Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#425 05/29/06 11:36 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! "Peer review" should be re-examined. Novel ideas are rejected, not because it can be proved that the concept violates basic physical properties but only because it is at variance with what is popularly believed what is correct. Science is forced into mediocrity. Ptolemy's model of the solar system works and therefore a model based on a sun-centred solar system MUST BE WRONG! In fact it is even worse: Many of the journals have chief editors who have contributed to a certain field; and when they receive a manuscript that is at odds with what they have done, they do not even send the manuscript out for peer review. There are many such journals but I will in the mean time mention two: "Foundations of Physics" and "Annals of Physics".

- Well that's all very well Johnny Boy, and we might agree that this obsession with 'Peer Review' leads to mediocrity, but can you point to any Peer Reviewed Study that lends credence to your theory? wink

Blacknad

#426 05/30/06 09:25 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknad:
- Well that's all very well Johnny Boy, and we might agree that this obsession with 'Peer Review' leads to mediocrity, but can you point to any Peer Reviewed Study that lends credence to your theory? wink

Blacknad [/QUOTE]

I am trying my best to get my work peer reviewed. Editors refuse to even send them for reviewing. Other qualified scientists to whom I have sent my work for private reviewing just fall silent and I have trouble to contact them afterwards. Now I can assure you if anyone of these people could have found a single scientific mistake they would have been on me like a ton of bricks: I know this from bitter experience. Thus the fact that they treat me this way shows that they cannot find a fault, but are not willing to allow me to "confuse the presently accepted paradigm with facts".

My paper on the mechanism for superconduction has been submitted on 2 February to a journal of Elsevier. I am still waiting anxiously for a decision. My paper on the re-interpretation of quantum mechanics has been vetoed twice, before even being sent out for reviewing; on arguments like: "Our peer review system is very strict and I do not think your manuscript will pass (in other words: write within the presently accepted paradigm or shut up)" and "your paper is too speculative (It can be argued that all theoretical papers are speculative}". There is no theory in the world that is more speculative than string theory: like BCS it is nothing else but BS. This hogwash gets published because it is written by people who belong to an incestious brotherhood.

I have succeeded so far to get an overseas scientist of stature to review my book: This is what he wrote:

Review by Prof. Dr. Peer C Zalm

Eindhoven, Netherlands.

A note on the appraisal of J.F. Prins? book
?Superconduction at Room Temperature without Cooper pairs?

Although unusual, let me start by briefly introducing myself because this is pertinent to the appraisal of my statement below.
My name is Peter Cornelis Zalm. I am a physicist, working for Philips Research in Eindhoven [NL] since 1978 and Visiting Professor at Salford University in Manchester [UK] since 1991. My professional expertise focuses on ion-solid interactions and surface analysis. I (co-) authored well over 100 papers and refereed many times that number for leading international scientific journals. Of the latter I rejected some 60% and not all of those were strictly in my field. But if and when I could demonstrate an experiment or theory to be demonstrably flawed I considered myself qualified for the job. Also, since 1992 I always waive the reviewer?s right to remain anonymous but hitherto this has not provoked any of the rejected authors to challenge my verdict.

I bought Johan Prins? book because I know him and his work on ion implantation into diamond well and was intrigued by the results reported in his papers in Semiconductor Science & Technology Vol.18 supplement (2003). After carefully studying the theories presented in the book and email contact with Johan to clarify certain details, I could not find any obvious mistakes, errors or shortcomings. Of course this may imply that I am simply not sufficiently skilled in this area and can easily be deceived. Therefore I gave the book to a befriended theorist who owed me a favour and asked him to read it critically and comment on it. His reply, several weeks later, was highly unsatisfactory in that he suggested something along the lines of ?? the author should read the basic textbooks of so-and-so on superconductivity and study the seminal work of X in this area ?? But what I did not get was a clear answer of what was wrong (or indeed even if anything was wrong) with the proposed model and mechanism.
The attitude of my theorist friend seems to be widespread in our scientific community. If and when somebody challenges a well-established concept he is branded a lunatic and not taken seriously. Now I do agree that we can not correct the weird ideas from all the crackpots of our world. But at the same time most progress has been made through propositions that were highly unconventional at the time. So if and when somebody with the track record of Johan produces a disturbing experimental outcome and a novel type of explanation for that he deserves examination of his results by appropriate experts. Unfortunately there seems to be a certain unwillingness to do so, partly because there is little scientific honour to be gained by confirming someone else?s theory or demonstrating the untennability of it. Yet I urge anyone with the capability to do either instead of persevering in denial or mockery. I have a purely selfish reason for this because I either want to know where I goofed or I want to be proud of being able to call one of the true innovators of our field my friend!

Eindhoven, april 2006

I am still waiting for others to respond on the actual physics involved; not in terms of their prejudices. So it is all well and good to say that your work should be "peer reviewed". It is another thing to find an honest person who will objectively judge the physics content. I believe the latter is impossible unless you write articles within the presently accepted paradigm. This does not auger well for the future of physics.

See also, for example: http://www.cgoakley.demon.co.uk/qft/

#427 05/30/06 09:49 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Johnny Boy,

It was only a poor joke - I probably didn't make myself clear. I was asking (tongue in cheek) whether you could point to any 'Peer Reviewed Studies' that backed up your ideas that an obsession with 'Peer Review' leads to mediocrity.

I actually agree with you - I believe that some of the greatest leaps forward have come from people willing to stand up against a sometimes scathing scientific community and pursue off-centre ideas in the face of ridicule.

Good luck with the Superconduction, but you might well fall victim to the fashions and trends of physics. Didn't you know that Superstring theory is the new black.

Blacknad.

#428 05/30/06 10:11 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Well if I'd known you were still around I'd have stopped by. Just spent a week in and around Burford, rented Wysdom House and then went out to Aberswyth for another week.

I doubt anyone can point to a study that demonstrates a weakness in the peer review system that would stand up to peer review.

The simple fact of reality is that all of the major advances in science, all science, since Isaac Newton, have been the direct result of peer review.

DA Morgan
#429 05/30/06 10:51 PM
So all the scientific theories etc that have been rejected by peer review processes such as (in no particular order):

Darwin's Theory of Evolution
Einstein's Theory of Relativity
Plate Techtonics
Too many medical advances to count.

Have not been major advances in science?

Peer review is not even a successful way of detering fraudulent work. It seems to be a total failure by pretty much any criteria you wish to use yet for some reason it still engeanders significant support. I have the feeling that it is so because it supports the status quo. After all you cannot have just anyone on the street coming up with brilliant scientific thought if, heaven forbid, they do not even have a degree in the field. And far worse, think of all those scientists who, not having had an original thought themselves, may actually have to carry out worthwhile scientific endeavour.

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
#430 05/31/06 08:22 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by RicS:
So all the scientific theories etc that have been rejected by peer review processes such as (in no particular order):

Darwin's Theory of Evolution
Einstein's Theory of Relativity
Plate Techtonics
Too many medical advances to count.

Have not been major advances in science?

Peer review is not even a successful way of detering fraudulent work. It seems to be a total failure by pretty much any criteria you wish to use yet for some reason it still engeanders significant support. I have the feeling that it is so because it supports the status quo. After all you cannot have just anyone on the street coming up with brilliant scientific thought if, heaven forbid, they do not even have a degree in the field. And far worse, think of all those scientists who, not having had an original thought themselves, may actually have to carry out worthwhile scientific endeavour.

Richard
Amen!

Add to your list the Quantum Hall effect that was initially rejected by Physical Review. Somewhere I have read that Nature has rejected more manuscripts that later led to Nobel Prizes than the number they have accepted that also led to Nobel Prizes. I will not be surprised if this is true!

#431 05/31/06 09:32 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
unless i'm misremembering, wasnt prozac accepted in peir review as a weight loss pill. amoung othings.

no only are somethings not accepted, but somethings that should not be are.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#432 06/05/06 10:45 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Well if I'd known you were still around I'd have stopped by. Just spent a week in and around Burford, rented Wysdom House and then went out to Aberswyth for another week.
Hi DA,

I hope you enjoyed your time here - although the weather was a bit lame. I mailed you my mobile a while back - if you'd given me a call when you were in Blighty I would have been very happy to hook up for an evening. If you are still planning to move here for a while I'm sure we can meet up.

Regards,

Blacknad.

#433 06/06/06 04:14 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
I'll be back in November as I am likely speaking at a conference in B'ham. I'll keep in touch.

DA Morgan
#434 06/06/06 11:39 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
DA,

I only live 20 miles from Birmingham. It will be easy enough to meet up. Brindleyplace is nice or China Town if you're into Chinese food.

Regards,

Blacknad.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.