Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 707 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26829 06/23/08 01:55 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

The Large Hadron Collider will probably be switched on this August.

LSAG reaffirms and extends the conclusions of the 2003 report that LHC collisions present no danger and that there are no reasons for concern. The LSAG report has been reviewed and endorsed by CERN’s Scientific Policy Committee, the group of external scientists that advises CERN’s governing body.

"Although the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) can achieve an energy
that no other particle accelerators have ever reached before,
Nature routinely produces higher energies in cosmic-ray collisions"

The group therefore conclude that it is impossible for stable microscopic black holes to be produced at the LHC. Although some some speculative theories predict the production of such particles, all the theories predict that these particles would disintegrate immediately.
Black holes, therefore, would have no time to start accreting matter, and cause macroscopic effects.

The Large Hadron Collider Safety Assessment Group (LSAG) go on to rule out the production of:- Strangelets, Vacuum Bubbles, and Proton eating Magnetic Monopoles.....their reasoning is described below.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

***Thoughts
A thought provoking report, allowing us to sleep easy in the future.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I see were still here so far.

I have to admit I had a few thoughts last night before I went to sleep , and I had to google a little for some comforting info.

here is a thought I had today after the sucessfull run of the LHC
particles / protons are still matter even if you change them into smaller bits of matter they are still left there in the collider.

reportedly from what I've read there wasnt supposed to be ANYTHING in the collision chamber today durring the test or run of the collider.

fact is today after the run there is something in there !!

what happens if these bits of matter left over after the collisions begin to form a larger mass of matter?

I can understand how a micro black hole could not form if it has nothing to form from , there must be mass in order for there to be gravity.

this brings me to the usefullness of the collider itself , if they are not intending to allow mass inside the collider then what would be the point in having the collider in the first place?

they say it is to study the conditions just after the big bang !!

this cannot be done in this collider unless they introduce a tiny universe into the collider.

and this could not be done unless they continue to run the containment chamber 24/7 and keep building up matter from the collisions inside the chamber until there is a sufficient amount of resultant matter / nuclei that has compacted in on itself minus there surrounding / orbiting systems.

and where does the energy go when the nuclear bond is broken?
is it captured? or released into the surroundings?
was there a measured release of energy?
if not then there was no breaking of the nuclear bond and there were only flashes of light from the friction as the collision was occuring.

if you were to collide a volume of matter the size of the moon you might get a mass of destroyed / broken resultant matter the size of a baseball.

who would pay for all that electricity?
we dont have enought fosil based fuel in this solar system to
perform such a feat.

why have we bothered , or was it just a funding oppurtunity?

I think that we are not yet ready for this type of thing and it should be taken apart.

there are too many unknowns that involve things we know about to chance the opperation of this collider in the manner in which they want to opperate it.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Theres no need to worry just yet Paul.

Yesterdays LHC run was just a test of a single beam running clockwise.

After testing for beam concentricity....they will run an anti-clockwise beam, and test again, in a few weeks time.

Within a couple of Months, I expect they will run both the anti and clockwise beams together and test again, for concentricity as well as ensuring the Detection apparatus is working.

Eventually before Xmas? Both beams will be put on a collision course and the Data collected.

First results by January 2009?

If the postulated Higgs Bosun is not found.....its back to the drawing board, so that all Scientists can have a rethink as to the basics of Physics and the Universe.

Scientist Steven Hawkin has placed a $100 bet, that the Higgs particle won't be found. I wonder if that small amount of money he placed, reflects upon his uncertainty?

Of course if after 5 years the Higgs is NOT found.... They will update/or plan and build a more powerful Collider.
Since it will be assumed that the Higgs will be found at an even higher energy than this LHC can provide at the present time.

We live in exciting times.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

UPDATE

My 'timings' may have been over caucious above.
For weeks read days?
For Months read weeks?

Mike Kremer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.