Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Those studies involve the acquisition of knowledge for purposes that are broadly the same, except that terms like "the enhancement of technological development" are omitted.
Interestingly, our word 'technology' comes from the Greek 'teknon', for carpenter.

BTW, I have used a technique for testing the ability of individuals and groups to see to what extent they have the ability to accept, and/or reject, suggestion. Hypnotists use it all the time when they work with groups and want to select the best "subjects" to come on stage. It is, in sense, a way of measuring people's imagination, faith and trust.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rede: I understand your criticism of my take on the reason for science. Normally I would say that science is the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, because 'it is there' and because there is a need to understand and find out, and importantly, codify and reproduce the results we find. But underlying this idea I was wondering why does science exist? It's a chicken and egg thing I think. There cannot be civilisation without science-- and there cannot be science without civilisation, because once you have these, things will never be the same.

I know it sounds woolly, it's much clearer when I just think it. I'll go back to NQS!!!

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Rede: I understand your criticism of my take on the reason for science....................>... There cannot be civilisation without science--- and there cannot be science without civilisation, because once you have these, things will never be the same.

I know it sounds woolly, it's much clearer when I just think it. I'll go back to NQS!!!

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Well said Ellis.
I think that the 'Ultimate Aim of Science' is that it has been able to truly permeate and influence every aspect of our physical world. It has become the stepping stone markers of factual truths, that allow us to co-advance civilisation onward.
Solid factual truths that always keep pace, and instep with our evolutionary progress.

As against the primitive futuristic faiths, and govermental laws thrust upon us by ignorant layman, Priests and Shaman's who could only call upon faceless Deitys to transport you to a better life after you had died.
Non-factual beliefs, grasped only by the the remaining ignorant and mental simpletons in the world today.......?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I was wondering why does science exist? It's a chicken and egg thing I think. There cannot be civilisation without science-- and there cannot be science without civilisation, because once you have these, things will never be the same.

Yes, Ellis, I can see what you mean in that science promotes civilisation and civilisation promotes science, but there are two issues:

(a) the specific aims of scientists
(b) the global effects of scientific research

I see them as being seperate.

Don't let my criticism dishearten you. I'm probably wrong much more often than I care to admit, and it's always a pleasure to have a thread enhanced by your gracious presence.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
R
Megastar
Megastar
R

I think that the 'Ultimate Aim of Science' is that it has been able to truly permeate and influence every aspect of our physical world.

Hi, Mike.

Like Ellis, you are describing an effect. Could you possibly restate your point to indicate how you see those effects as the specific, primary aim of science?

Regards

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur

Hi, Mike.

Like Ellis, you are describing an effect. Could you possibly restate your point to indicate how you see those effects as the specific, primary aim of science?

Regards

Hmmm. I am not sure if I am able, or can redefine the effects of Science, as a primary aim?
Its such an all encompassing subject.....and yet science would have no meaning to us....if we did'nt study it?
Our lives would still exist, the world would still continue, without knowledge of science.?

Does Science mean- 'the Total knowledge of Human awareness'?
The knowledge that we exist?
But as a Primary Aim, I am afraid I am at a loss, Rede.
Have you any pointers to steer me in the right direction?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
[quote=redewenur]Like Ellis, you are describing an effect. Could you possibly restate your point to indicate how you see those effects as the specific, primary aim of science?

Hmmm. I am not sure if I am able, or can redefine the effects of Science, as a primary aim?

Absolutely, Mike, and that's my point: to emphasize the difference between the aims the effects.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Well Rede, I have put on my special regal hand-waving gloves and am smiling my best beatific smile to reply to your post.

Yes there is a difference to the aim of individual scientists and the global effects of their research sometimes. However take the case of the weapon maker about 3 or 4 thousand years ago. His arrow heads, brilliantly crafted from flint, shattered easily. He then discovered that by taking a hunk of rock he could turn that rock into metal and mould it into a far superior tool. In doing so he knowingly changed the rock into something else. He did more than experience the effect, he initiated the change, deliberately, in a way that was planned and solved a big problem he had. We still feel the effect of that first planned exploration of the possibilities that lie universally all around us. It is the driver of our civilisation, initiated by the actions of those first scientists. We still today seek to change our environment and advance our knowledge.

Why do we do this? Who knows--- perhaps we just can't resist the urge to try to understand everything around us. However I still think that the aims of science are still linked to the growth of civilisation.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Yes there is a difference to the aim of individual scientists and the global effects of their research sometimes...
Why do we do this? Who knows--- perhaps we just can't resist the urge to try to understand everything around us.

I think we all know why. Evolution has provided us with our famous, or notorious, curiosity - some of us anyway - and having learned from our inquiries, we find ways, for various reasons, to use that knowledge. The discovery part is the science. The way of applying it is the technology. A specific goal, other than satisfying curiosity, is not required for scientific inquiry, even though most modern research is, for socio-economic reasons, probably directed toward specific applications. Take Isaac Newton for example; it could hardly have been his aim to send robots to Mars - in fact, if it hadn't been for Edmund Halley, the Principia might never have been published. He was just curious. Intensely curious. Our human curiosity begins just about as soon as we're born. Then, when we learn to say a few words, it becomes, "What's that?", and "Why?", sufficiently often to drive many a parent up the wall! grin

However I still think that the aims of science are still linked to the growth of civilisation.

Of course.

D
D
As a scientist, I think its operational purpose describes science's aim best.

It is to make 'Perfect Predictions' where we ain't doing so yet, using objective measures of cause and effect we all can potentially see used.

Trying to reach this goal implies that we seek to discover fundamental constants, the hard objective edges of our universe like pi = Cir of Circle/Dia Circle = 3.1415, or e = mc^, or Newtons Law of Gravitation.

Thus a practicing scientist working at a fundamental level first seeks the "edge" between what we now know/do not know. Finds or asks a question that has not been answered, and steps across the edge into the unknown.

To find these questions, start by looking for logical and observational discrepancies in existing theory. I got lucky early and found a great question that someone gave the wrong answer to. Figuring out the right answer taught me how to do science.

Ultimately success at this would imply a complete and accurate picture of reality. Luckily, reaching perfect is easier said than done. Scientists are not going to run out of work any time soon.

I discuss science and how its done more fully in my forum on http://www.no1stcostlist.com/index.php and elsewhere on the site.

There you will also find a really neat Sun prediction with a real deadline.

Dan Alter

B
Bizblogged3
Unregistered
Bizblogged3
Unregistered
B
The main aim of science is to sharing all the information which is reliable and here we can share many things in this science forum, and can any one explain in detail with this topic

http://www.bizblogged.com/

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Bizblogged3
The main aim of science is to sharing all the information which is reliable and here we can share many things in this science forum, and can any one explain in detail with this topic

The operative word is 'reliable', and a methodical approach - the scientific method - enables verification, to the limits of current knowledge, that the information is reliable. Information that is unverifiable in this way is considered to be non-scientific.

I would dispute your notion that the main aim of science is the sharing of such verifiable information. Even though contemporary science is dependent upon that sharing, especially (as Ellis indicated) in an already scientifically developed civilisation, the sharing is not an aim but rather a most effective way of achieving the aims, e.g:

RM: "...to find the set of rules by which everything operates."

TheFallible Fiend: "...to acquire natural laws to describe a natural universe."

redewenur: to enable "technological development..."

A brain storming session would no doubt produce a much longer list.

Megastar
Megastar
RM says the ultimate aim of science is
Originally Posted By: RM
... to find the set of rules by which everything operates. (if that is possible)
A noble gaol, RM. You suggest that

SCIENCE includes: THE RULES BY WHICH EVERYTHING OPERATES
=========================================================
RM, IMO, science, as you imply,is simply the knowledge of everything--physical, mental and spiritual. This prompts me to ask: What category interests you?

Once we establish a category, the next question is: What are the rules? And, who makes the rules?

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/20/08 11:16 PM. Reason: It really needed it!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: RM
I think it is to find the set of rules by which everything operates. (if that is possible)
Rules are relegated to states of consciousness.
The world is multidimensional, so Science could be ultimately effective in communicating and operating with universal mind rather than trying to define it and control it.
This would ultimately free humanity from the pitfalls of greed and limitation that arise from ignoring the underlying principles of the manifest world.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
".... would ultimately free humanity from the pitfalls of greed and limitation that arise from ignoring the underlying principles of the manifest world."

TT -- That will only be the case if you can bottle it and hum the jingle!

Megastar
Megastar
Ellis, very funny!

Would you like to buy a bottle of pneuma? As a pneumatologist, I will sell you a bottle of spiritual hot air, any time!!!

BTW, I accept barterBUX!!! laugh
==============================
BTW 2, talking about hot air: Do you remember the scientists, technologists and economists who, back a few decades ago, promised us an age of leisure?

They forgot to mention the financial meltdown, unemployment and the loss of homes, etc; that they meant the leisure time would be spent on the street, in the poor house, or--for some, the few who got caught selling the hot air (or was it paper?)--in jail.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
".... would ultimately free humanity from the pitfalls of greed and limitation that arise from ignoring the underlying principles of the manifest world."

TT -- That will only be the case if you can bottle it and hum the jingle!

That is the unfortunate state of conscious awareness that can identify our ability to feed and heal the population of the planet while providing the means to actively destroy the planets ability to sustain life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you refer to the "ultimate AIM of science", you assign "science" a sentient characteristic. Science is not a character. It is not a being and it has no "Aim" any more than evolution has a goal or purpose. I read atheists referring to science and/or evolution, quite frequently, as if these concepts possessed a mind capable of having a goal. All they are doing is rejecting a god or designer and assigning that same characteristic to a concept. You can’t have it both ways. If the universe has no designer or purpose, none of the aspects of the universe can have designs or purposes either. It’s Logic 101.

Science has no aims. Scientists have aims and those aims vary drastically from simple curiosity to altruistically providing comfort to humanity to getting rich from some invention that sells well.

The question “What is the ultimate aim of science?” is not really a question. It is merely a string of words with a question mark at the end.

I
I
Originally Posted By: Yet Another Crank
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Try google.
No, that's just getting information.

Science is the process of getting information that is RELIABLE, by means of scientific method.

Also, "to explain the natural universe" is A motive for engaging in science, but that doesn't mean it's THE reason for it.

"natural universe"? As opposed to the Un-natural one?

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Anonymous

The question “What is the ultimate aim of science?” is not really a question. It is merely a string of words with a question mark at the end.
But then the statement above is just a string of words with a period at the end, and doesn't really express the extent of reality. Maybe an opinion or belief or an experience...
Expansion of consciousness or the ongoing movement of reality that is absolute is reflected in our actions and our interaction with the manifest which includes strings of words even if they have little conscious meaning. How clear the intellect is or how clouded the intellect is as the mirror of the absolute, is part and parcel to the active absolute and how it is expressed and experienced in conscious awareness.
The science of conscious awareness is the discovery of consciousness as the source and the expansion of it into manifestation and the exploration of its potential regardless of the fact that it has no boundaries or limits.

Relative Sciences deal with relative ideals, opinions, beliefs and the structures within natural laws that can only exist within the manifest reality of awareness of the absolute.
It still happens to be consciousness being aware of itself, and is not an illusion, but a heartbeat of life as immortal as infinity is to the extent of ideas regarding who we are and what the world is.

You cannot stop it even if you decide its not real, or if you decide it is meaningless.
Science is a rhythmic reflection of the evolution of the intellect in the soul.
Not unlike a child wandering in life discovering what it can do and what it wants to do.
Only ego puts on the labels of what it is and what it isn't and holds it there.
Consciousness is free to express itself any way it wishes, even if it's a string of words with a period or a question mark, or even capitol letters in quotations... wink

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.