Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30162 04/04/09 02:19 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Ice shelf collapse could shift axis of Earth, study says.

A new study from Toronto researchers suggests that the collapse of a large portion of the Antarctic ice sheet would shift the very axis of the Earth.
"The melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet will actually cause the Earth´s rotation axis to shift rather dramatically -- approximately 500 metres from its present position if the entire ice sheet melts," states a release from U of T's physics department.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090205/sea_levels_090205/20090205?hub=SciTech

***Thoughts
I did'nt take much notice of this URL when it came out a month ago. That is.....until I saw this related update yesterday.
"Wilkins Ice Shelf collapse imminent"

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMD07EH1TF_index_0.html

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P

judging from the above image , the ice is kept from sliding into the ocean because part of it is in a depression.

this should prevent a massive tidal wave that would be the result of the ice sliding into the ocean.

what worries me is that as the ice melts and the depression rebounds , the ground underneath will heat up due to depressurization.

this massive ice will then have the tendancy to crack and explode terribly with a force that we have never experienced here on earth.

that will make the St Hellens erruption look like a firecracker.

if you have ever used a big bowl to freeze water in for ice , I
use a stainless steel bowl that holds apx 1 quart of water , and when I run warm water over it to release it from the bowl so I can use the ice , it cracks in hundreds of pieces all of a sudden.

sometimes large chunks of ice fly out of the bowl.

and every time it reminds me of just how violent a glacier can be , and it makes me think of what would happen in antartica.

and this is only 1 quart of ice.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.