Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SoBe8503
Unregistered
SoBe8503
Unregistered
S
Hey all, got a question.

I saw a documentary about dark matter. It stated that Vera Rubin found that the stars on the edge of a spiral galaxy move at the same speed as the stars in the center. Also known as the Galaxy Rotation Problem.

BUT scientists have proved that there is a super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy by measuring the immense speed of the stars in the center.

So which is it?

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
SoBe8503: "So which is it?"

It's both (probably). Whether the matter at the center is in the form of a black hole or millions of stars makes no difference to the orbital velocity of the outlying stars. The gravity would be the same either way. On the other hand, for those stars very close to the black hole I would think the effect of the dark matter ~50,000 lt.yrs. away, beyond the galactic rim, would be a very minor factor by comparison.

It's a good question, and I guess it really warrants a mathematical answer, but not from me I'm afraid grin

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Z
Superstar
Superstar
Z
Originally Posted By: SoBe8503
.. Vera Rubin found that the stars on the edge of a spiral galaxy move at the same speed as the stars in the center....
A few (supposedly equivalent) explanations of Galaxy Rotation Problem you can find here. It's basically a product of omnidirectional Universe expansion in connection to general relativity.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.