Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31599 08/13/09 12:32 AM
J
OP Offline
J
ufo's are just what they say they are,..unidentified flying objects.How do we know they are from other planets? They could simply be new technology the government has and does not want to release! on the other hand they could be from out of this world! Who knows.I have saw two ufo's in my life.The first time I was in a car and my mother was driving, we saw a lot of cars pulled over on the side of the road so we pulled over as well,and everyone had there cameras and video recorders running, but what was strange was the way it shot from one side of the sky to the other in the blink of an eye.This is a true story.The other one i saw was triangle shaped at 1st, but it was constantly changing shapes and was awfully close to the ground, i could literally see the interior of the object.Now im not saying it was aliens in controll of these crafts, it could have been man or alien for all i know.But i would not put it past the government to have this kind of technology and be keeping it secret.What do you guys think?

Im here to get some thoughts out and to hear others.I guess you could say im just a curious person!
jondo1976 #31620 08/13/09 02:42 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
People do not decide what they are going to believe. They can only profess what they actually believe or want to believe.

If God means "love" or "truth" or "reality" or "the universe itself" or "peanut butter" or any some such, I don't see the purpose of using the term God other than people are just confused in their thinking.

However, when most people use the term, they are referring to a supernatural God. I actively disbelieve in a supernatural creator God. I do not assert there is any scientific evidence against it. Science is incapable of addressing the idea. I cannot prove that no God exists; nor do I believe any such proof is possible.

The problem is arrogance, but not in the way that religious people harp. I have more humility about a God in whom I actively disbelieve than religious believers have for the God in which they claim to have absolute faith.

The central problem is this: We are humans. Everything we do is human. We cannot circumvent our humanity. We cannot ameliorate it. And because we are human beings we can never make any reasoned judgments about what God wants or would do or thinks or what it's capable of doing.

The very instant we think, "Well, this makes sense" or "Yes! I believe a God would do that!" we are applying our own human intellect to an entity that is vastly more powerful than we can perceive. THAT is arrogance. "I'm here, so God just MUST care about me!" The embodiment of hubris.

We have no intellectual basis for thinking that God, even given that it exists, is even aware of us let alone actually cares about us. Anything else is vanity.

Some believers realize this and have come up with the idea of revelation or direct insight from God (Muslims call it Fitrah, I think). This they believe solves the problem. "God transcends logic and evidence, but that's okay, I have a direct line." Except it doesn't solve the problem. The vessel of knowledge is the human brain - and those brains are fallible. Revelation is indistinguishable from delusion.

This is a philosophical point; not a scientific one. As I mentioned, science is not capable of answering any question one cares to ask. That is, only certain kinds of questions are amenable to scientific inquiry.

Science has been wildly successful. Other kinds of "knowledge" acutely less so. But faking it is easier than doing the real thing. Obscurantists compensate for this in two ways. The first is to say that science isn't so great after all; the second is to say that their view is scientific. The arguments can manifest themselves in several ways.

TheFallibleFiend #31623 08/13/09 04:57 PM
Z
Superstar
Superstar
Z
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
I do not assert there is any scientific evidence against it.
The absence of God can work, if you believe, Universe was formed from initial pinpoint singularity (or even better, from nothing, as Prof. Hawking is believing...) - but what if logics of Aether model works better in this point?

After then God becomes an intuitive allegory of infinitely hot and dense environment, which could explain observable reality in completelly logical and consistent way (like many other archetypes) - and scientists would become active deniers of the only concept, which could explain our reality in "scientific way"...

Zephir #31678 08/17/09 10:20 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Do your research before purchasing a K&N air filter. I have had three ASE & GM certified mechanics tell me that they can cause a lot of problems. The oil used to coat the filter can drip/coat the mass air flow sensor in some vehicles (like my 1996 Trans AM WS6), causing the computer to do all sorts of funky things trying to compensate for the incorrect readings coming from the soiled sensor. Now, because of this thing, I need a full tune-up and my catalytic converters have been cooked, needing replacement. Some vehicles may be safer than others, but do your homework and talk to someone knowledgeable.

In the interest of ease, this recipe calls for ready-to-bake biscuit dough. Feel free to make your own biscuits, though; it's certainly easy enough to do (see "How to Make Basic Biscuits," under Related eHows). Serves five hungry and non-cholesterol-conscious people.

“What a beautiful, fascinating book! This story of a resourceful seven-year-old growing up in an isolated home in Maine will leave you wondering what 'dysfunctional' actually means and will prove that there are many different shapes of love.”

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.