Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#296 12/13/04 01:07 AM
T
True Offline OP
OP Offline
T
On and off for a long time I have read about entanglement. Everywhere I look to read about it I find the theory and explantations. However, I can never find out exactly how two systems can be made to become entangled. Can anyone help me out with this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

#297 12/13/04 06:09 AM
P
P
True: " However, I can never find out exactly how two systems can be made to become entangled. Can anyone help me out with this problem. Thanks in advance for any help."

Roughly speaking, to make two systems entangled, you need to have interactions between them, such that one cannot distinguish the properties of any one of the two systems anymore in the properties of the entangled system. Think of a molecule, say the hydrogen molecule, H2. Quantum mechanically the behavior of the molecule is different from the behaviour of two individual atoms.

This is, in general terms, how you can see entanglement.

How can you practically make entangled systems? It depends. You can create a pair of entangled photons through a pair generation process, molecules you can create in the usual way (chemical reactions) or through forced collisions for odd and/or unstable compounds, and the list could go on and on and on.

#298 12/14/04 02:11 AM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
They don't become entangled, they are created engangled. Example: A single photon enters a nonlinear optical medium and is split into two half-frequency entangled photons that exit. If the original photon was linearly polarized you are set for the Bell Inequality and the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox.

Shoot a photon into a 45-degree half-silvered mirror. There ya go, Bunky, entanglement until you look for where it went.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#299 12/15/04 04:26 PM
T
True Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you very much Pasti and Uncle Al. I have been under the impression that entanglement was some kind of action at a distance thing between two systems that were originally unrelated after having some kind of interaction. I can look at it in a different way now.

#300 12/21/04 10:57 PM
K
K
There's an entertaining if lowbrow look at entanglement here http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/quantum/ which may be of assistance.

#301 12/22/04 03:46 PM
T
T
Question : can anyone here understand that entanglement is seen clearly in the cooper pair electrons of superconductivity, as 2 fermions<normally repelling> being tethered on the ends of a MATTER WAVE, and this gives us a vital clue as to what bose-bonding/capacitance GRAVITY is?

timer
#302 12/23/04 09:40 PM
T
True Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Kate. That's an interesting link.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.