Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
AND SPEAKING OF ONENESS:
In my opinion, HOW we perceive the NOW tells us WHO we are.

HOW is an acronym which I use as a short way of expressing our being ready and willing to be honest with ourselves; open and transparent with others, and willing to give good will (that is, love without ego-based emotionalism) to all that is, including nature, circumstances and people.

NOW stands for Nature as perceived by the senses; O stands for our One-ment with all that is--GOD; and W stands for our being ready to meditate on WHO--along with all that is--we are becoming. As we meditate on this let us not be afraid to ask some basic questions about: What...? When...? Where...? Why?...and, Who...we are.
This helps me keep focused in the NOW and come to greater consciousness--a fully functioning and pneuma-like human being capable of living on the cutting edge of time. Do a search on pneuma and pneumatology--the study of spirituality, or consciousness.

Pneumatology includes psychology--the study of how the psyche (the unconscious and animal-like mind) operates. It also includes somatology--the study of the somatic things--the physics, chemistry and the like--which make up the hardware of our computer-like body. But our psyches (software) and somas (hardware)--tools of the ego--are there, not to master, but to serve our pneumas--in charge of programming and operating.

I feel that failure to understand this is the root cause of all evil, anti-social and immoral behaviour, including allowing the harm we do to ourselves when we given in to frustration and despair. Comprehending this is the key to being at one with GOD and part of the whole process of evolution--the process of becoming who we are, co-creators with GOD.

Moral, ethical and loving agnostics and atheists--that is, people who want to be descent and just human beings free from regrets about the past, bitter cynicism in the now and fearful and despairing about the future--let me assure you: If you have problems with god-talk, so do I.

Therefore, I do not insist that you have to use words in the same way many Christians do. Some Christians like to speak of God as the Holy Trinity---Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

There was a time when I felt OK with this verbiage. Not any longer. Now I like using the acronym, GOD. I also like using the null symbol--0 with a / through it, like I use in my signature. Keep in mind it is an acronym, not a noun. If this means nothing to you, I understand.

Some writers, such as Eckart Tolle, speaks of the Presence. It would be interesting to see: What word would make you feel comfortable? Any suggestion as to a word you would like to invent?

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/03/08 10:01 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
Megastar
I think I've kept up with reading this thread. I recall being often inspired as it developed; but I don't know what to respond to (or have the time to review it now?). So let me say something that is only obliquely related to my memories of this thread.
===

I think employing an acronym is a useful teaching tool, as well as a creative, artistic expression.

I like the way different religions serve as an illustration of how and what to seek, and the way they offer wise advice about living harmoniously and sustainably (with everlasting life). Similarly, acronyms and symbols offer a way to consolidate a lot of wisdom into a small point.

I suppose the whole "worshiping idols" problem comes up, but it's just a matter of knowing what your doing; not seeing things as a child might, with the idol as primary, but instead seeing the idol as a shorthand for so much more wisdom, experience, and insight.

I can see why religions sometimes frown on idols, because after one generation the children can easily begin missing the point, and begin seeing the idol as primary.
But as a teaching tool, or a point to focus a discussion upon, symbols and acronyms are a good thing, aren't they?
smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Intelligence is not required....
Language often fails to bring out the essence of reality and so when we describe our experiences or thoughts into language or symbolism there is no universal requirement to automatically generate understanding or comprehension.
It is one thing to understand a car and that they exist in the world, then it is another to drive one and understand how it feels to drive one, then there is the understanding of the mechanics of the car and while driving one may have an expanded awareness of the cars mechanical function, its position in traffic and necessity of use in traveling across town etc. etc.
When talking about God, without the experience of God, all language and symbolism is relative to the person speaking and their beliefs and then whatever language and symbolic comprehension of one receptive to the creator of the language or symbols.
Look at it this way. If God created everything, how come we do not all understand God and his creation the same way or in fact at all?
If there could be such a gap between God's language and our understanding, imagine how ineffective our own language and symbology is.
It was once described to me that Sanskrit is the oldest living language on Earth with its origin based on resonance. Humans having lost their ability to naturally communicate intuitively or by telepathic means began to form language based on the resonant vibration of each object.
Take for instance the word "Cow." If no one had seen a "Cow" there would be no association to the animal itself, its shape, its habits, its smell, its relative size.. In the vibrational language of Sanskrit the word would imbue every aspect of its being into conscious awareness when spoken.
In the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali there is a word called Samyamah which refers to tuning to the vibrational resonance of an object to instantly know everything about it.
In the recent discoveries of String Theory it is said that particles are created by vibratory tuning, like consciousness manufacturing time and space by intention leaving a vibratory blueprint within the object that can be tuned into.
If this vibrational resonance were to be described as God's language we could more closely understand the nature of intuition or in more spiritual terms the voice of God or the Holy spirit and how we tune into God as Jesus described his communion with God.

With the way we create symbols and language and with the ego being partial to sense oriented memory association, symbols trigger reactions rather than complete knowledge.
If someone places a Cross and a swastika next to each other the senses connect to belief and opinion as it is oriented to some kind of knowledge or memory, and also feelings regardless of the intent of whoever places the symbols out to view.

I suppose one could say symbols and acronyms are a good thing, but then if they spark resentment due to an opposing belief are they still good? And are those who create symbols, in an position of natural authority connected to the essence of truth and reality in which to lead others to their own true connection to truth and reality?

Last edited by Tutor Turtle; 09/06/08 04:55 AM.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Quote:

Some writers, such as Eckart Tolle, speaks of the Presence.
In this case Tolle speaks of the Absolute/Trnascendant/Presence, not from the imagination but from his relationship of constant awareness. This in itself has an impact on others when he speaks from that awareness because it carries a resonance, or unified vibrational connection. Even if those who are listening to him speak do not have a direct experience of it, it still resonates at deep levels of the mind. This is the same Christed consciousness that Jesus spoke of to his disciples when he encouraged them to spread the word, the Aum, the teaching of the God. It is through this resonance that creation responds and consciousness manipulates waves into particles.
To simply make up a word from the limited surface of the mind and its imaginative ego will never have the same unified effect.
One of the reasons the bible mentions the word of God or that Eastern practices speak of meditating on the word of God or the Aum is because it is like the root of the tree.
While the imagination is watering branches of the tree of life by creating symbols that resonate with the ego and personality, the heart is connected to the root and is nourished by the central vibratory resonance that is in all things.
Tolle speaks of that presence of resonant being, the underlying nature of all of reality which when tuned into brings the mind to the now or the absolute potential of the Universe or as it is sometimes called the mind of God.

The Science of Yoga (union) exists because of the mechanics involved that are the nature of reality. One only need tap into the nature of reality by using the tools that allow you to do so.
By connecting to it often enough or continuously, you become one with it.
By making up words and symbols and idealizing it in the imagination you stand outside of it and by egoic determination search through the box of past impressions and fabricate according to beliefs in an idea or ideas.
The absolute underlies all ideas and it underlies all egoic treasure chests of collected impressions and imaginings of the mind based on the surface impressions of the mind and its connection to the outward directed senses.
The mind has to be directed toward the subtle nature of reality which are underlying the surface senses which are ego based and judgmental, it has to be directed inward rather than outward.

You can not by the intention of ego, intend to be in the now, or be non-judgmental and unconditioned by feelings and the past. It is not a process of self hypnosis in fact the ego is the product of self hypnosis.
Intellectual understanding has to be expanded and all impressions of the past cleansed of stress to prepare the nervous system for a clear experience of the Now.

Symbolism when generated without the experience of the "Presence/Absolute/Transcendetal now," is like throwing darts at a dart board on the moon while facing away from it blindfolded.
It feels good to the ego but has no resonant connection to the absolute reality which is beyond all beliefs and feelings.
Even if you had all 6 billion people on the planet get together and make up a word that feels good it would not bring God or the presence into being or into experience. The history of religion should be evidence enough of that reality.

Last edited by Tutor Turtle; 09/07/08 06:19 PM.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Quote:
The Science of Yoga (union) exists because of the mechanics involved that are the nature of reality. One only need tap into the nature of reality by using the tools that allow you to do so.
TT, thanks for pointing this out. You are perhaps aware that Jesus advocated "yoga".

Check out Matthew 11: 25-30.
28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
The Greek NT for, 'yoke' is ZUGOS. I understand that it is also the Greek for yoga.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Here I will add: Yoga simply means that which is "one with all that is"--what I call GOD--all that is good, orderly and well designed.

Atheists, feel free to reject God, as a personal being. So do I.But is it possible for you to reject "all that is?"

Theists, if you know that God IS a personal and ALL POWERFUL being, feel free to introduce him/her to us. I am more than willing to meet him or her.

No substitutes, please!!!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Quote:
TT, thanks for pointing this out. You are perhaps aware that Jesus advocated "yoga".

He taught the mechanics/science of Union/Yoga, Spoke of the laws of Nature and explained God in simple terms. He taught that it was the eventual destiny of all humans to return to self awareness and to unite with God, and that all suffering was due to the ego and the attention man gives to the illusion of the senses instead of the eternal spirit.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
HOW we perceive the NOW tells us WHO we are.
================================================================
A MEDITATION:
Posters: You--or someone you respect--can put this on a tape, or on a disc. Then it can be used it as a meditation.

Begin by taking a position that is comfortable for you--perhaps with the kind of background music you prefer--in a quiet place. Then listen to, or even just speak the following words to yourself:

The following words will help you relax, physically, mentally and spiritually, and bring into the INFINITE AND ETERNAL PRESENCE:
HOW is a useful acronym. It helps us remember the following principles: to be ready and willing to be
honest with self and others;

[Now pause...Breathe deeply, three...or four...times and just let the meaning of these words sink in almost without you having to think much about it. ...Now continue.]

Be open, honest and transparent, with self and others. Be willing to give good will (that is, love without ego-based emotionalism) to all that is, including nature, circumstances and people.

Pause...and repeat the above instruction about deep and relaxed breathing...

NOW is a useful acronym, also.
The N is for Nature and Nuture as perceived by the senses, with the support of Pneumature (our spiritual nature) creating a Oneness with all that is--GOD
--all Goodness, Order and Design.

W is for our being Willing and ready to meditate on
Who we are.

Pause...

WHO are we?
We are:
Wholistic beings in the process of becoming more so.
We are people who perceive the Wonder of life; the
Wow!!! in all that is. We are
Humane and Humble (teachable) beings. We are
Ontological beings
who, with others, feel good about being
in the process of becoming more so, even
One with GOD. If you prefer another term to help you be at one with the highest power, knowledge or goodness, feel free to use it.

Pause...
As we meditate on the reality of
WHO we are,
let us not be afraid to ask some basic questions about all that we perceive:

Let us ask about the
What...? When...? Where...? Why?...and, Who...? of all that we experience.

This can help us keep focused in the NOW and on our coming to greater and greater consciousness as a fully-functioning and pneuma (spiritual)-like human beings capable of living on the cutting edge of time--the infinite and eternal NOW. Feel free to add philosophical and/or theological concepts which vibrate with the what make you feel OK.

[Pause... Meditate for as long as you wish.... Then, with a sense of
The PRESENCE of all that is, return, energized to your regular activities.]

==============================================================

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/12/08 10:55 PM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
What would be the objective of this mood making scenario, and why would it be effective?
Also where does this come from?

Megastar
Megastar
I've always seen it as a fundemental problem that people don't sit back and "tune in" enough; but they often spend hours or days or even years, caught up in the rat-race of some illusion (which is often somewhat evil by religious standards).
Does this sound similar?

This comes from learning about religious ethics, I think (and maybe some from John Lennon, Wm. James, ...and others).

~ smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: samwik
I've always seen it as a fundemental problem that people don't sit back and "tune in" enough; but they often spend hours or days or even years, caught up in the rat-race of some illusion (which is often somewhat evil by religious standards).
Does this sound similar?

This comes from learning about religious ethics, I think (and maybe some from John Lennon, Wm. James, ...and others).

~ smile

I was interested in knowing where the particular meditation comes from.
Speaking of illusions.. If tuning in is based on an illusion does it really accomplish anything?

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
Speaking of illusions.. If tuning in is based on an illusion does it really accomplish anything?

No, probably never (or rarely); but what if "tuning in" (pausing to reflect, or..

Sorry, I got cut off. It was supposed to say:

No, probably never (or rarely); but what if "tuning in" (pausing to reflect, or...?) is not "based on an illusion?"

~ confused

Last edited by samwik; 09/13/08 04:25 AM. Reason: incompleted
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
I've always seen it as a fundamental problem that people don't sit back and "tune in" enough...
Sam, I have the feeling that you caught the essence of, the meaning behind, what I wrote--inspired by things I have read over the years. Other than putting the ideas together in my way, I make no other claims.

Interestingly, in Aramaic--the language of Jesus, and other semitic languages--the word we translate as 'pray' does not mean 'to ask' the gods, or God, for favours. It means 'to tune in to' , or 'connect with', the ultimate reality; that which is beyond the illusion of mere matter.

BTW, without judging the need for the material world--the world of body and mind--Eckhart Tolle, and many others like him, including the ones you mentioned, recommend this approach.

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/13/08 04:28 AM.
Megastar
Megastar
Hiya Revl.

I thought this sounded familiar, but of course the challenge is to carry this into life, sharing by example....
...or words to that effect.

...and avoiding illusion (or at least recognizing it) is a challenge too.

Thanks,
smile

p.s. See edit above (#27713).

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
I've always seen it as a fundamental problem that people don't sit back and "tune in" enough...
Sam, I have the feeling that you caught the essence of, the meaning behind, what I wrote--inspired by things I have read over the years. Other than putting the ideas together in my way, I make no other claims.

Interestingly, in Aramaic--the language of Jesus, and other semitic languages--the word we translate as 'pray' does not mean 'to ask' the gods, or God, for favours. It means 'to tune in to' , or 'connect with', the ultimate reality; that which is beyond the illusion of mere matter.

BTW, without judging the need for the material world--the world of body and mind--Eckhart Tolle, and many others like him, including the ones you mentioned, recommend this approach.
All those who have a direct experience of the absolute recommend a relationship with it. To tune into it.
However if you have never driven a car it would stand to reason you wouldn't be very effective at becoming proficient at driving by thinking about it, even if you thought about it alot.
So thinking about communing with God when you have no direct experience of God even if you think about God alot will not bring God closer to you.
There is a term called praying without ceasing, and it is in reference to constant contact or awareness with God/Presence/Absolute.
The surface of the mind is cluttered with thoughts, some 50-60,000 of them according to Stanford research. Non of those thoughts are attuned to God or the absolute. If they were there would be no illusions cast upon the world and there would be no separation of God and human awareness of God.

One of Tolle's inadequacies is that his awakening was not due to a systematic approach but rather an instantaneous moment of awareness, which gives him no point of reference to get there. What he speaks about is much like what Krishnamuri spoke of. Truth without the awareness of the approach to it.
What appeals to the ego and most of humanity when these people speak of their experiences is the possibility of instant gratification, or the possibility of it just happening to them as well.
Unfortunately Krishnamurti wasn't able to understand why no one else experienced what he did and as a result could not explain how one would get from where they were to his experience of God.
Tolle hasn't that missing piece of the puzzle, the same missing piece that Krishnamurti was without.

Tho it does make people feel better to be doing something rather than nothing, it does not help to connect God to experience just by keeping busy with thoughts of an imagined presence of being. As I mentioned once before, Religion has been our greatest example of that hope, and misconception.

Just a thought, but if the presence is all around you, in you and through you always, and you have not seen, felt or been aware of it. What would you look for by inventing an action such as self prescribed meditation? What would you tune into if you knew not what it is that was missing from your daily experience?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
TT,
Quote:
Just a thought, but if the presence is all around you, in you and through you always, and you have not seen, felt or been aware of it.
Question regarding this sentence: Did you leave it incomplete for a good reason?
Quote:
What would you look for by inventing an action such as self prescribed meditation?
Is this a rhetorical question? If it is rhetorical, are you trying to persuade readers that you have evidence of an occult truth--one known only to you?

If so, we are all ears.

BTW, because they tend to put people on the defensive, I try to avoid asking rhetorical questions. Because I find it difficult to know what the proposer has in mind, I also try to avoid answering them. Without claiming that I have The Truth I prefer to dialogue and learn from others about the nature and art of meditation.

Quote:
What would you tune into if you knew not what it is that was missing from your daily experience?
I have no idea what you have in mind. What do you have in mind? Are we having a dialogue, here? Or, is it a debate? My main interest is in dialogue.

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/13/08 04:45 PM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
TT,
Quote:
Just a thought, but if the presence is all around you, in you and through you always, and you have not seen, felt or been aware of it.
Question regarding this sentence: Did you leave it incomplete for a good reason?

It was complete and complemented when I added the questions What would you look for by inventing an action such as self prescribed meditation? What would you tune into if you knew not what it is that was missing from your daily experience?

TT,
Quote:
What would you look for by inventing an action such as self prescribed meditation?
Is this a rhetorical question? If it is rhetorical, are you trying to persuade readers that you have evidence of an occult truth--one known only to you?

No not rhetorical, and I'm not trying to persuade anyone to believe in illusions by making something up. That is the point of the dialogue. If you aren't in touch with something you want to be connected to then it stands to reason, thinking about it does not make it so.
So in light of common sense, the question becomes revelatory when confronted honestly.
TT,
Quote:

BTW, because they tend to put people on the defensive, I try to avoid asking rhetorical questions. Because I find it difficult to know what the proposer has in mind, I also try to avoid answering them. Without claiming that I have The Truth I prefer to dialogue and learn from others about the nature and art of meditation.

Then you won't mind answering the question if it is not rhetorical and you won't need to be on the defensive unless you have something to defend.
By the way Truth needs no defense.

TT,
Quote:
What would you tune into if you knew not what it is that was missing from your daily experience?
I have no idea what you have in mind. What do you have in mind? Are we having a dialogue, here? Or, is it a debate? My main interest is in dialogue.
Obviously from the subjective, dialogue becomes a definition to use as an excuse to control the direction of a topic if one decides they are uncomfortable with direct communication, especially if the topic is over ones head.
I think the question was simple enough and on topic when it refers to philosophy, religion and their mechanical support, (in this case meditation or prayer).
If you don't know how to answer the question or if you can't then say so. If you feel threatened by it then I can see where you would use the dialogue routine to avoid it. That would be the political use of the word and would also reveal the most common trait of religious dogma.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
I repeat: My main interest is in dialogue, not debate. And I do not use "dialogue" as, "...an excuse to control the direction of a topic..." (Your words.)

=================================
Quote:
If you don't know how to answer the question or if you can't then say so.

If you feel threatened by it then I can see where you would use the dialogue routine to avoid it. That would be the political use of the word and would also reveal the most common trait of religious dogma.
TT, I will leave it to readers, including the moderators, to ask you what you have in mind.

For the record: Religiously and theologically speaking, I have one basic principle, or doctrine--found in all the great religions: It is The Golden Rule. Is there anyone who does not know what this basic principle is?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Quote:
TT, I will leave it to readers, including the moderators, to ask you what you have in mind.

You already know what I have in mind. I told you, but for some odd reason you aren't able to comprehend the simplicity of it.

Quote:
My main interest is in dialogue. Without claiming that I have The Truth I prefer to dialogue and learn from others about the nature and art of meditation.
Does this mean that you are unwilling to share information regarding your own nature and art of meditation when asked for fear it will lead to a debate?

Quote:
For the record: Religiously and theologically speaking, I have one basic principle, or doctrine--found in all the great religions: It is The Golden Rule. Is there anyone who does not know what this basic principle is?

Then you would, according to your interest in dialogue (learn from others about the nature and art of meditation) be willing to give what others would give to you regarding information..

Quote:

I repeat: My main interest is in dialogue, not debate. And I do not use "dialogue" as, "...an excuse to control the direction of a topic..." (Your words.)

That remains to be seen. If you seek to gain without giving the same you neither follow a rule that is golden, nor do you dialogue without prejudice.

Megastar
Megastar
All those who have a direct experience of the absolute recommend a relationship with it.

Wow! That should be a bumper sticker!
===>

The surface of the mind is cluttered with thoughts, some 50-60,000 of them according to Stanford research. Non of those thoughts are attuned to God or the absolute. If they were there would be no illusions cast upon the world and there would be no separation of God and human awareness of God.

I find focusing on "thoughts ...attuned to God or the absolute" is a way to quiet the mind "cluttered with thoughts" and again know and feel the connection with....

But what about the car?
I get my kids to try out the pedals and gearshift, and steering wheel (but not with the car running).
And I talk to them about what I'm doing (and why) as I'm driving sometimes.
I hope this'll help when they start driving a car themselves.

~ wink

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.