Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Two movies that have not been mentioned are:
Kronos
Demon Seed

Kronos, made in 1957, is about an alien that comes to consume the world's resources. It appears as a meteorite and becomes a big robot.

Demon Seed, made in 1977, is about artificial intelligence and a computer that seeks to preserve itself by taking over a computer controlled house and constructing machines to make its escape.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
rede- the repeats of Voyager have just finished on pay tv here! Originally they were on at 3am on free to air and I would forget to record them. I really enjoyed watching it, and the themes still had universal appeal. They were always interested in examining real time problems. I was sad to see it finish too as I think it had some of the most interesting characters in SF TV. ---though I have to put in a word here for Piccard and Data in The Next Generation.

There is talk of a prequel with the characters from the 2 series meeting at "The Academy", but I hope that's just a baseless rumour as I really dislike prequels!

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Ellis
At the the risk of sounding like a Star Trek addict - okay, I confess, I am - last night, I watched the Next Generation episode with Data's daughter. Oops, I'll rephrase that! I mean I watched the episode in which Data creates a daughter. I see what you mean about Picard and Data. Patrick Stewart plays his role brilliantly, and Brent Spiner is great as an innocent Pinocchio too. I think both series examine ethics, human nature and society very successfully without becoming turgid. Bootiful.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
S
S
Hi,
Great stuff. I'm a big fan of Sci Fi Movies.

CSK

Most of the movies suggested seem to have been more reflections of their time -

2001 reflecting the bursting optimism of the 1960.
Blade Runner reflecting the dystopia of the 1980s.
Star Wars the vacuous 1970s.

On this basis Metropolis stands out as a truer and more influential attempt to show or warn or the future of mankind in the hands of despots, turning man into automotons to the corporate machine.

"A kind of magic" - "Dragon's Vale"
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I have now seen the new Star Trek movie and I owe it an apology. It had great story-telling and lots of in-jokes and explanations for all sorts of quirks in the original TV series, as in the reason for the hostility of 'Bones' for Kirk, and the friendship of Spock and Kirk for eg. It certainly managed the prequel idea MUCH MUCH better than Star Wars, partly I think because there was no obvious leap in filming technology (such as graphics) and so it was more possible to accept the early characters as the same people as they were in the 70s, or was it the 60s? I really enjoyed it and give it 4 stars ****!

R
R
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Inception
Star Wars
The Matrix
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Alien

Above are some best sci-fi movies which i have seen and would like to share with all.............

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
See comment on "James Cameron's Avatar and Climate Change". It applies here as well.

There never was nothing.
R
R
The Most Influential Sci Fi Movie according to me are:

The Thing (1982)
The Terminator (1984)
District 9 (2009)
Twelve Monkeys (1995)
V for Vendetta (2006)
Stalker (1979)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
The War Game (1965)
Star Trek (2009)
The Truman Show (1998)

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
'Looper' is REALLY good! ---(Note the suggestion of rather patronising surprise!)

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
I am very surprised that no-one has yet mentioned

"A.I.Artificial Intelligence"

The amazing Sci-Fi Film, that Speilberg produced and dedicated to his friend Stanley Kubrick.

It showed the problems the very first Android Boy programed in human history to feel Human emotions,
....had living with with both Humans and their Robots.
All alone, 2000 years later, on an Earth devoid of Human life, he is found by a group of Aliens.

Unique Sci-Fi picture of the future, that can tug at your heart strings at times. Well worth watching.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Superstar
Superstar
A.I. was an amazing film. It touched on many facets of human life and our relationship to others. How we view machines, and the ability of machines to relate to us in different ways. How we deal with machines that are sapient and adaptable in a disposable mind-set.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.