Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
emaad Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Year 2012 a very deadly year for Earth..On this day Solar storms will destroy communication system of whole world and will Push us back in the past.............Read
very intresting artcile on this topic by clicking the link below.

http://www.risethemag.com/viewarticles.aspx?aid=173

Superstar
Superstar
Sounds like we better stock up on transformers and other essential items to restore the power grid. We may experience the sky falling in more ways than one.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
For more paranoid and end of the world inspiring thoughts..
http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com
http://www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Superstar
Superstar
Wow! All sorts of doom and gloom scenarios are available. Should we adopt Dr. Strangelove's tactic and start putting people to live in mine shafts to preserve human life. Or would that not protect them sufficiently? What if the stresses on the Earth collapsed all the mine shafts?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Maybe sell space on the space station, and add RV hookups?? whistle

Superstar
Superstar
From the sounds of things, the space station would be fried also. All that electronic gear they depend on to keep them in orbit would likely suffer from that big a cataclysm. I want to be on the first ship to Mars and beyond. Maybe if we're lucky the coronal mass ejection from such a large solar event won't be pointed in our direction.

Isn't this the same year predicted by the Mayan calendar for the world to start over again?

- Kevat Shah
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Kevat Shah
Isn't this the same year predicted by the Mayan calendar for the world to start over again?

Yes; but no need to study the history books to find primitive modes of thought. Alas, there are still very many people on this planet who cling to such ideas. The renaissance...science...education...it all seems to have passed them by.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
This unsubstantiated prediction has the same veracity as all the others that foretell disaster. The thing is that we know if predictions are true only after they have become history. Searching through predictions and then exclaiming in delight that a prophet had predicted the event (usually in amibiguous code), does not validate a prophesy. History does. And there are very, very few cases that can survive investigation. On Dec. 22nd 2012 we will all know if this one stands the test of time, or whether it will join the million or so other predictions of doom resting in the rubbish bin!

Meanwhile I'll stock up on baked beans and bottled water!!!

Yea, I understand that the calls for Armageddon are over the top. The thing I find interesting is that the Mayans actually knew the exact date that the sun, earth and the center of the galaxy line up, which is supposed to be in 2012. Doesn't that make you wonder how a civilization not supposed to be so advanced actually figured out what a galaxy was and where its center was located before the telescope was invented in the Western World? Maybe they had telescopes before, but then lost the technology during some dark ages.

According to some astronomers, this alignment of sun, earth and the black hole at the center of the galaxy leads to an increase in sun spots.

- Kevat Shah
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Kevat Shah
"Doesn't that make you wonder how a civilization not supposed to be so advanced actually figured out what a galaxy was and where its center was located before the telescope was invented in the Western World?

I don't find myself wondering that.

While there's no reason to believe that they were any less intelligent than people of our day - and given a modern day education, they would doubtless have produced their share of Nobel Prize candidates - but they could not have known what a galaxy was. The Mayan understanding of the Milky Way was limited to what they could deduce by naked eye observation, and probably a mass of imaginative speculation. What they would have seen clearly, on dark, moonless nights, would have been a band of hazy light stretching across the sky. They were sufficiently far south to have seen the denser, brighter part of the band, i.e. the galactic centre. They evidently accumulated sufficient data to calculate various astronomical alignments, just as the builders of Stonehenge did.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
What the Mayans saw was thru the spiritual eye, their understanding of astrology still far exceeds the knowns of our current civilized world.
Oh, And I'm not talking of the Mayans as science and archeology believes them to have been, cutting the hearts out of their own kind in blood sacrifice.We would have to go a bit further back than humanity believes civilization existed with any amount of reasonable intelligence.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
T.T. "What the Mayans saw was thru the spiritual eye, their understanding of astrology still far exceeds the knowns of our current civilized world."

That's what I said. A mass of speculative imagination.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I agree, the majority of todays self conclusions concerning the Maya, Aztec and Egyptian philosophy and sciences are right up there on the same shelf with the extinction of the dinosaurs and human evolution, as speculative imagination.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Each of those belongs on a different shelf.

The theories of dinosaur extinction are supported by scientific evidence. The challenge, now, is to find further evidence to explain the apparent data discrepancy between theory models. There's still room for informed speculation.

Evolution...well, just study it, especially the research of the past decade. If you had done so, then you would realise that speculation has nothing to do with it.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Each of those belongs on a different shelf.
Possibly as a subject of discussion but when it comes down to determining fact, the shelf they sit on is the same.

The theories of dinosaur extinction are supported by scientific evidence.
The challenge, now, is to find further evidence to explain the apparent data discrepancy between theory models. There's still room for informed speculation.

Data discrepancy is pointing toward scientific evidence as being incorrect or correct but not determined or known to be either. So some speculate....

Evolution...well, just study it, especially the research of the past decade. If you had done so, then you would realise that speculation has nothing to do with it.
I see, there is no speculation or imagination involved in the study of something that is not determined to have any absolute or verified explanation. frown

Anyway, Like I said:
What the Mayans saw was thru the spiritual eye, their understanding of astrology still far exceeds the knowns of our current civilized world.
The fully functional human instrument still exceeds the boundaries of the mechanical instrument derived from the limitations of the imagination of the human instrument when it is not functioning at its intellectual and spiritual peak, or when blocked by the dogma of belief be it spiritual or scientific.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Making stuff up is still a lot easier than doing the actual work to develop understanding. Good thing there's real scientists willing to question and go back to the lab (or the field).

The product of science: mapping of the human genome, men on the moon, biological taxonomies, laws of physics.

The product of nonsensical blathering inspired by the afflatus of a fake psychic? More blathering.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
I see...

No. You don't see. Because you've chosen to remain totally ignorant of the facts. It would be pointless to attempt a useful dialogue until you have gained at least a basic understanding of the meaning of the term ‘natural selection’.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
I see...

No. You don't see. Because you've chosen to remain totally ignorant of the facts. It would be pointless to attempt a useful dialogue until you have gained at least a basic understanding of the meaning of the term ‘natural selection’.

I've chosen to accept more than the dogmatic approach to the what you can see, hear, feel and touch while in a particular state of intellectual and cognitive evolution. The type of thought approach that says we know what nature is, these are the facts that we claim to be self evident, and we accept nothing else, no other type of thought, and we claim authority. The authority that says, think this way, any other way is un-natural and unproductive.

Obviously dialogue has rules for those who want things to go in particular direction and have no tolerance for any other. The signs are usually the condescending remarks, general statements, and sometimes the childish threats to turn toward the moderators for censorship. C'est la vie.

S
Steeleagle
Unregistered
Steeleagle
Unregistered
S
If we were to say that Mayans through mathematical and cosmogonic calculation had guesstimated or reached the conclusion that an objet of considerable mass, was to crash agains the Earth and cause a catastrophe, I would be worried. When they say, the Mayans used their third eye and foresee the end of the world, it is just a good laugh.

Last edited by Steeleagle; 05/19/09 06:37 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.