Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28092 10/19/08 09:16 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Is it possible to manipulate the neurochemistry of a human bieng in order to achive incredibly high speeds? Each nerve impulse accelerated from its normal pace to enable a human to perform any activity faster then ordinary. Every time i run really fast or perform an activity that involves speed (like stacking plastic cups) i have noticed that to acquire accuracy in whatever the activity is one should either have done the activity so many time that they dont even need to think about it, it just happens...( this is explained by reflex control of the body at the spinal cord where no thought processing occurs... the brain is not involved therefore the nerve message is simply trigered through a shorter route relative to one that may include the brain)for example as soon as u touch somthing very hot you dont think about when to move your hand before it starts burning... you just jerk and pull your hand. Another way to acquire accurace in an activity is to do it very slowly while the nerve messages travell from one of the 5 senses to the brain, where the brain thinks what to do (thought processing)and then from the brain to another part of our body. Could'nt it be possible to accelerate these nerve impulses travelling to and from the brain in order for someone to complete an activity faster and accurately? If anyone can answer my questions or share their own ideas... please reply. thanx

Last edited by Brilliance; 10/19/08 11:34 PM.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Interesting question which, unfortunately, I'm not the one to provide an informed answer. As you said, the sympathetic nervous system operates rapidly, the slow down occurring whenever this system is insufficient and the grey matter is called into action. I guess that accelerating the impulses travelling to and from the brain would do little to enhance the overall responses, as it's mainly the 'thought processing' that you refer to that causes the slow down. I think this might be something that biophysicists/biochemists will work on during the next 100-200 years, maybe as an extension of research into dementia and Alzheimer's Disease.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
OP Offline
B
Imagine if the nerve cells in the brain itself "the gray matter" was actually able to transmit messages very fast... along with the sympethetic nervous system. A very long and tough calculation would merely take seconds to calculate in the head! and yes u r right this is the key factor for any fruitfull results in this area of studies. The main fact is if we were to find some knd of nerve impulse acceleration we ideally shud be able to effect both the centeral and the periphral nervous system. afcourse this is just a thought... only a thought... what if a foreign neurotransmitter was introduced in da human body that afcourse would be gentically altered and engineered and ideally- would once injected into the body replicate itself using the body functions. Afcource i am not quite sure how many different types of neurotransmiters exists ... in human and other animals. this could be the very key factor to unlock this potential ability. neways thanx for replying redewenur... oh and what rating is superstar??

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I suspect you may be right about there being some potential to accelerate thought processes. The difficulty I see is the complexity of the chemistry involved: (a) it appears to be poorly understood, and (b) a slight imbalance of neurotransmitters can lead to affective disorders, thought disorders and behavioural problems. I find it easier to envisage the earlier development of cranial implant technology using nanotech artificial intelligence.

Superstar rating? Very simple - the more you post, the more glamorous your rating. No erudition required. In my case, it probably means that I should 'get a life' smile

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have nodes of Ranvier that are more spread out? Not sure how you would do that though....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.