Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#274 11/06/04 09:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does water boil? Scroll down the page, its the last article under the heading: ''SOFT MATTER, BIOLOGICAL, AND INTERDISCIPLINARY PHYSICS''.

#275 11/06/04 10:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, um, what's the deal? No abstract, no link, nothing to look at. Just the title, How does water boil, and the author's name. Nothing humorous or profound there. What makes it worth posting? There must be something I'm missing...

#276 11/06/04 11:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
So, um, what's the deal? No abstract, no link, nothing to look at. Just the title, How does water boil, and the author's name. Nothing humorous or profound there. What makes it worth posting? There must be something I'm missing...
Be patient! The article has just been accepted. It will take one or two weeks to typeset the article.

Surely, finding out how water boils (a phenomena that humans and our ancestors have observed since the invention of fire, a million years ago) is a profound discovery!

#277 11/07/04 12:07 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Surely your inability to wait until there was something for people to look at gives an impression of the author.

DA Morgan
#278 11/07/04 01:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Count Iblis:
Be patient! The article has just been accepted. It will take one or two weeks to typeset the article.

Surely, finding out how water boils (a phenomena that humans and our ancestors have observed since the invention of fire, a million years ago) is a profound discovery!
You're a physicist, arent' you? The people who study electromagnetism and energy and friction and stuff, debunk psychic phenomena like clairvoyance and speaking with the dead, and yet they still seem to expect other people to somehow magically be able to read their minds and divine their thoughts and intentions without making any audible (or written) communication. My father was a physicist. I have become very proficient at mindreading.

How about if you had said, "Hey, everybody! I got a paper accepted and it's at these coordinates!"

Then we could all have gone and seen it and admired it and come back and said, "It's a fine baby! Looks really robust and rosy-cheeked. And that nose...Yeah, he sure takes after his daddy. Aww! Look at that smile! Isn't he sweet?"

You'd have felt better, I think. I'm sure you're a very bright guy. Just figure out the communication angle, and you'll have it made.

Congratulations, btw, on the publication. I hope we see many more out of you. And yes, the topic is relevant. There are a great many things that are so familiar we think we know how they work ...until we try to explain them and discover how little we actually know. I'd like to read it someday.

You've got a good start on the communication thing, you give good directions. :-)

#279 11/07/04 10:45 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
"Superconductivity in boron-doped diamond"

"Role of the dopant in the superconductivity of diamond"

Kewl! A Cooper pair is two electrons with conjugate momenta coupled into a boson by interaction with phonons (qunatized lattice vibrations). Type IIb boron-doped diamond is a p-type semiconductor - the conduction band is populatd by holes not electrons. What is the mass of a hole?

The water boiling letter would be more fun if it had an abstract. Imagine being a university physics prof being paid to watch water boil.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#280 11/07/04 11:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perhaps it was a sneak preview, sort of like an ultrasound at twenty weeks. smile

I understand yours, although I don't know how many others here do. Got a link?

#281 11/29/04 09:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#282 11/29/04 09:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Abstract

#283 12/02/04 07:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great! That's quite cool, if you pardon the pun. It is basically Grandma Meg's aphorism regarding the number of bedrooms in a house, which is that the number of bedrooms starts to increase when the rate of kids leaving home exceeds the number returning.

Er, if you're still at Max Plancke Institut, could you do me a favor? Wander across campus to the Limnologie/Entomologie Dept, and thank Max Zompro for me? He discovered the Mantophasmatodea insect ("Gladiator") a short while back. By sheer coincidence I started a series of novels in Dec 2000 that had as one of its cast and crew a five foot version of this insect. It's in the series of novel excerpts at the following website:

www.geocities.com/gjsittler/AmaranthRose.html

So far he has a starring/supporting role in 4.5 novels and several short stories! (the insect, not Dr. Zompro!:-) )

Seriously, congratulations on your publication, really. And it's really a beautiful baby; it resembles you a lot, especially about the smile! ;-)

"Amaranth Rose"

#284 12/02/04 01:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would loved to have been the Author, but sadly that honor goes to Prof. Zahn!

#285 12/02/04 02:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I would loved to have been the Author, but sadly that honor goes to Prof. Zahn!
Bask in all the reflected glory you can get! laugh laugh

@)--`--,---

#286 12/22/04 03:41 PM
T
T
According to some in the new energy field, landing the job of watching water boil would be a step UP the corporate ladder for most university physics professors...

timer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.