Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: eccles

Note that the inevitable consequence of us all moving to a position of "benign tolerance" is an ineffable transcendental state where we all shut up.

I like to look at it differently.
There is, being emotionally critical, and then there is constructive criticism.
One is personally invested to the point of losing ones own inherent desire to participate in the process because one is too busy looking at what the other person is doing. And the other is more of a multifunctional state where one is enlivened by the bigger picture and can acknowledge all the steps along the way with greater clarity.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
We haven't even gotten to the examination of using (abusing) language to mask one's intent and obfuscate one's meaning. But we can't even discuss obfuscation without obfuscation. Using language like this makes one feel like one is doing science, which is not near so difficult as actually learning about science and actually practicing science.

It's a new game called "tin-like."

E
E
TT

The "constructivist criticism" mode has been attempted by many on numerous forums,(somebody counted he has posted on 283). Such criticism is ignored. G.I. Gurdjieff suggested "shock tactics" to "wake the sleeper from his circling thoughts", but I think the coma is permanent.

FF

There is no evidence that coberst understands the problems of applying the word "science" to "cognition". From your own study of Popper you will be aware of his dismissal of Freud's psychoanalysis as pseudo-science, yet our eponymous poster delights in Freud. The world abounds with overextension or blatant misapplication of the term "scientific" by those who would benefit from its associated kudos.(witness for example the terms "Scientology" and "Christian Science" as extremes).

As a published "experimental psychologist" (too long ago than I care to remember) I can guarantee that mimicing the "hard" sciences ultimately breaks down with the "personal equation" which is psychology's equivalent to the "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle i,e. that observation of behaviour both interfers with that behaviour and usually cannot be extrapolated to the non-experimental (real-life) context.

Last edited by eccles; 10/05/09 04:32 PM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: eccles
TT

The "constructivist criticism" mode has been attempted by many on numerous forums,(somebody counted he has posted on 283). Such criticism is ignored. G.I. Gurdjieff suggested "shock tactics" to "wake the sleeper from his circling thoughts", but I think the coma is permanent.
extrapolated to the non-experimental (real-life) context.

Then walk away and leave it alone...

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

E
E
Quote:
Then walk away and leave it alone...

You are correct. We all should! My posts in this matter are now triggered by those like yourself who reinforce his obsessive-compulsive syndrome.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.