Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 120 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 119 120
Megastar
Megastar
Ellis, TT Anon, intends to disagree, no matter what anyone says. For the sake of his pneuma, I hope he can do so and have peace of mind.

Like the Irish (I have some Irish blood): They love God, their religion and their country, and the love to fight about it! laugh

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think in any discussion forum, pointing out the obvious tends to keep the subject matter in an intelligent context, rather than just imaginary.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Obviously I agree with you, since what I pointed out was blindingly obvious!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Comprehension is a key ingredient to understanding and superior to belief and opinion. Beliefs and opinions are constantly changing and often just get in the way.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Comprehension is a key ingredient to understanding and superior to belief and opinion. Beliefs and opinions are constantly changing and often just get in the way.

Beliefs and opinions sure can get in the way, but the problem is not necessarily that they are always changing; on the contary, they are all too often stubbornly resistant to change. On the other hand, the capacity and tendency of our understanding to undergo change is proportional to our ability to assimilate new data and acknowledge its relevance.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Beliefs and opinions sure can get in the way, but the problem is not necessarily that they are always changing; on the contary, they are all too often stubbornly resistant to change. On the other hand, the capacity and tendency of our understanding to undergo change is proportional to our ability to assimilate new data and acknowledge its relevance.

Beliefs and opinions are both stubborn to resist change and a constant in the changing evolution of social mores in the many generations of humanity and geographic cultures. They do not represent as themselves in surface appearances, to be the constant within all change and belief, or the understanding of change and resistance to change.
Tho man within its perceptions of humanity has the capacity to understand himself, he is distracted by clinging to values which change and slowly undermine the awareness of who he is, as he tries to find himself in the changing values of new thoughts and ideas, replacing one for the other under the stresses of the influence in the many beliefs and opinions..

It's like the Ocean seeking to understand itself by observing the waves on the surface created by changing surface conditions.
Comprehension of its deep nature and vast presence is lost in the distraction of the outer senses.
Such is the fate of the deeper meanings of scripture given by those who would read scripture without understanding. The very nature of the words are lost to the minds beliefs and opinions as they are superimposed onto the deeper presence of its nature.

The authors of the bible heard from the Teacher what they would grasp as it was filtered through their own nervous systems. If their nervous systems were clear and unobstructed by belief and opinion the words of the teacher resonated at the same level of thought and meaning. If not belief and opinion superimposes itself upon the words.
This is self evident in the way humanity hears one thing when something else is said. It is represented in the many different churches and philosophies derived from the one Teacher Jesus.

If you study scripture you find that all of the Teachers of the past speak of the same underlying presence within the universe and within all humanity, but belief and opinion has taken these Teachers words to build the many churches and religions separating man by belief and opinion of personal values. Each new idea taken from the original intent takes it either closer or further from its source, but who would know which direction is the right direction?
There is a saying: follow any path long enough and you will eventually get to where you are going. This also infers that if you leave one spot and travel in any direction long enough eventually you will end up where you started, no matter where you are in the universe.
Belief and opinion will eventually get you to where you want to go, but as it changes you will continue to keep travelling with the idea that where you are going is where you will find fulfillment. Take this into infinite change and the course of humanity to find its fulfillment in such a manner will be comensurate with its idyllic presupposed ideals.
There is a much simpler logic than such a course which is the essence of the message given in all scripture.
It is belief and opinion and the changing discoveries generated by those beliefs and opinions which rearranges belief and opinion as the paved road to endless discoveries and new beliefs in opinion.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Obviously I agree with you, since what I pointed out was blindingly obvious!
Thanks for the "blindingly obvious" post, Ellis. We need more like this!

BTW, have you ever changed your mind about anything? For example, I used to think most economists and market analysts knew something about what they were doing. My present opinion is: They about as useful as weather forecasters in an area with two seasons--wet and dry. The way they speak and write is usually dry, and their content is usually all wet! laugh

BTW 2: Speaking of weather: How's the weather where you live? I understand the weather in Australia is getting closer to the kind they have in hell. Would you like some Canadian snow and ice?

Because we are on north side of the ocean-like Lake Ontario, Toronto is usually spared the amount of snow which falls about an hour's drive north, and west, of us, including Buffalo, New York. Also, we usually have a January thaw. No so this year.

Since mid-December, in Toronto we have had one snow fall after another, with temperatures going to -20 degrees Celsius, and below. Today, we have a reprieve: It is sunny and almost +10 C. laugh

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/07/09 07:08 PM. Reason: always helps.
Megastar
Megastar
This just in: Are you in this picture:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1265340
And would you believe: Our common motherland claims:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=1264372

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rev; Yesterday the temperature in my town (near Melbourne) was 48 degrees C. I cannot begin tell you what that feels like.

There are fires everywhere, and today is a sad one as at least 2 small towns have been completely destroyed and so far 35 people are dead, most trying to outrun the fire. People will stay to try to fight the fire even if advised not to, and then attempt to run away when they see flames 30-40 metres high approaching on winds of 100k an hour. Whilst I don't blame them for that, I don't think any possessions are worth dying for.

Today is cooler, but you can imagine how I long for some of your cooling snow or a gentle shower of rain.

Megastar
Megastar
As you know, I do not believe in prayer in the traditional sense--that is, pleading with a reluctant and capricious god out there, or up there, to do this that and the other thing for us just because we request it; but I do believe in tuning in to, or connecting with GOD as the source of the knowledge and wisdom we need. I believe in imaging what is needed and sending what I call meditative and affirmative thoughts, which I will. After all, all progress begins with thought.

Physicists, from all over the world, are working on the LHC--The Large Hydron Collider, at Cern, on the Swiss/France border. They
want to turn the earth into one giant computer-like and global grid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFllPVIcpg&feature=related

I envision that this could mean the harvesting of power sources never before available to us.

What are the cycles of weather in your area. I presume that most people have enough air conditioning.

BTW, are you aware that there is an Australian connection with the history of refrigeration?
http://www.gizmohighway.com/history/refrigerator.htm

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
As you know, I do not believe in prayer in the traditional sense--that is, pleading with a reluctant and capricious god out there, or up there, to do this that and the other thing for us just because we request it; but I do believe in tuning in to, or connecting with GOD as the source of the knowledge and wisdom we need. I believe in imaging what is needed and sending what I call meditative and affirmative thoughts, which I will. After all, all progress begins with thought.
Interesting idea this idea of what is needed.
I suppose you would have to know what this source was, have an intimate connection to it, as well as have some Idea as to who or what created what it is you think needs to be changed so as to curcumvent what has been created by some other need of the planet and the Universe.

I've heard many who think: "If I were God, I'd do this or that...Or since I don't bow to a God the creator and pray for guidance and wisdom, I will take the wisdom which is available in the God of my dreams, and change what has been created by my intuitional realization that what is God, is at the moment less than what it could be idealized as the manifestation of humanity and the weather.."
Isn't that just the ego, thinking?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are like a stuck record...always saying the same thing, pointing the finger at ego. It takes an ego to recognize one. you only point to yourself and your limitations, but you can't see this, nor hear, nor know this...which is quite evident in your replys.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This coming from an ego which knows ego or someone who has risen above ego?

Megastar
Megastar
Suggestion: Will the anoners please create a surname. For example, I could register as Anon Newfy, Anon Markham, or Anon Toronto--BTW, there is a well known Mormon family with this family name.

Otherwise we will never know which BIG EGO is picking on the little ego. laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So much for GØD=OneSpirit,in&throughUs,land,sea,sky&cosmos and all-pervasiveGravity-in&through ALL that is. Ego not being able to recognize itself is stuck record...always saying the same thing, pointing the finger at ego, only hilighting itself, separating and judging itself and others in limitation and separation of All that is .....

Oh well, maybe a few more lifetimes...

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
This is hilarious and thank you for making me laugh. It reminds me of that absurd BBC game 'Mornington Cresent'! I like the idea of Anon surname. I'm going to be Anon Nemo!!!!

Megastar
Megastar
This is hilarious, and thank you for making me laugh. It reminds me of that absurd BBC game 'Mornington Cresent'! I like the idea of Anon surname. I'm going to be Anon Nemo!!!!

Ellis, if you are thanking me, where, or what, is Nemo?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Suggestion: Will the anoners please create a surname. For example, I could register as Anon Newfy, Anon Markham, or Anon Toronto....

Of course Anons don't "register..."

...but a sign-ature would be a nice idea.

~K

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...going to be Anon Nemo!!!!

You have to say it fast, all together, Revl.

~K

Megastar
Megastar
This raises very important questions: If we have fair and efficient moderators, should anyone be afraid to be transparent? Does anyone need to be an anonemo?

I offer another suggestion: Let us agree to allow anyone to be an anonemo for three posts.

Anonemos: If, like the old Golden Rule, you find that you are treated, by one and all, with the respect we all deserve--beyond three posts--we all would like to know a little more about each other, including you, OK?

Page 47 of 120 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.