Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 55 of 120 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 119 120
J
J
Sin == error of highest intent or "to miss the mark".

Megastar
Megastar
I have been asked to define 'panentheism'--what I prefer to call 'unitheism'. A friend in wondercafe.ca who calls himself 'panentheism' gives what I consider is an excellent definition:
Quote:
Posted on: 11/18/2009 10:12

Here is a short description of panentheism: God is in the world, the world is in God, and there is more to God than just the world.

And following that God has to work with the world as it is to lure it to where it could be. God is the supremely related one and seeks to be related to.

Our part is both response to the possibilities and addition to what becomes. The future is open to our creative responses to God's novel creativity.
The only thing I will add is: GOD, as I understand the concept, is the total and unavoidable Reality, or Life itself.

Avoiding the language of theism: IMO, I sin by commission when I, deliberately, choose not to participate in Life and Reality, and when I reject what they have to offer.

I sin by omission--that is, I miss the target by not trying to hit it--when I fail to help others see the possibilities of Life and Reality, and be as creative as I they are capable of being.

Atheists, please avoid being hung up on a-theism.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
I have been asked to define 'panentheism'--what I prefer to call 'unitheism'. A friend in wondercafe.ca who calls himself 'panentheism' gives what I consider is an excellent definition:
Quote:
Posted on: 11/18/2009 10:12

Here is a short description of panentheism: God is in the world, the world is in God, and there is more to God than just the world.

And following that God has to work with the world as it is to lure it to where it could be. God is the supremely related one and seeks to be related to.

Our part is both response to the possibilities and addition to what becomes. The future is open to our creative responses to God's novel creativity.
The only thing I will add is: GOD, as I understand the concept, is the total and unavoidable Reality, or Life itself.

So you are saying morality and sin is rallied around a concept of reality, rather than anything real or concrete. Concepts being derived from projections and imagination, Sin being the failure to take the imagination seriously....

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
Megastar
MORE ON UNDERSTANDING UNITHEISM
===============================
Unitheism is such a simple--in the profound sense of the word--and child-like theology.

All you need do is begin with the unit of being called 'you'. Now this is not too difficult to understand, is it? For better or for worse, you are you. As such you are the center of your universe, as you perceive it, with your senses. In my opinion, this is also true for everyone reading these words. I am convinced this is true for me.

From this centre of consciousness, each of us can perceive, using the senses, that there is an eternal and infinite universe out there which I will call GOD--all that is good, orderly and desirable.

Because GOD is not a being, but but Being itself and, therefore, everywhere, GOD is in you and me as if we are little universes. We are, in effect, replicas of GOD. We could call this little universe, g0d within--that is, g zero d. Christians don't be shocked. Take note: In John 10:34, Jesus is recorded as agreeing with Psalm 82, where it says: I have said you are gods ...

What is the practical outcome of our acknowledging that each of us is a god-like being within GOD?

It simply means this: We am going to treat each other with the highest kind of love and respect and expect that we will be treated likewise. In other word: practice the Golden Rule--a rule acknowledged by all the great religions of the world. Know that GOD is love, and simply love one another.

This being so means that we will choose to work together building god-filled communities everywhere we fellowship together.

Now it is up to each one of us to show that we understand the power of love, simple good will, by putting love, the power of will, into all our actions.

Last edited by Revlgking; 12/02/09 04:37 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
MORE ON UNDERSTANDING UNITHEISM
===============================
Unitheism is such a simple--in the profound sense of the word--and child-like theology.

All you need do is begin with the unit of being called 'you'. Now this is not too difficult to understand, is it? For better or for worse, you are you. As such you are the center of your universe, as you perceive it, with your senses. In my opinion, this is also true for everyone reading these words. I am convinced this is true for me.

From this centre of consciousness, each of us can perceive, using the senses, that there is an eternal and infinite universe out there which I will call GOD--all that is good, orderly and desirable.

Because GOD is not a being, but but Being itself and, therefore, everywhere, GOD is in you and me as if we are little universes. We are, in effect, replicas of GOD. We could call this little universe, g0d within--that is, g zero d. Christians don't be shocked. Take note: In John 10:34, Jesus is recorded as agreeing with Psalm 82, where it says: I have said you are gods ...

What is the practical outcome of our acknowledging that each of us is a god-like being within GOD?

It simply means this: We am going to treat each other with the highest kind of love and respect and expect that we will be treated likewise. In other word: practice the Golden Rule--a rule acknowledged by all the great religions of the world. Know that GOD is love, and simply love one another.

This being so means that we will choose to work together building god-filled communities everywhere we fellowship together.

Now it is up to each one of us to show that we understand the power of love, simple good will, by putting love, the power of will, into all our actions.
All of this seems a projection of a future reality of God creating God from the acceptance of God, creating God in the past, with a twist. The past is seen as without God, treating God like God, but when assuming we are all gods, that we will begin to create with good will.

When does God begin to be good and orderly? Is it when we decide God is involved and when we decide God is good?
If all there is, is God, haven't we always been good and orderly?
If that is so what must change? We in our awareness of God, or the outside manifestation of God.

Obviously if our opinions and personal realities derived from an idea that we are at the center of the universe is real, then our personal universe is in the order we as personal gods have created. If God is perfect nothing about God could change to be more perfect. That would only be an idea based on a projection of a perfect and imperfect God, or a projection of personality, opinion or ego.

Megastar
Megastar
MORE, ON UNDERSTANDING UNITHEISM--Revised.
=========================================
Unitheism is such a simple--in the profound sense of the word--and child-like theology. Unitheism and the universe have a lot in common.

THE EGO--part of our humanity
=============================
All one needs to do is: Begin with the unit of being we call 'I', the ego--from the Latin and Greek for 'I'. Now this is not too difficult to understand, is it?

For better or for worse, we have egos; they are part of what it means to be human. If I refuse to grow up and allow my ego to be a self-centered, greedy and power-seeking child, it will lead me to pain, suffering and even death.

If, with a positive mental attitude of faith, hope and love, I surrender the ego to the UNIverse--physically, mentally and spiritually, my ego will become the real me. Thus we will be led me in the paths of righteousness--the way to justice, peace and eternal bliss.

As egos, you and I are the center of our universe, as we perceive it, with our senses. In my opinion, this is also true for everyone reading these words. I am convinced this is true for me. What do you think?

From this centre of consciousness, each of us can perceive, using our senses, that it is possible that there is an eternal and infinite universe-- out there.

What about atheists? While they reject the god theory and creationism as not being worthy of serious thought, even atheists agree that the the UNIverse is indeed a thing filled with much mystery.

At this point, I call all that IS--the universe, the cosmos, nature, existence, whatever you care to name it--GOD. Note: this is not a noun, it is an acronym. GOD is an acronym for all that IS good, orderly and desirable. We can look at the problem of good and evil, later.

I repeat: GOD, in my opinion, is not a being. GOD is Being itself. Therefore, GOD, as the universe, is everywhere and anywhere, at the same time. In addition, GOD, as the total universe, is in you and me as if we are little universes. If we can agree to be, in effect, replicas, or sons and daughters of GOD, we will develop the ability to do "miracles"--great and wonderful things without going against the laws of nature.

Skeptical? You have every right to be. I invite everyone: Do your own simple experiments. No, you don't have to join a church, or send money. Just be willing to be at ONE--in the spirit of agape/love--with all that IS, including self and others. Questions welcome!

ALL SPIRITUALLY MINDED PEOPLE, including Christians, don't be shocked.
Christians, take note: In John 10:34, Jesus is recorded as agreeing with Psalm 82, where it says: I have said you are gods ...

We need to ask: What is the practical value of unitheism?

HERE IT IS:
Unitheists agree to treat one another with the highest kind of love and respect. And we expect that we will be treated likewise.

In other words: Unitheists believe in practicing the Golden Rule--a rule acknowledged as a valid one by all the great religions of the world. Know that GOD is AGAPE/love--not to be confused with sentimentality.

AS I SAID, AGAPE/LOVE IS NOT SENTIMENTALITY
Now it is up to each one of us to show that we understand the power of agape/love.
==================================

Edited by Revlgking, today. Check the date of this post. I make it Wednesday, December 2, 2009, around 9 pm.

Last edited by Revlgking; 12/03/09 04:55 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

Megastar
Megastar
Unitheism is really a simple--in the profound sense of the word--and child-like theology. Unitheism and the universe have a lot in common.

All one needs to do is: Begin with the unit of being we call 'I', the ego--from the Latin and Greek for 'I'. Now this is not too difficult to understand, is it?

I revise the above paragraph as follows:

All one needs to do is: Begin with the unit of being we call 'I', the ego--from the Latin and Greek for 'I'.

In other words, begin with what we call the self, the mind, the soul, the spirit. The Greek is 'pneuma'. Pneumatology--the archaic word for psychology--is the study of the Spirit--human and divine.

BTW, the Greek 'pneuma', from which we get 'pneumatic', literally means air, wind, breath. So do the Hebrew and Latin translations. The ancients thought of air, wind and breath as being god-like mysteries. Had the ancients known about space, as we do, they probably would have used space, or the vacuum.

Now this is not too difficult to understand, is it?

Megastar
Megastar
=====================================
UNItheism is really a simple--in the profound sense of the word--and child-like theology. UNItheism and the universe have a lot in common.

I revise the above paragraph as follows:

All one needs to do is: Begin with the unit of being we call 'I', the ego--from the Latin and Greek for 'I'.

In other words, begin with what we call the self, the mind, the soul, the spirit. The Greek is 'pneuma'.

From it we get pneumatic, pneumonia and even pneumatology--the archaic word for psychology, which is the study of the Spirit--human and divine.

BTW, in the Greek, 'pneuma' literally means air, wind, breath. So do the Hebrew (ruach) and Latin (spiritus) translations. They serve as metaphors for that which we feel is beyond what we call measurable matter.

Interestingly, the ancient Greeks thought of air, wind and breath as being god-like mysteries, and gifts from the gods to us mere mortals. What we call the cosmos, or space--something to be explored--was to them was all mystery.

Interestingly also is: The ancient Greeks had no word for space in our sense of the word. The term 'cosmos' referred not to a field of space, but to a sum of harmoniously ordered bodies.

In All-Experts-Dot Com--a FREE and helpful source of information--I found that the ancient Greeks had two words to indicate what is going on up there--we think 'out there'--in ‘endless space’, and one word which indicates ‘a space with a border’--three altogether.

Here they are:

1-“Kenón” (Greek fonts available here), a neuter noun, which means either ‘endless space’ or ‘empty space’, ‘void’, according to Democritus who talks about empty space ,‘the void of space’, between atoms and says: “Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion”.

2-“Cháos” (Greek fonts...) a neuter noun meaning
“primordial space”, “infinite space”. In early Greek cosmology the chaos was in fact the personification of the primordial void. In fact, in the beginning there was only ‘chaos’, that was a shapeless and confused mass of elements.

3-“Chõros” (Greek fonts...), a masculine noun which means ‘space’ in the sense of a definite area that has a border.

The purpose of unitheism--in cooperation with the physicists who are exploring the News Physics, and who are seeking to demonstrate that there is a unified field in which we live and move and have our being--is to bring some theological unity to all this, in accordance with the principles of science.

A word of caution: It is the opinion of great souls everywhere that if we allow this ego of ours to take over and arrogantly call the shots, so to speak, it will, like an immature child, get us into all kinds of problems, as it has already. Do you remember the movie: LORD OF THE FLIES?

However, if we willingly surrender the ego of the service of service of others and the task that is before, there is no limit as to what we can and will accomplish. And there is an infinity of space, and an eternity of time, in which to accomplish it.

Last edited by Revlgking; 12/05/09 05:01 PM. Reason: Always a good idea.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

The word Satan is a derivitive of the I/ego, and it refers to the I in the experience of separation from God. Separation means in this case, individual. When one becomes an entity in and of themselves within a group of entities in and of themselves and with a God that is outside of ones individuality in and of itself.

For better or for worse, we have egos; they are part of what it means to be human. If I refuse to grow up and allow my ego to be a self-centered, greedy and power-seeking child, it will lead me to pain, suffering and even death.

Even if you grow up and are not self centered or greedy or power seeking, you will experience pain, suffering and death.

If, with a positive mental attitude of faith, hope and love, I surrender the ego to the UNIverse--physically, mentally and spiritually, my ego will become the real me. Thus we will be led me in the paths of righteousness--the way to justice, peace and eternal bliss.

As egos, you and I are the center of our universe, as we perceive it, with our senses. In my opinion, this is also true for everyone reading these words. I am convinced this is true for me. What do you think?

I think you have unconsciously arrived at an idea that surrendering to a universe that you perceive as god, is without the awareness of the individuality having determined what God is and without the direct experience of God.
I would say that if you determine yourself to be the center of the universe and that universe being you or a reflection of you, all that you can surrender yourself to, is yourself. This pretty much is the definition of the ego as Satan. Even with the best intentions one cannot be free of self prescribed ideals and opinions that are going to be in conflict with the separate worlds of other individuals and their private universes. Someone else will have their own ideas of the ideal universe and their idea of what is good and best for all will be different than yours.
If you look at the way religion divides itself into churches of name and intention (All seen as good by those who name their church) we see the examples of God, and good as it becomes democratic in nature. The Christians became Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Southern Baptists etc. etc. The Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ and Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) parted ways due primarily to disagreements concerning liberal trends and the development of a denominational structure within the Christian Church. The split occurrs as local congregations refuse to take part in rapidly developing extra-congregational organizations that eventually evolve into a General Assembly. They are only from individual opinion and belief able to surrender to an individual perception of reality and individual perception of God thru the belief or identification with the ego as an individual. Without the experience of a God that is everything and bigger than the individual universe, one cannot surrender to anything other than individuality. The individual and the individual universe is a construct. God/consciousness is without a face, and no matter what face you put on God, it will never contain God. Being Human is defined by the ego, yet being human is not ever confined by the ego in Union with God.
"I and my Father are One," a statement when interpreted by the ego, means God as the personal universe, the universe/God are part and parcel to each other.
Consciousness is ONE, and it exists as the foundation of all reflections of individuality. One can experience it if one steps outside of individuality, and in Union with it find themselves in everything and everyone as every-one. Surrendering to That means one surrenders to consciousness that supports all individuality in all of its manifestations of duality. Good and its opposite Bad, come from the same source. It does not come forth from the un-manifest without cause.
"Ye are gods," the individual pulls forth from their perceptions of reality, that which is within the individual conscious awareness, from the un-manifest into the manifest.
The individual dualistic universe contains all that is believed to be real. One creates good and bad and the belief that one should be chosen for over the other, AFTER one has chosen to bring both into their body experience, and their extended body which is the outer universe.

From this centre of consciousness, each of us can perceive, using our senses, that it is possible that there is an eternal and infinite universe-- out there.
From this center of consciousness that is the ego, one can dream any dream that is the dream where individuality is the center of the universe.

From the immersion of awareness into consciousness itself, Individual consciousness is witnessed as a projection of habitual identification with personality. It is witnessed as the feminine and masculine halves of the human brain and nervous system stepping outward into the physical senses, being self absorbed into the nature of good and evil, in the knowledge of personality and separation.

Goodness and Godness from the individual universe is always relative to personal opinion.

If it's all God, its all good but then to the ego, Good is relative and has its opposite, bad. Judgment derived from personal expectations and perceptions then takes God and cuts it up as it sees fit, to keep what personality likes and then ignores or condemns the rest in personal judgment.

Megastar
Megastar
ON THE WAY TO 2,000,000 HITS
============================
Amazingly, this thread--based on the pneumatological (spiritual) principle that GOD is not a person, but the One Being in each of us and the One Being in which we live, move and have our Being, as individuals--from the King family is still going strong.

The Spirit of GOD in each of us must be at work to send us such a gift.

BTW, a member of our family, in New Brunswick, Canada, just sent the Kings the following gift. It went to other members from coast to coast.

In the spirit of agape, I pass it on to each and every one of you. To all, no exceptions, the GOD-like people at Sciencagogo, nameste:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=2031275251916&source=jl999

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Thank you Rev. What a lovely card! I return good wishes of the season to you, and wish you and others reading this many more happy celebrations, (of whatever seasonal variety), in the future.

Megastar
Megastar
Ellis, just recently, I saw an amazing documentary about parrots in Australia. It always amazes me that beautiful things such as birds--when there are too many of them in one place--can also be such awful pests.

Maybe you can point us to a site on this.

Reminds me of the story of the golfer--an atheist who also did not believe in life after death--who died on the golf course, on a Sunday.

He was shocked to find himself in the next world and feared he would be sent to hell.

But, to his surprise he found himself a member of a heavenly golf club in a heavenly place.

"Some angel must have made a mistake" he thought, and kept it to himself.

Furthermore: Everything--including the food and the house on the border of the course, and the beautiful caddies--was free. In addition: every time he played, he played a perfect game. WOW! What fun!!!!

However, after a month of this, he was so bored that he decided to confess to the angel in charge that he really was an atheist: "I hear that there is a challenging course in hell, let me go there. Please, send me to hell", he said.

The angel replied: Did no one tell you? YOU ARE IN HELL, ALREADY !!!!!!

Megastar
Megastar
ABOUT LOCATING GOD
==================

Check out:

http://www.ucobserver.org/faith/2010/01/interview_john_spong/

IN THE FORUM

Retired Episcopalian bishop John Shelby Spong--who, in my opinion is a non-theist--was asked a question about locating 'God'. He responded: "I don't think you can locate God, or define God. All you can do is define the human experience of God, and that might be delusional."

I responded to his comment:

I agree. Any god that can be located is an idol. The atheists are right, in this sense god does not exist. For this reason, when I write the name of the Divine Being, I no longer feel comfortable using the noun God, even when I capitalize it. It implies that such a 'god' is a three-dimensional and human-like supernatural being who lives out there--separate and apart from us. No wonder atheists like Richard Dawkins call on theists to produce the evidence that such a 'god' exists.

Whenever I meet Dawkins-like atheists, which I respect, I always ask: Do you believe that, despite the reality of evil, Good is possible; so is having Order out chaos possible, and Desirable? They usually respond, "Yes!" Then I respond: There is G.O.D.

GOD is an acronym, not a noun. A noun is too small to describe the concept. This thought came to me when I read Tennyson's poem, Higher Pantheism.

GOD, as I understand the concept has no dimensions, no properties (Nicola Tesla) and no gender. GOD simply is Being--not a being--is Existence, is Law, Light, Spirit, Love--all that IS, which, being Self-evident needs no proof.
========================================
Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)
The Higher Pantheism

1 The sun, the moon, the stars, the seas, the hills and the plains,-

2 Are not these, O Soul, the Vision of Him who reigns?

3 Is not the Vision He, tho' He be not that which He seems?

4 Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?

5 Earth, these solid stars, this weight of body and limb,

6 Are they not sign and symbol of thy division from Him?

7 Dark is the world to thee; thyself art the reason why,

8 For is He not all but thou, that hast power to feel "I am I"?

9 Glory about thee, without thee; and thou fulfillest thy doom,

10 Making Him broken gleams and a stifled splendour and gloom.

11 Speak to Him, thou, for He hears, and Spirit with Spirit can meet-

12 Closer is He than breathing, and nearer than hands and feet.

13 God is law, say the wise; O soul, and let us rejoice,

14 For if He thunder by law the thunder is yet His voice.

15 Law is God, say some; no God at all, says the fool,

16 For all we have power to see is a straight staff bent in a pool;

17 And the ear of man cannot hear, and the eye of man cannot see;

18 But if we could see and hear, this Vision-were it not He?

==========000000000000============

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rev wrote:
"Whenever I meet Dawkins-like atheists, which I respect, I always ask: Do you believe that, despite the reality of evil, Good is possible; so is having Order out chaos possible, and Desirable? They usually respond, "Yes!" Then I respond: There is G.O.D."

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Maybe "god" is a dog that walks backwards because that spells "dog" too!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
But then if order could be said to be derived from Chaos as G.O.D. who or what created the chaos to give birth to order, and is chaos really chaos or just a perception of incomplete knowledge of reality?

Reducing God to an acronym, or defining something that comes out of something less, then reduces God to an effect of something much greater than the effect. Preachers try to define God or lead their flock to God thru definition and reason based on some kind of belief. If a leader could lead someone to the direct experience of God then that would supersede any belief or acronym related idea and release God from the back pocket of the mind as a relative changing ideal or opinion.

One could have a greater appreciation of something judged as chaos and find something worth while in it rather than continuing to separate it out from God, forever supporting evil as something that has just as much weight and power as God in the opposing thought or force.

An atheist will never subscribe to a G.O.D. (that which is good orderly and desirable) if it is forever threatened by that which is not good orderly and desirable. They will find anything that is threatened as weak and not safe from invasive and opposing forces of equal strength. Intelligence will always supersede superstition.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Rev wrote:
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Maybe "god" is a dog that walks backwards because that spells "dog" too!
Dyslectics have the same problem. When they have insomnia they worry about if there is one, all night laugh

But seriously, Ellis, chaos is simply G.O.D. in the making.

In my opinion, the only real atheists are those who reject all that is good, ones who have no qualms about being selfish and evil. They live as though Reality is incapable of evolving eternally and infinitely into beaautiful Being.

Atheists who accept and live by the principle that goodness and order are possible, IMO, are not a-theists; they are non-theists, as am I, Bishop John Shelby Spong and other like thinkers.

Most positive atheists have in mind the same "God" as do fundamentalists. "He" is a human-like supernatural and dimensional being who exists and created us. This is why they keep asking theists for evidence. BTW, self-existent Reality, Being as IS, is all the evidence untheists need.

IMO, if there was such a fundamentalist god he would be an idol.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

But seriously,chaos is simply G.O.D. in the making.

In the opinions and beliefs of the evolving human, the order of the universe is based on convenience. Until one finds that the universe meets ones expectations, G.O.D. is always less than present in ones Being.

In my opinion, the only real atheists are those who reject all that is good, ones who have no qualms about being selfish and evil. They live as though Reality is incapable of evolving eternally and infinitely into beaautiful Being.

But then the selfishness of the Un-theist or Uni-theist in his/her beliefs, are often ignored as he/she judges the one who says he does not believe in the G.O.D, or the projected ever coming order that is to be the eventual manifestation of G.O.D.
The Un-theist or Uni-theist in dialogue with the atheist who measures his beliefs against the atheist, with claims his beliefs see order coming where he still sees chaos, is not standing in G.O.D.. He (the atheist) still has yet to understand or even experience the order within the universe that appears to and is described by the Un-theist/Un-theist while the focus in on the ever present, as chaos or the coming of G.O.D..

The proverbial hypocrite, that must first cast out the beam from thine own eye; before he shall see clearly enough to cast out the mote of thy brother's eye,(Mt 7:5) will have a difficult time trying to convince someone else that there is something different than what the suffering eye sees by confirming the opposing thought as real and then joining them in the experience.

Logically, if God is ever evolving and changing into eternity, it is evolving out of the ever re-ocurring chaos and can never be the G.O.D. that is projected in the ever coming and evolving infinite future that is ever coming or never comes.

Atheists who accept and live by the principle that goodness and order are possible, IMO, are not a-theists; they are non-theists, as am I, Bishop John Shelby Spong and other like thinkers.

Thinking derived from a lack of experience often creates a shuffling of ideas to appease the mind in its identification with reasons that are personal, or based on personal beliefs. They can be implied as universal but such a democratic process of applying labels to an idea never lives for very long before the label and the idea changes again. Applying ones personal ideas to the idea of democratic consensus often bolsters the ego into the feeling of righteousness but it is a weak proposition when in the final analysis one says there is no proof other than my own opinion.
Everyone knows opinions are constantly changing.

Most positive atheists have in mind the same "God" as do fundamentalists. "He" is a human-like supernatural and dimensional being who exists and created us. This is why they keep asking theists for evidence. BTW, self-existent Reality, Being as IS, is all the evidence untheists need.

Being, from opinion and belief, continues to be the changing of relative projections of those beliefs and references, to the identification with what differentiates G.O.D. (Goodness, Order and Desirability) from everything that is not Good, Orderly and Desirable.
Ergo, the Untheist or Unitheist title applied in such a scenario is a projection of a God or Being that IS G.O.D., and Chaos which stands side by side of Being and G.O.D. is its counterpart. This Chaos then not of G.O.D. is the convenient excuse for the judgments and measures created by the Un-theist or Uni-theist to identify with the ideal projection of reality. This is simply psychological self justification.
To the ego there must be separate ideals of projection in the idea that the ones being judged as being and perpetuating evil are not of God or G.O.D. and that evil must change to become God or G.O.D. This is the only way the ego can justify itself as being what it wants to be within the confines of G.O.D.

IMO, if there was such a fundamentalist god he would be an idol.
Anything that is an attachment to personal opinions and is not universal to all regardless of belief and opinion, becomes idolatry. Generally speaking, when one is continually seeking to elevate ones self from the other by the identification and aggrandizement of personal opinion and value, that reflection is not so much of Being, but of a system of affirmations in self worth values.

Megastar
Megastar
Ellis, I repeat
... IMO, if there was such a fundamentalist god he would be an idol.
Ellis, to be fair to theists: Except for those who believe that there was a historical Jesus, and that he was God when he was in our midst and on earth, well-read theists do not think of 'God' as a human-like being.

Ask them: Does 'God' have eyes and ears and a physical body like the bodies we have? Is 'God' a being located in space and time? and you will usually get the response: No!

IMO, what theists have is a language problem, involving location and gender. The language adult theists use in their writing and speaking, especially the kind of language they use in sermons and prayers, causes children to take them literally and grownups to become atheists.

As a unitheist, I try to avoid this problem of gender and location by the using of the acronym G.O.D--all that is good, orderly and desirable. I have to trust non-theists, atheists and agnostics not to put their own spin on what I am trying to say. BTW, unitheists, like Buddhists, are non-theists. Please do not confuse non-theism with atheism.

Last edited by Revlgking; 01/23/10 07:42 PM.

Megastar
Megastar
Remember: Communication is a two-way street!

It's been a while since I've been here to catch up-- you guys are getting deep in some of your recent discussions.

I too like to think of unitheism as broad-based, open to new ideas, and still growing and evolving. In my form of the concept I do prefer "being" (as in beingness) to "a being" for the creative and sustaining power of existence. Or perhaps I should capitalize it— Being— even over any form of God, which has a lot of baggage. Not to mention the fact that I don't consider Being to be almighty, yet you could say most-powerful rather than all-powerful.

I've written most of what's on the unitheist website, so it might be that from my opinions (being the opinion of just one person) unitheism could be construed by an outsider as more focused than broad. Therefore I definitely like the views of Rev. King and other thoughtful unitheists to show the scope of the concept as I envision it— we agree on basics yet each have our own take and individuality on word usage and perhaps a few of the other details. Being could certainly be called God if one prefers. Keep up the good writing and thinking!

Page 55 of 120 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.