Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22077 06/14/07 02:25 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
This TV programme starts this week in Australia. It is an off shoot of Dr Who and the title is actually an anagram of Doctor Who! It is supposed to be "dark and ironic SF" so I'll give it a go. It's on commercial Channel 10 so I think I'll video so as not to have to endure the ads! SF with ads is unendurable.

PS Has anyone seen this already?

Ellis #22289 06/23/07 05:09 PM
B
B
I've watched the entire first season on DVD and I found it very addictive. Some episodes are better than others, there is the inevitable getting to know the characters and if you are familiar with Dr. Who history (especially the most recent series), you'll understand some episodes quite a bit better.

It is definitely a adult targeted show; I wouldn't consider it appropriate for children. (for teenagers, well, depends on the teen concerned). Includes sex and violence. It also has some episodes that I could only classify as horror. Without a doubt, it is darker than Dr. Who. While they always win (in that the world doesn't end), the characters get hurt and don't get all better and happy by the next episode.

I liked it very much and I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinion.

belladona #22291 06/24/07 04:39 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
Yes I did watch the first episode and quite enjoyed it. I was born in Wales, near Cardiff and I found the programme hilarious as a result. The whole 'Cardiff as the centre of the universe' thing was very funny. There is obviously going to be some rather more confronting stuff, and I doubt it will find a huge following here. What do you think? Luckily we will have the new Dr Who series starting this week to look forward to.

Ellis #22292 06/24/07 04:45 AM
S
S

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
scpg02 #22567 07/01/07 06:01 AM
M
M
It starts on sci-fi channel in the USA next September. I'm looking forward to it! We also get season 3 of Doctor Who about the same time. Life will be good!

Mike B in OKlahoma

"Never confuse with malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

MikeBinOK #22574 07/02/07 12:03 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
New series jut started here. What do people think of Martha, the new girl. I think she's great, -feisty, brainy and the Doctor seems to fancy her! It's looking good!!

Ellis #31115 07/13/09 01:14 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
Torchwood series 3 has just been on over 5 nights in the UK and Oz. It was really good! Very challenging ending and some harrowing dilemmas. Don't miss it if its on in the US --- It has an interesting plot and some excellent acting (especially from Peter Capaldi who is brilliant).

Ellis #31520 08/09/09 08:47 PM
G
gonena
Unregistered
gonena
Unregistered
G
It is definitely a adult targeted show; I wouldn't consider it appropriate for children. (for teenagers, well, depends on the teen concerned). Includes sex and violence. It also has some episodes that I could only classify as horror. Without a doubt, it is darker than Dr. Who. While they always win (in that the world doesn't end), the characters get hurt and don't get all better and happy by the next episode.

Last edited by Amaranth Rose II; 08/09/09 09:03 PM.
#31524 08/10/09 01:37 AM
E
Ellis Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
E
gonena; It is definitely a adult targeted show;

Yes it is--- Here in Australia it is screened on both cable and free to air with a warning of adult content, and some of the storylines are a bit raunchy I admit. The final series was quite confronting- but I have to say I prefer a series that has some unhappy consequences happen. I dislike shows that kill people off without any blood (or mourning), and the hero faces a barrage of fire and everyone misses.

That said-- there is nothing remotely realistic about Torchwood, it's SF. I also love that it's set in Cardiff (though the final was set in London too).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.