Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3181 09/12/05 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that neonatal trauma (ie-born 3 months premature follwed by 2-3 months incubation, needles, tests, etc) can affect you psychologically later on in life? (ie-fear of any medical procedure, no matter how minor? ie-anything form eye drops to root canals.) Where can i get more information on this?

#3182 09/12/05 09:02 PM
Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Originally posted by ceinstein:
Is it true that neonatal trauma (ie-born 3 months premature follwed by 2-3 months incubation, needles, tests, etc) can affect you psychologically later on in life?
A lot depends upon the type of trauma the premature baby is subjected to. Even normal term babies, most especially the first born, can be subject to oxygen loss in the birth canal. The most serious can suffer from a slow, even a retarded mental development. Epilepsy, seems less prevalent in Ceasarian babys, however there are a number of common drugs which undoubtedly affect the unborn child during its first tri-mester.
Apparently it is believed there are advantages conferred by keeping the umbilical cord connected for some minutes after a 'normal' birth.
It is also proven that a babys hearing is well developed and carried thru the amniotic fluid to its ears. Their movement often stops abruptly when music is played, or if a father talks against his wifes stomach, it seems that the baby is listening and processing information.
If I were you I would look up 'Perinatal Trauma' or 'Pre-Natal Trauma' in a decent search engine. I believe there is a 'Journal of Perinatal Medicine' to be found somwhere.
If you are a potential father I suggest you stay cool and dont communicate your worrys needlessly to your other half. Let nature take its course. The Psychology of worrying can be very communicable. That said, the quicker the actual birth, the less problems occur.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.