrote of the commonality of myth throughout all cultures, whether religious or not.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
From the Judeo-Christian Tradition:

In the Beginningness Elohim, the Unmanifest Infinite, evoked
the principles of oceanic Consciousness and of manifest form. (1)

And form was potential only, as ardor struggled
to pierce the visage of the unknowing Void,
and the spirit of the Unmanifest Infinite, Be-coming,
in-spired the yearning abyss. (2)

And Elohim, Infinite Be-coming, informed, “Light become!” and Light became. (3)

And Elohim perceived Light as fruit-ful,
And Elohim birthed (which is to say, “differentiated”) Light from the Void. (4)

And Infinite Be-coming recognized the Light as active, manifesting -- and the Void as repose, gestating. Movement and repose, one cycle, the first manifestation. (5)

And Elohim informed, “a refining of oceanic Consciousness, become! and differentiate water from water, individuated Consciousness from oceanic Consciousness!” (6)

And Infinite Becoming distinguished between the rarified principle of aether - space - and the densified principle of matter. (7)

And Elohim designated the aetheric principle as the realm [mayim: ocean; ocean of Consciousness] of vibration [shem: vibration; light; sound; divine name]: shem-mayim, which we call “Heaven.” Movement and repose, one cycle, the second manifestation. (8)

Genesis 1:1-8 [a rough translation from the Hebrew]

M
M
That's very impressive. I've seen other recent translations directly from the ancient Hebrew, but I like that one most, even with its fits and starts, which I don't attribute to the translator.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: me, Eddy Pengelly I stated in my OP that
In Strong’s Concordance, the primary definition of Hebrew word 430 “God” (in the Lexicon section) is a plural word that means 'deities' - therefore where in the Bible the word GOD has been perceived and interpreted as a single GOD, it actually referred to plural deities.

Conclusion:
The single religious “one true GOD” perception is no longer valid - as the original meaning was ‘deities’ (plural).

Therefore to which ‘deities’ does the Creation account in Genesis 1:1 refer ?
My question still remains unanswered.
(1) The original meaning for the Hebrew word ‘GOD’ (aleim : OE Elohim) is “deities” - and not GOD as we have been led to believe.

Also, looking at the original Hebrew writings, shows that the Old English translation has moved the order of the words which has placed the verb on the perceived GOD.

Original order is
in•beginning he-created Elohim » the•heavens and•» the•earth
(b•rashith bra aleim ath e•shmim u•ath e•artz) Source

This reads as “in the beginning (he) created deities, the sky and earth”.

This is telling a totally different story.

(2) Something else other than the perceived GOD, (the “he”) created the deities, the sky, and earth - in that order.

Are these conclusions valid ?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Eddy Pengelly
Originally Posted By: me, Eddy Pengelly I stated in my OP that
In Strong’s Concordance, the primary definition of Hebrew word 430 “God” (in the Lexicon section) is a plural word that means 'deities' - therefore where in the Bible the word GOD has been perceived and interpreted as a single GOD, it actually referred to plural deities.

Conclusion:
The single religious “one true GOD” perception is no longer valid - as the original meaning was ‘deities’ (plural).

Therefore to which ‘deities’ does the Creation account in Genesis 1:1 refer ?
My question still remains unanswered.
(1) The original meaning for the Hebrew word ‘GOD’ (aleim : OE Elohim) is “deities” - and not GOD as we have been led to believe.

Also, looking at the original Hebrew writings, shows that the Old English translation has moved the order of the words which has placed the verb on the perceived GOD.

Original order is
in•beginning he-created Elohim » the•heavens and•» the•earth
(b•rashith bra aleim ath e•shmim u•ath e•artz) Source

This reads as “in the beginning (he) created deities, the sky and earth”.

This is telling a totally different story.

(2) Something else other than the perceived GOD, (the “he”) created the deities, the sky, and earth - in that order.

Are these conclusions valid ?

Duality is more of what is being inferred. God being both the un-manifest and the manifest. The heavens and the Earth. The stillness and vastness of pure potential un-manifest, and the experiential awareness of consciousness witnessing consciousness or itself (Elohim). The translators can't convey this because they were not of the same conscious mindset as the authors. More than likely they literally tried to translate each word based on supposition. So to answer your question. No.
Words often have multiple meanings. If you take the Sanskrit language for example, one word can have 10 different meanings. The only way to put a word into its proper context is to derive the meaning of the entire sentence or paragraph. It takes a certain kind of intuition as well as a mastery of the language to do justice to translating Sanskrit as well as Aramaic and Hebrew.
All that is, (The cosmic waters, or the ocean of potential) has no beginning or end. That which has beginnings and endings such as God and Gods,(the ripples on the surface of the waters) are born of the un-manifest, but are nothing more than reflections of the One and are still the Ocean regardless of surface appearances.
You should really study some of the Vedic Scripture. It is laid out in very simple terms. It may allow you to derive the essence or the meanings of the words used in the Hebrew texts, rather than trying to literally define the translations using an English dictionary, but without the experience of the authors state of mind, its doubtful whether you will have any clear idea of what they are describing. Most likely you will be trying to figure out if you got it right and probably doubt any feedback you get that differs from your own ideas.

Like I said, how can you decide what is true when you have no experience of the Truth?

OP Offline
It has been said…

“there is no overwhelming evidence contradicting my belief in God”

“Because there is NO evidence against what I believe”

“There is no evidence for or against a higher power or that a belief system is either correct or incorrect”

“There is no overwhelming evidence to the contrary”

But now there is.

Evidence for Atheists that there is no GOD

The Australian researcher, Ronald Pegg was asked “Do you believe in GOD ?”

He said “That is a religious question, set in a religious context, asked for religious reasons” then stated “I am not religious”.

“So you are an Atheist ?” was the response, to which Pegg replied “No” then clarified his position.

A religious person believes in GOD with no evidence - its called faith.
An Atheist believes there is no GOD, also with no evidence. (Some also call this faith).
Producing evidence is the key to resolving these issues.

Pegg then presented evidence that there was and is no GOD as documented and described in religious texts.

Many of these world-breaking discoveries may be viewed on-line.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
so someone made a computer program in 1995 that supposedly
shows proof that religions are fake.

what would have prevented the programmer of the program from using his knowlege of the many varried religions histories and the many known artifacts etc ... etc?

and making the program seem as if ancient people had seen his program?

there is no water to put in your pot that wont hold water.

sorry.

and as for the old picture of the cd rom case that is referenced in one of the videos a see through plastic case could easily have been made from vinegar , milk , water and heat.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I was following this with interest to see where it would go and to possibly find some bits of information.

just to find it was all a sales pitch.

but still the similarities between the varried religions are striking and support my theory of man emerging from beneath the earth from caves after the ice age.

forced underground in search of warmth.
there is no other viable explanation.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.