Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28112 10/22/08 04:48 AM
E
emaad Offline OP
OP Offline
E
13 April 2036 is the possible date on which it is expected that an Asteroid named 99942 Apophis is headed our way to strike earth. Question is can our earth be saved from this future catastrophe?

Source:

http://www.risethemag.com/viewarticles.aspx?catid=36

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
An impact isn't expected, the probability having been calculated as 1:45000. Of course, improbable doesn't mean impossible and, as far as I know, there are no firm plans afoot to save the Earth in such an event which, in the long term, is a statistical certainty. Maybe someone else knows better.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
B
If u mean an astroid or meteor impact with planet earth then the best chance earth holds is the nuclear missles. With our current tecknology we can predict and know when and where an impact may occur. We would Not just use one but perhaps many missles to shoot out an astroid or meteor... either destroying it or changing its path. There is a TV series called the 4400. the first episode of season 1 of tat show gives us some ideas wat we might be capable of if an impact is expected. I bileave it was last year or a couple of years ago when japan shot down its sattalite in space using laser tecknology. Not to sure about the progress of tat program but yes it is a good back up.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Well isnt that nice!

Im moving to mars , this place is getting too dangerous
a place to live.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
F
F
Well if you beleve what all the rabi acolytes of mayan doomsday are say we only have about 3 years left anyways so why worry. lol

-teh Flat Scan
I
I
I don't think the question is who will save the "earth" as it is who will save "us". The earth has survived much more damaging collisions that that likely in an unlikely collision with 99942 Apophis. The moon may have been created in a collision with another planet-sized mass.

I doubt that speculations such as using nuclear or other weapons of which we can now envision are of much use. With the amount of research going on now in the field of destructive devises, who knows what we'll have in 2036? Especially since we, as laymen, don't really know what we have now, in Black Box projects. That assumes we survive the results of the secret projects now in progress.

Last edited by Iztaci; 12/01/08 06:55 AM.

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.