Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28549 11/28/08 09:29 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Oddly enough another space race has again been spurred up. The space race isn't the bad part and knowing that civilians are in this race doesn't scare me either. What scares me is that Space tourism has come before space frieghting.

True the only thing to frieght to is the ISS, but that doesn't seem like an exuse at all. I'm sure small companies would be willing to pay money and put their own satillites up. Build and they will come kinda deal. There's an unending list of the possiblities.

Here's my discussion topic:
If some magical happening or luck that I come into a vast amount of money or owned a multi-million dollar industry, I would create this enterprise, but I need some engineering help.

For far this is what I got:

Carrier:
1. A gutted out 747
The idea here is that if a 747 was modified so that the back part could carry a shuttle at a very high or reasonable altitude. The shuttle would then be dropped so that it could safely go under and out.

Of coarse a top wing version would have to be built to create a greater room for the hanger.

The gravity drop raises probablems with shuttle design essentials.

2.XB-70
This seems to be the most promising idea. The shuttle will rest on top the slightly modified XB-70 in a kind of pit. The XB-70 already has an enormous payload capacity and can reach Mach 3 at a higher altitude than the 747.

The upwards take off has some problems as well, like unwanted interaction between shuttle and carrier, but it let's the shuttle keep all needed features for into space and then gliding back down.

Shuttle
My idea of the shuttle would be something very similar to the modern space shuttle used by NASA. It will be modified to have a more streamline look to it because let's face it the modern one is kinda bulky looking. The cargo bay should stay the same size and it has a pretty effective glide, but i'm not to sure on its ability to fly.

Please feel free to say "Yes", "No", give your suggestions or even sketches. I've got an open mind and a vivid imagination.

I think therefore I'm MAN.
Y
OP Offline
Y
I done some thinking and come up with an even better idea for the Carrier. A modified Concord. It has the ability to reach Mach 1, there is a favorably large area to the rear to hold the shuttle. The payload weight isn't so great but putting stronger engines on it shouldn't be a probablem.

Also, the shuttle will almost look exactly like the modern space shuttle. The only differnce would be the nose and cockpit. Unless it tampers with re-entry, I'm thinking more stream-line or jet like nose.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Ok, here's my new train of thought.

a. wipe the board clean and start a new about the carrier, and here's my new idea.

The carrier will actually be a detachable flying wing that will grab the bottom of the full tank (the shuttle is atop the full tank, laying down of course). The wing will be sufficiently shape and equipt to go I want Mach 3-ish, the ability to lift a really heavy load and go to a high altitude(to be determined)

Also i've got some drawings done for the shuttle. I'll be posting those sometime.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.