Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31717 08/19/09 05:16 PM
A
airbomb Offline OP
OP Offline
A
So a missive shakeup of the energy industry is upon us in North America and for good reason. After decades of burning cheap, readily available fossil fuels people are waking up to the fact that these sources (coal, natural gas) need to be forsaken in the era of Co2 reduction So where does that leave us? Well with a huge hole in our electricity grid for starters. What can we use to fill it? Renewables (wind, solar, geo0thermal) are all effective for small commercial and residential use but what about industrial output? These innovations have shown themselves to be unable to successfully meet our energy needs on a large scale. I think that our only option is nuclear what do you think?

Last edited by Kate; 08/31/09 02:28 PM.
Z
Superstar
Superstar
Z

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Of course nuclear energy is less immediately polluting than carbon-producing power producers.

BUT

What do you do with the radioactive waste, and although accidents are few, when they happen it is disastrous for years afterwards.

It's a dilemma with no answer.

But here in Oz we have heaps of uranium which we export to other countries to produce 'clean' energy whilst we produce energy from 'dirty' brown coal for our own use!

Very concise how you wrote this.

I have a nuclear power plant that I see off in the distance that I see driving by. It's shut down now because of problems during operation. A lot of the people are releived.

Nuclear energy makes me nervous. Something has to be contained in an area that is way hot. How close are we to accomplishing cold fusion?

Looking forward to getting to know you.
Originally Posted By: airbomb
So a missive shakeup of the energy industry is upon us in North America and for good reason. After decades of burning cheap, readily available fossil fuels people are waking up to the fact that these sources (coal, natural gas) need to be forsaken in the era of Co2 reduction So where does that leave us? Well with a huge hole in our electricity grid for starters. What can we use to fill it? Renewables (wind, solar, geo0thermal) are all effective for small commercial and residential use but what about industrial output? These innovations have shown themselves to be unable to successfully meet our energy needs on a large scale. I think that our only option is nuclear what do you think?

you are right, at least in my view. nuclear reactors produce vast amounts of energy using very little fuel. research on finding more eco-friendly waste disposal methods is ongoing. clean energy sources like solar/wind just produce too little energy per million $ investment.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.