Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080813192458.ud84hj9h&show_article=1

I suppose it is inevitable, but I find this quite disturbing. Scientists have made a robot that is controlled by signals from rat brain cells (not a whole brain, but bunches of cells from rat fetal tissue). Doesn't appear very effective at anything so far, and when I think about it, I can't think of a real reason to object to this, but it still disturbs me! I suppose the argument in favor is that we will learn a lot about consciousness and how learning takes place, by seeing what happens as the brain learns and develops and we figure out more effective ways to organize the brain and hook it up to its robot body. Or maybe that's an argument against doing it! Learning that stuff could lead to some scary scenarios.

Mike B in OKlahoma

"Never confuse with malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree completely - this is very disturbing and troubling experimentation going on here. It is frankly sick to take brain matter from a living creature and put it in a human created machine - next thing they'll be putting human infant brain cells in military robots. This kind of experimentation should be banned by the world community. Just disgraceful abuse of animals and living creatures with souls.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
This kind of experimentation should be banned by the world community. Just disgraceful abuse of animals and living creatures with souls.

One can expect arguments and controversy based on broad ethical perspectives and religious/philosophical orientation. I suppose that, among 'thinking' people, those who take your view are likely to be - or ought to be - vegetarian or vegan. That’s a very small minority.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.