Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28585 12/01/08 03:16 AM
J
jack1111
Unregistered
jack1111
Unregistered
J
Many disease for human,I want to know some methods how to keep healthy.

#28586 12/01/08 04:02 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hi, Jack.

This is not professional advice, and doesn't take account of any physical/medical problems that people may have, and what you can do to optimise your health is largely dependent upon your age, circumstances and commitments.

The usual advice is to take regular moderate excercise, have adequate sleep, and good eating habits, i.e. regular meals and good, junk-free diet.

I'll stick to what I know from personal experience:

In my early 20s, I used to practice martial arts. I enjoyed the sport, and it was a way to keep fit. Even so, one day it suddenly came home to me that I was getting very fed up with life. So much so that I resolved to do something about it. I discovered a book called 'Light on Yoga' by Prof. Iyengar. It focused on Hatha Yoga. I followed his advice regarding healthy living, as a basis for Raja Yoga, as far as I could. I practiced the postures and meditation for half an hour each morning and one and a half hours in the evening. Had a varied vegetarian diet. Didn't eat between meals (light fluids only), and then only after exercises, not in the few hours before. Asleep by 21:30, up at 05:30.

I was fortunate. My age, general health, and circumstances permitted all of that. The result: the world and everyone in it seemed to be transformed. Never before had I had such a sense of total well-being. A feeling of being filled with energy, yet relaxed. Moreover, I began to enjoy my work. People I'd thought of as downright unpleasant (my boss, for example) turned out to be really decent. I could go on, but you'll have the idea already.

I don't suggest that it's the only way. I'm sure it's not. But it worked for me, and I imagine that it works for many others.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
rede's right---
The usual advice is to take regular moderate excercise, have adequate sleep, and good eating habits, i.e. regular meals and good, junk-free diet.

And the yoga sounds good too. I'd add- take notice of what is going on around you, become involved with your surroundings, talk to the people you meet, try to be happy and positive, don't eat too much and drink alcohol in moderation. All of these suggestions can be achieved by someone of average to low fitness. Most of all stop worrying about it.

Also choose your parents very carefully. Genetics play a part in health too.

Oh and I forgot ---get a dog.

PS I too am not a health professional.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Ellis
rede's right---...Oh and I forgot ---get a dog.
PS, I too am not a health professional.
No need to apologize, Ellis. What is a professional, anyway? My dictionary,after defining a profession as: any occupation or trade requiring an education, it goes on to say that being professional means: making a business, or trade, of something that others do for pleasure.

The great Dr. Harvey was not a professional when he discovered how the blood circulates through the body. It was such a "ridiculous" idea to the professionals of the times that he had to keep it to himself in order to qualify as a professional doctor.

BTW, I like what you say about getting a dog. Questions: What about pit bulls? Are cats OK, too? laugh

As a professional minister may I add that there is ample and statistical evidence that as we become more and more GOD-conscious--in any kind of religion, including the non-organized kind--our health improves?
========================================
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/religionhealth.html
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Is-Reli...e/9780789002297
http://www.infidels.org/secular_web/feature/1998/prayer-USAToday.html

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Nothing wrong with pit bulls. In my opinion any inadaquecies in their behaviour should be blamed on their owners.

I like cats very much, but mine does nothing for my health! and it is his sense of complete independence, and at times contempt, that I love as it makes me laugh. I suggested a dog because they are such needy animals, they adore their owners and require such intensive looking after such as feeding, baths, and vets that a person with a dog doesn't have time to mope about, because the dog sees sitting doing nothing but staring at a wall as walk time! And happy walkers have to be healthier than unhappy shut-ins---plus even if you are not very mobile it is still possible to walk a dog from a wheelchair- try doing that with a cat.

What a great aid to health-- a shaggy, smelly dog!

#29252 01/23/09 01:38 AM
R
R
Hi!

Why the judge can't be a delinquent, but a medic can be ill?

Why the scientist destroy his science ?

We are like a blind man, who ask for help from another blind man.

The human body is an organic system - why we put in him non-organic elements?

May be otherwise?

Yes, it's possible. But, are we prepared to swim upstream?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.