Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sun
wind
water
oil,coke
any other????

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
static? gravity (could be covered by water)

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
P
P
Geothermal
water covers hydroelectric, waves and tides, but these are doubling up - wind causes waves but winds are solar powered. Tides are gravitational.

I think it is possible to use temperature differences between surface and deeper layers of water in the ocean, but this doesn't sound like it would be very efficient due to the relativley small differences.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
My favorite ... biological systems.

It is very easy, and at least 40 year old technology, to build a battery in which bacteria are put into one side and sugar (organic waste products) on the other.

But given the lack of organic waste on this planet it will never be utilized commercially. ;-)

BTW: Any reason why fission and fusion weren't on anyone's list? How about generators/alternators turned by other forms of energy? Even oxen?

I've got it. Lets take all of the prisoners from all countries and put them into squirrel cages connected to generators.

DA Morgan
P
P
I assumed biological came from the sun.
As to lack of mention of nuclear options - maybe we have been infected by a political correctness virus.

As for fusion, it is not a yet a viable option (other than the big yellow one).

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
There is one simplistic battery producing electricity which may not be included in the above replies. I know some replies are very inclusive but I will mention it any way. While working on my Egypt book I was wondering why the Queens chamber when originally discovered had a covering of salt of the walls. That item and the fact the floor of the chamber is recessed about 2 feet below the entrance, and due to other facts, convinced me it was used as a salt battery for producing a low voltage they used.

www.exo.net/~pauld/summer_institute/ summer_day15current/saltwaterbattery.html - 5k -

There have been no other viable explanations.
jjw

Superstar
Superstar
jjw,
I got a 404 not found error when I cut and pasted the entire link, and when I clicked on the highlighted link I got a directory of pages. Can you be more specific as to which link you are referring to?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

I
I
http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=6903&ntid=&pg=1

Piezoelectric generators may hold some promise given a little time. Piezoelectricity has been around for years but only for igniting pilot lights and cigarette lighters. And a fad sneaker with little LEDs on it. Other small gadgets that never flew made appearances as well.

The above article addresses small-current items up to personal electronics but I have seen some news about a sidewalk implementation where the pressure from foot steps could power street lamps. I've lost that link but it was fairly recent.

Even if it only works out for MP3 players and phones and such, the shear numbers could add up to a significant saving on coal smoke, spent batteries and nuclear waste.

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Iztaci
http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=6903&ntid=&pg=1

Piezoelectric generators may hold some promise given a little time. Piezoelectricity has been around for years but only for igniting pilot lights and cigarette lighters. And a fad sneaker with little LEDs on it......... but I have seen some news about a sidewalk implementation where the pressure from foot steps could power street lamps. I've lost that link but it ............ could add up to a significant saving on coal smoke, spent batteries and nuclear waste.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

I read an article ten years ago that the Israeli's dropped a heavy copper cable, 2000ft long, one end into the Dead Sea, the other end down a Well.
They obtained 1.2 Volts DC at an undisclosed number of Amps.
The metal ends on the cable, were not disclosed either.

You mention Electricity savings.
This could be easily achieved by taking out every other street lamp in most of our cities, at non intersections?
I believe the Canadians have been experimenting with LED street lamps.
But they have certainly done a wonderful job in lighting up the CN Tower, with Multi-color LED's at Niagara Falls.
As shown in short Video below.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZC2NFUkZA

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Superstar
Superstar
That is certainly some light show. Thanks for sharing. :-)

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

I
I

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
We were told the other day that under our town is a huge reserve of Hot Rocks!! We were also given to understand that these 'rocks' could be used to generate elecricity. I have lived here for 40 years and in all that time we had never been made aware of this valuable asset under our feet. We were assured that 'they' knew all about it. In the meantime we have massive deposits of dirty brown coal nearby, masses of sunshine and a tiresomely apparent amount of constant wind. Guess which one generates our power?

Are 'hot rocks' geothermal by the way? Which is what I was going to say at the start before I got political!

Aren't there a lot of under utilised potential energy sources around though?

I
I
Originally Posted By: Ellis
We were told the other day that under our town is a huge reserve of Hot Rocks!! We were also given to understand that these 'rocks' could be used to generate elecricity. I have lived here for 40 years and in all that time we had never been made aware of this valuable asset under our feet. We were assured that 'they' knew all about it. In the meantime we have massive deposits of dirty brown coal nearby, masses of sunshine and a tiresomely apparent amount of constant wind. Guess which one generates our power?

Are 'hot rocks' geothermal by the way? Which is what I was going to say at the start before I got political!

Aren't there a lot of under utilised potential energy sources around though?

The hot rocks to which you refer are most likely heated by a geothermal process or system. It would be that system, rather than the rocks themselves, that would be the potential energy source. Depending on the characteristics of your system, geothermal can be rather easily and inexpensively tapped, even by individuals, to heat a home. Using dirty, brown coal when this resource is available would be a poor choice. It does, however, require some initial capitalization.

Under utilized sources? Everything that moves is capable of producing energy. What we lack is not sources of energy but, rather, sources of imagination and effort.

Buy a drill and some piping. :>)

D
D
One simple word - Friction.

If the human mind can imagine it, it can be achieved!
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I dont think anyone mentioned Static Electricity plus a few experiments on the subject.

I havent read about all of the stuff in the above link , but if you want Static Electricity you should use GLASS and SILK I think for the best charge...

maybe use a glass bottle and silk brushes that rub against the glass bottle.

or you could just use the CFPFM technology , but that would be too simple.

have fun !!!

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: kumarumt
sun
wind
water
oil,coke
any other????
sun
wind
water
oil,coke
any other????
sun
wind
water
oil,coke
any other????

Superstar
Superstar
You forgot geothermal and biological.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Nuclear.

If we learn to harness the Casimir force, we can add QM.

Also, biological spans a number of things:
1. crops as fuel
2. waste as fuel (human, etc)
3. mechanical harnessing of animals (or possibly plants)

A
A
I suppose this is included in mechanical harnessing of humans but I'm a big supporter of the Potenco pull - http://www.potenco.com/
They should open up their product line for a much wider variety of applications.

I've used portable crank powered radios.. why are we still using batteries for mp3 players when we could easily power them for hours with a little crank generator or a potenco pull?

power your world with a wind generator
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
why are we still using batteries

because batteries are a product that must be bought hundreds of times durring the lifetime of the product.

and we are mindless product buyers.

in other words , the same exact reason that we dont use
wind and solar or even nuclear power on a massive scale , and why we dont even dream of using free energy to power the few products we can afford to buy after
we pay for our energy.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.