Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33399 02/16/10 08:58 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
President Obama is building 2 new reactors in Georgia U.S.A.

after over 30 years of no new reactors in the U.S.

looks like big oil has lost its death grip on the U.S.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/business/energy-environment/17nukes.html

that should Close that valve on the imported oil pipe just a bit more.

Granted Wind Power would be my choice only I would design them to use the wind , LOL.

the fact is that in the distant future the wind might be calm for weeks at a time after the ice has melted and nuclear and solar would carry us through those dry spells.

the plan is to provide 8 billion in government loans to build these plants.

thats 8000 million dollars...

you could install 800,000 $10,000.00 solar systems on homes and that would provide electricity for 800,000 homes.

or you could install 1,600,000 $5,000 wind power systems on homes and that would provide electricity for 1,600,000 homes.

the planned construction is expected to provide electricity for 500,000 homes.

I think it would be a great thing to macth these funds to strenghten the solar power and wind power industry and all the related new jobs that are a result of those new extremely important industries.

but all in all the new nuclear reactors are a good thing.

and we should be proud that the goverment accomplished something good.

heck we should be amazed that they were capable of accomplishing anything these days.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Hehe, I don't think it's 'big oil' that let it happen. I think it's global warming causing people to loosen their morbid fear of nuclear power.

A $5000 home wind turbine can't power a whole house, except perhaps in uncommonly windy places. And who would want to live there?

Jobs? I hate that excuse! Creating jobs is another way of saying 'costing money'. You can't have a power generator which is both cheap and creates jobs. Not needing so many workers is one of the big drawcards of wind and solar! Needing more workers isn't a selling point!

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
A $5000 home wind turbine can't power a whole house, except perhaps in uncommonly windy places. And who would want to live there?

LOL.. anybody on the east coast if you put a wind turbine on the beach on the east coast where most people live in the U.S. and net meter it.

but you might want to use a better turbine than the in-efficient 3 thin blade ones normaly sold.

and for $5000.00 I could build a 20kW system myself.
of course if I bought one already built it would cost about $5000.00 for a 1 kW system installed.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.