Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31158 07/16/09 02:33 PM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T

RabidApe@YT passed on the following bit of info to his viewers:

Microsoft purchased the rights to Richard Feynman¹s lectures for Cornell¹s ³Messenger Series² and has published them on the web. (You have to download and install Microsoft¹s Silverlight to view them.)

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
That's very good news, what with R.F. being one of my heroes an' all (and I've just installed Silverlight!)

Anyone interested in the lectures might also be interested in this book: 'Genius - Richard Feynman and modern physics', by James Gleick, ISBN 0 316 90316 7. I found it hard to put down when I first read it 15 yrs ago, and again more recently.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Z
Superstar
Superstar
Z
Feynman was brilliant physicist indeed, but I don't share his positivistic approach to physics "Shut up and calculate!"

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Although it's often quoted, there appears to be no evidence that he actually said it. No one (that I know of) cites a source or hints at the circumstances under which it was said. You may know better, of course.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I, of course, know nothing about Feynman- but I think it is a pity if he did not utter the words quoted as I think it is possibly the most cogent thing I have read in a long time!

T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Wiki says it was uttered by "David Mermin" who wrote the fine book "It's about Time" which is an attempt to describe special relativity and its consequences at the level a competent HS student could understand it.

(I found myself getting angry while reading it that such a book did not exist when I was taking undergraduate physics.)

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Ellis
I, of course, know nothing about Feynman-

Shame on you. That'll be 10 Hail Marys and no TV for a week.

Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Wiki says it was uttered by "David Mermin"

Wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit peeved, after all I bet not many pipples have heard of him (or is it my turn with the Hail Marys?)
Maybe it's because he doesn't play bongo drums and do his homework in topless bars grin

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
GULP!
I shall scuttle off to Wiki this guy now--- then I'll indulge in a nice half hour or so on the Jane Austen site to regroup!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.