Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Somewhere back in a previous discussion, I suggested that our Universe might not be the expanding spherical sphere that we all believe in, and accept.
I had suggested that there might be an uneven expansion of matter, which would show our accepted expanding sphere, as an expanding rubber glove, complete with 'fingers and depressions' instead.
http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=25867&fpart=2

In the above Scienceagogo thread, I wrote:-
"The accepted analogy for the expansion of the Universe, is the expansion of a balloon being blown up, or better, the currants within a cake that is being baked.
The Galaxys, or currants separate from each other as the cake expands during baking.
While this analogy is true, my personal opinion is that our Universe may not be expanding consistantly in every direction. Its shape might not be like an expanding rubber balloon,.... but more like a rubber glove complete with fingers.
I reasoned that this was due to the large Galaxy Andromeda, fast approaching our own MilkyWay galaxy, which will eventually merge with us.
Just this single merging of two large galaxies, must spoil the accepted "nice even" spherical picture we believe the expanding Universe shows us. With a million more Galaxies way-out there, that will eventually collide and merge, to spoil this constant and even expansion.? (In my view of things)
Stating the Red shifts that we see now, will not change, but to also remember there are also a few blue shifts as well.
All in all, this suggested to me, that our Universe is not such an even expanding sphere as we might believe?
I said that protruding fingers of matter, even depressions, probably exist all around us?
Yet another question for Astronomers to prove or disprove?"

Well, Redenur pointed out that I may have put forward an incorrect idea as to why I think the Universe is not expanding evenly. His thoughts and ideas, I duly noted.

But I have now found a recent idea which supports my view.

The problem is that we may have to wait another twenty years before 'An uneven expanding Universe' can be proved.

Pre-amble:-
"Convention suggests that Space Time is expanding at the same rate in every part of the universe, meaning that the distribution of matter is roughly the same.
Although this makes sense theoretically, nobody has been able to test this assumption definitively.

However there is a test which can get around and solve this problem.
All you have to do is measure the light from objects such as Quasars, and see if these frequency measurements change over time.
Measuring the same 'Red Shift' of similar objects over say 10 years, would show if different parts of space are expanding at different rates.
If different parts of space are expanding at different speeds, then the Red Shifts of two objects that match initially for instance, would be out of kilter 10 years later.
If this is true, the case for Dark Energy would start to look shaky.
Unfortunately we will have to wait 10 years before the super sensitive red-shift spectrograph on the European E Large Telescope will be ready. Plus another 10 years to compare the minute Red-shift differences that are expected to be detected.

For a Complicated Url, read below (page 4)

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0801/0801.0068v1.pdf

Another read, Also with suggestion that the necessary
sensitivity to detect differing Redshifts, again may take years to achieve.

>In another upcoming Physical Review Letters, Jean-Philippe Uzan of Pierre and Marie Curie University in Paris, along with Chris Clarkson and George Ellis of the University of Cape Town in Rondebosch, South Africa, suggest a different way to test the Copernican principle. They note that over time, as dark energy speeds up cosmic acceleration, the recession velocities of galaxies would change, as indicated by a change in their redshift — the shift in wavelength of light to redder, or longer wavelengths, due to a speedup.
By measuring both redshifts and distances to remote galaxies over a 10-year span, the researchers say that astronomers should be able to tell whether we live in a Copernican universe.

In a cosmos that is the same everywhere, “the expansion rate of the universe at distant objects and the distances we measure to those objects have to be related in a very precise way, notes Clarkson. That’s not the case in a universe with a special location.
“At the moment, any Redshift drift can't be measured at all, so very large telescopes are needed together with very sensitive spectrographs,” Clarkson says. “It's an extremely small effect.”
Caldwell says that “mathematically they may be justified, but the necessary precision and accuracy will not be achievable for many years.”< (sciencenews.org)

***Very easy read below- Newscientist.com

IS OUR SPOT IN THE UNIVERSE SOMEHOW SPECIAL?
It is an age-old question, but now there's a way to answer it once and for all - as long as we're patient.

Convention has it that our neck of the woods is very ordinary, based on what's known as the Copernican principle, which states that the cosmos is pretty much the same wherever you go. It suggests space-time is expanding at the same rate in every part of the universe, meaning that the distribution of matter is roughly the same.
Although this makes sense theoretically, nobody has managed to test this assumption definitively.
Previous attempts have rested on further assumptions, such as the nature of gravity, or how matter is distributed through the universe -in other words, they rely on trusting our cosmological models, which were built on the Copernican principle.

Now Jean-Philippe Uzan of the Paris Astrophysics Institute in France, working with Chris Clarkson and George Ellis of the University of Cape Town in South Africa, have a test that gets around this problem.
All you have to do is measure the light from objects such as quasars, and see if these measurements change over time.
The paper will be published in Physical Review Letters.

Light shifts towards the red end of the spectrum on its journey to Earth because the expansion of the intervening space causes the light's wavelength to increase. Uzan and colleagues say that measuring the "red shift" of various objects over a period of say, 10 years would show whether the Copernican principle is false.
If different parts of space are expanding at different rates, then the red shifts of two objects that match initially, for instance, would be out of kilter 10 years later.

Dark energy is thought to be accelerating the expansion of the universe. But if expansion rates differ over areas of space rather than time, it would scupper dark energy models that assume acceleration is uniform.
Ruth Durrer of the University of Geneva in Switzerland likes the idea. "It could have a profound effect on the interpretation of the apparent acceleration," Durrer says. "It could help us get rid of dark energy."
We might be in for a bit of a wait before the test can be done, however. The only way to measure red shift accurately enough will be by using the CODEX spectrograph at the European 'Extremely Large Telescope', which won't be online for at least 10 years.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Good to see you come back on this, Mike. I'm trying my best not to make this easy for you grin

Mike: I reasoned that this was due to the large Galaxy Andromeda, fast approaching our own Milky Way galaxy, which will eventually merge with us...Just this single merging of two large galaxies, must spoil the accepted "nice even" spherical picture we believe the expanding Universe shows us. With a million more Galaxies way-out there, that will eventually collide and merge, to spoil this constant and even expansion.? (In my view of things)

- I think you now realise that this is wrong. To understand why it's wrong, it's essential to consider the tiny distance between galaxies within clusters, and even superclusters, compared to the tremendous volumes of space at which homogeneity becomes observable. Expansion prevails over gravity only where the distance, and therefore the expansion factor, is sufficient to overcome gravitational attraction. There are an estimated 200,000,000,000 (observable) galaxies. Many of them are colliding due to mutual gravitation. The relatively short distance between them serves to decrease the effect of expansion and increase the effect of gravity. You may already have seen this, re large scale structure:

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/millennium/

Mike: "but to also remember there are also a few blue shifts as well."

- Can you find a single example of blue shift beyond our local galaxy cluster that isn't accounted for by rotation?

There may eventually turn out to be evidence to support your general idea, Mike, but a collision of galaxies is not it, and neither is blue shift.

From the PDF link (http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0801/0801.0068v1.pdf):

"However, it was recently revisited in the context of Extremely Large Telescopes (ELT), arguing they could measure velocity shifts of order 1 &#8722; 10 cm/s over a 10 year period from the observation of the Lyman-
forest in QSO absorption spectra."

...1 - 10 cm/s/ten years! That's astounding!

Keep it coming.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Somewhere back in a previous discussion, I suggested that our Universe might not be the expanding spherical sphere that we all believe in, and accept.
I had suggested that there might be an uneven expansion of matter, which would show our accepted expanding sphere, as an expanding rubber glove, complete with 'fingers and depressions' instead.

(previous discussions above)

Update on the above Threads below. July 3rd'08

http://uk.reuters.com/article/scienceNew...171&sp=true

"The Solar system is a bit squashed, not nicely round"

Not exactly as my discussed theory, but I consider it near enough
to deserve a place within these threads.
Data returned by Vogager I and Voyager II, both powered by long-life Nuclear batteries, I presume?

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 07/03/08 11:28 PM. Reason: recomposed

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Z
Superstar
Superstar
Z
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
..space Time is expanding at the same rate in every part of the universe, meaning that the distribution of matter is roughly the same..
This dilemma is formal base of MOND theory, which is quite old (1984+ or so.).

MOND theory predicts the Universe expansion acceleration given by product of Hubble constant and light speed by using of approach, you've mentioned above. This value agrees well for example with anomalous acceleration of Pioneer space probe, so it's testable experimentally.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.