Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lathana Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and it looks like a really interesting place. I've recently posted the first two articles in a series on time travel:

Time Travel - Science or Science Fiction http://sentientonline.net/?p=290

and

Time Travel - Can You Change the Past? http://sentientonline.net/?p=273

I've done a class on time travel at uni with Phil Dowe as the lecturer, and I did well on my essay on the Multiverse (I'll be posting that soon too) but it's been a while and I'm a bit rusty, and I know things change quickly so I'm worried I might have missed a relevant breakthrough or something. I've done lots of research, I just thought I'd see what you guys think. I'd really appreciate any thoughts or opinions ^_^

Cheers,
Alanna

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hi, Lathana. Thanks for the interesting reading material.

Lewis's theory implies a predetermined, immutable fabric of space-time, hence no freewill. Right? But I wonder how he would explain quantum superposition and quantum computation. David Deutsch sees the Many Worlds Theory as the only logical explanation, if I'm not mistaken. Has Lewis addressed this?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
L
Lathana Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi,

My essay the multiverse (I'll publish it soon) coincidentally is about just that - it's an examination of Deutsch's claim that the many worlds theory is the only logical one. In one section the essay compares his theory to that of Lewis and takes the point of view that the autonomy principle Deutsch proposes to solve is the free will problem framed in a different way, and so doesn't add enough to the argument to differentiate it, thus no need for the many worlds theory. But I do think the many worlds theory is nevertheless an interesting and potentially valid one. And I believe Lewis does take a determinist viewpoint, but compatibilism can solve this issue to some extent. I followed up my class on time travel with a class that compared a determinist view of the world with a random one, and so I'm going to go into the free will problem a lot more deeply later, I think I just felt it too complicated to go into much in those articles.

And I'm sorry, my knowledge of quantum superposition and quantum computations is lacking, so I'm not sure how Lewis would address that.

Thanks for reading my articles and for the feedback, it's really appreciated.

Cheers,
Alanna

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Since your studies involve the possibility of the 'multiverse', it might be very useful to gain a good insight into the nature of quantum computation - although I'm definitely not the one to provide it! The following is from D. Deutsch at http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/02/72734?currentPage=all

"I think that when universal quantum computers are finally achieved technologically, and when they are routinely performing computations where there is simply more going on there than a classical computer or even the whole universe acting as a computer could possibly achieve, then people will get very impatient and bored, I think, with attempts to say that those computations don't really happen, and that the equations of quantum mechanics are merely ways of expressing what the answer would be but not how it was obtained.

The programmers will know perfectly well how it was obtained, and they will have programmed the steps that will have obtained it. The fact that answers are obtained from a quantum computer that couldn't be obtained any other way will make people take seriously that the process that obtained them was objectively real.

Nothing more than that is needed to lead to the conclusion that there are parallel universes, because that is specifically how quantum computers work."

L
Lathana Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ahh yes, I love the idea of quantum computers. I'll definitely read that, always wanted to know more about them, thanks!

L
Lathana Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ello again.

Just letting you know I've finally uploaded my article examining Deutsch's claim that the multiverse theory is the only one that can resolve the time travel paradoxes.

http://sentientonline.net/?p=319

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Alanna ^_^

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hi, Alanna.

Thanks for the enjoyable article.

The notorious problem, of course, is that, in the absence of further evidence, there is a great deal of scope for different assumptions and speculative ideas leading to conflicting but logically consistent arguments. For example, you say:

"If there really was a parallel universe for every possibility, then surely there would be some changes in the laws of physics based on different possibilities in the very early stages of the big bang, where fundamental laws were born based off the very specificity of the process."

- Maybe, but perhaps the specific laws of physics are determined by D-Brane events, and ours are the only ones that could have resulted from our particular Big Bang. There could, of course, be an infinity of other different Big Bangs – different energies, for example - producing an additional and different multiverse layer; but that set of parallel universes would be unconnected to the quantum histories of our multiverse.

"If the conditions present in the big bang had deviated even slightly, our universe might not have been suitable for life. It is more logically convincing in this case to assume that there are many universes and thus many chances of there being one suitable for life, then it is to assume that our single universe just happened against all odds to support life.[33] Looked at in this light, the multiverse theory could actually be the best explanation for why life evolved the way it did.[34]"

- Yes, it is more logically convincing, but again, it may not be true that alternative laws of physics were ever possible within our post-Big Bang multiverse. The D-Brane idea (or similar) implying a additional layer of multiverse, would also provide such an explanation.

"When the new universe splits off in order to accommodate a change"

- According to Deutsch, every possible quantum event is actualised in its own universe. In that case, every possible universe already exists, but your wording suggests that a universe splits off specifically in order to 'accommodate a change'.

Re the double slit experiment (Young's experiment), you say that the multiverse is "only one possible explanation". Can you cite another?

Discussions whether the following situations are derived from a Knowledge based Causal Loop may themselves become a part of ongoing studies.

In 1998 Australian researcher, Ronald Pegg, discovered Evidence of TIME TRAVEL.

Simply put, he found modern Computer Technology described in ancient texts and depicted by people from the past.

He also identified where, when, and how Time Travellers were described and perceived.

I have investigated his evidence regarding Time Travel, and as one response I have created a new field of study entitled DOOPARTs.

An interactive on-line Evaluation Session introduces you to the amazing discoveries of Ronald Pegg.

A DOOPArt is where the description and contents of a modern technological object have been found in very unusual or seemingly impossible contexts, such as being depicted in hieroglyphs or documented in ancient myths and legends as well as what are now known as religious texts.

Unlike existing oopart studies which deem the ancient cultures themselves as having technology equal to or more advanced than our current level, a DOOPArt specifically describes certain mid 1990s technology, that has somehow been seen operating in the past.

The linked session examines ten ancient texts.

Last edited by Eddy Pengelly; 10/15/09 04:52 AM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
My God. It never ends.

Superstar
Superstar
Next we'll be hearing about CDs being unearthed with the remains of Pharaohs, or found in embalmed ancient Egyptians. No, it never ends.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

The CD's themselves have not been unearthed, but Egyptian scribes have documented them as being present.

This link shows where Hieroglyphs depict modern computer technology

K
K
Moving this to not quite science....

Here's an interesting take on the LHC and time travel...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/space/13lhc.html?em

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
With respect, Kate:

For the record, I object to the moving of this topic to NQS. If every thread were to be relegated to NQS on the grounds that a single post introduced unscientific absurdities, then there would be precious few threads elsewhere. There's serious interest among physicists regarding the nature of time and the fact that at the quantum level - with particular reference to quantum uncertainty - the arrow of time appears to point both ways. Among the first to form persuasive related thought experiments was John Wheeler (link below)*

I would add, re your link, that however bizarre the theory of Dr. Nielsen and Dr. Ninomiya may appear, it would be somewhat immodest and presumptuous for lay people to dismiss it out of hand as unscientific - lacking, as we do, the ability to respond to those physicists with a cogent opposing argument.

Alanna's review and discussion of the related science and philosophy merits more credit.

* http://www.metanexus.net/magazine/tabid/68/id/8580/Default.aspx

"The delayed choice experiment does not allow us to change the past or send signals backward in time. However, it startlingly demonstrates how the actions of an observer now can help determine the nature of reality that was - in the past. Since the photon has already transited the slit system when the decision is made, the photon cannot itself have decided whether to follow one path, the other path, or both paths. Which state of affairs was in fact the case (in the past) is determined by the observer (in the future)."

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
This looks like spam to me. Please stop posting this sort of stuff or we'll take action. URLs removed

Kate

we noticed that serveral of our cd's had become missing in the lab and was wondering if you have been able to construct a device to read these cd's.

durring one of our experiments , a hasty one that was to be no more than a a simple physics experiment on the effects of rotating charged disk and there ability to overcome gravity as depicted in the below video.

we noticed that several of the disk had taken on a similar appearance as those in the following web site.

and that we still had the exact same number of disk
only that two of these disk had changed their appearance dramatically.

ever since I have been following this thread I have wondered if somehow our disk managed to trade places with the disk in the past after our experiment was completed and the disk were securely placed back into their associated jewel cases.

the problem is that the disk in question held the utmost vital information , although the disk were duplicates this information , if fallen into the wrong hands could disrupt the future if someone back in time had the ability to read the data contained on the disk.

Last edited by Kate; 10/17/09 12:26 AM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Kate

Its OK you can delete my previous post and this one
as I have been notified that the disk have been located
however due to the delicate nature of the contents of the disk I cannot divulge there location or provide any further information concerning the disk.

to reply to your notice concerning the possibilities of my inclusion of spam , I will need to consult my wikipedia...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(electronic)

hmmm .... according to the above definition , spam and spamming is a type of mass mailing of sorts , I have not noticed that the links that I post were getting posted elsewhere other than on SAGG.

there may be a glitch in your web site programming that is somehow re-posting my links to other web sites.

but I guarantee you that I am not doing any type of mass mailing through your web site.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
K
Thanks for the link RW... interesting!

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
T I M E!

Technological Indications Measuring Existence!

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Kate

Yes, interesting. Lest anyone mistake what's being said, in this context 'determined' (by the observer) doesn't mean simply 'found to be so'. It means 'caused to be so' by the very act of observation - even though that observation may take place billions of years after the event.

Ellis

How about Temporal Intuition Modified by Experiment.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.