Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
I think it is to find the set of rules by which everything operates. (if that is possible)

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Rob,

I think I agree, but a close second must be -'to improve our lot'.

Regards,

Blacknad.

Y
Y
The purpose of science is to get reliable information about the world.

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Try google.

DA Morgan
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
All close.

The purpose of science is to acquire natural laws to describe a natural universe.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
that's exactly what I said!

Y
Y
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Try google.
No, that's just getting information.

Science is the process of getting information that is RELIABLE, by means of scientific method.

Also, "to explain the natural universe" is A motive for engaging in science, but that doesn't mean it's THE reason for it.

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
science explains everything in this world...

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
science explains everything in this world...
Not yet smile

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I think it depends on who is doing the aiming of science!

If it is a large corporation that is involved in some process
that damages , then they might aim a little off in order to miss
the target.

If it is an individual who is aiming to correct
the large corporations projectile so that it might
hit the target then it will depend on the amount
of force that that single individual can apply to
the corporations projectile in order to correct its
path to the target.

science is bought and paid for today to fullfill needs.

that is why buildings and bridges fall down so easily
these days.

or maybe its just a result of cheat sheets or peer pressure.

What is the ultimate aim of science?
knowledge...

What is the current aim of science?
to aim science in a manner that science can be used for
denial , deciet , etc ... for gain or profit...

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
T
T
I thought, "to get reliable information about the world" was a damn good stab at an unanswerable (because of meaninglessness) question. It is the main aim of most scientists. I am curious why you found it funny.

T
T
Why does it have to be a corporation that is doing bad science, and why can't you imagine it might be doing good science? (You don't say these things explicitly, but you assume them, and this strikes me as sloppy).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats the aim of evolution?

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Whats the aim of evolution?

To better enable and enhance...
life's purpose of more efficiently converting light into heat (increasing entropy).

...maybe?
...gotta run: lunchtime!

~ smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Z
Superstar
Superstar
Z
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
The purpose of science is to acquire natural laws to describe a natural universe

That's right. While the purpose of science should be to understand an universe naturally...

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
We all know what science is (or at least can find out easily enough through a little research!). Example:

"Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge" or "knowing") is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding of how the physical world works" - Wikipedia

The answer to 'What's the aim of science?' Or in other words, 'Why do we do science?' may appear absurdly obvious, but it is a philosophical question:

"The philosophy of science seeks to understand the nature and justification of scientific knowledge" - Wikipedia

It would seem that there are many reasons for doing science - individuals, groups, corporations, governments may have specific reasons for scientific investigation, such as the acquisition of power, wealth, prestige - but in my opinion two basic reasons cover most of the possibilities (a) curiousity, and (b) the enablement of technological development for survival, the enhancement perceived life quality, and longevity.

Megastar
Megastar
All good information, Rede.

Has anyone asked: When we speak of science, what are we talking about here? Just the hard sciences like physics, chemistry, mathematics, and the like? Or, is there room for ethics, economics, dogmatics, psychology, sociology, whatever.

In his book, Dogmatics in Outline, the Swiss theologian, Karl Barth (1886-1968) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Barth writes, "Dogmatics is a science....I propose that by science we understand it is an attempt at comprehension and exposition, at investigation and instruction which is related to a definite object and sphere of activity."

He goes on to point out that, for us human beings, all science is an attempt at understanding, not a final one. It is a preliminary and limited process. For us human beings there is no absolute science or final art. In life we are in an eternal process.

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/15/08 06:17 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Has anyone asked: When we speak of science, what are we talking about here? Just the hard sciences like physics, chemistry, mathematics, and the like? Or, is there room for ethics, economics, dogmatics, psychology, sociology, whatever.

Yes, the question has been raised elsewhere in the forum.

I am using the definition of science that pertains to the discovery of "how the physical world works", hence my reference to "technological development" as a means of meeting what most of us consider our fundamental material needs and wants.

However, the inclusion or exclusion of other aspects of the sphere of human knowledge - such as economics and sociology - as 'science' does, in my view, make no real difference in defining the aims. Those studies involve the acquisition of knowledge for purposes that are broadly the same, except that terms like "the enhancement of technological development" are omitted.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The question to be asked seems to me to be 'Why do we have science?"

When did science break away from necessity? At first humans lived as part of the natural environment and, as do many tribal societies today, lived from the natural resources available on this planet. I think it is the desire to change this environment that gave birth to the growth of science. The development of civilisation led to the establishment of science. Once humans found that they were able to adapt things to their own advantage reliably by codifying the methods used, science was established and civilisation began its relentless movement.

"Real" science-- "hard" science, ie that which is not banished to the NQS section here (and you all know what I mean!!!) evolved as the result of deliberate imposition designed to improve the human condition. There is no science without humans, it codifies natural events for the benefit of humanity.

Science does all the things mentioned here such as increasing knowledge and so on but its main purpose is to extend human influence--- even to beyond the planet.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Science...its main purpose is to extend human influence--- even to beyond the planet.

That suggests that you think the majority of scientists are conducting research not with the primary aim of solving the riddles of the task at hand, but rather to extend human influence.

I'm tempted to jump in with both feet and call that nonsense, but it could be that don't fully understand what you're saying.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.