Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Im not a chemist or a biologist type.

I was just thinking that there might be a safe way to color the
water around the poles to lessen the melting speeds.

is there a microbe that would be bouyant enought to remain on the waters surface whos color would reflect sunlight?

or a bacteria , I have a 40 ft long ditch beside my house because
it rains so much that I cant finish my geo thermal system , and
there is a bright white fungus or bacteria that is growing on the soil , and it made me re-think about quick fixes that might help.

or perhaps something like milk?

a spray on foam that floats?

any ideas?

Last edited by paul; 06/12/08 06:04 PM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
Megastar
Hiya Paul,

Those ideas sound way too disrubtive, intrusive, and irreversible.

I think some sort of reversible shading provided by satellites would be a cheap, quick solution for the sooty Arctic; it wouldn't even be visually perceptible.

Whatever we do should be easily reversible, like a thermostat.

smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Samwik

Quote:
Those ideas sound way too disrubtive, intrusive, and irreversible.

I think some sort of reversible shading provided by satellites would be a cheap, quick solution for the sooty Arctic; it wouldn't even be visually perceptible.

if we did the shade / umbrella in space thing as I posted several months / years ago on the forum , it would need to be researched for way to long as research goes , and probably 10 years in the making.

with weather changing the way it is , there may not be weather then suitable for a launch.

there may not even be a florida to launch from.
if something big happens at the antartic there is a straight line to the east coast , and you ever notice how south america and africa might form a nozzle for a tsunami that would start in the antartic.

what ever we do we need to start doing it , because if we wait until its too late , then it will be too late.

I think the idea of a space shade is a good one as long as we can control it.

it would be a bad thing for us to get one up and then not be able to turn it off , when it has done its job , and it keeps on doing its job , brrrrrr.

you've seen all of the cities on the news lately , all the flooding , tornado's and high winds , well this is just a
taste of what we have in store if things dont change and rapidly
asap.

Last edited by paul; 06/13/08 02:03 AM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: paul
what ever we do we need to start doing it , because if we wait until its too late , then it will be too late.

A quote worthy of Yogi Berra!
smile

Hi Paul,
I don't think the satellites would be very complicated; and they could even be designed to optionally increase solar radiation with mirrors on the reverse side of the movable shades.
All the Arctic countries could have their own set of satellites to "force" their section of the ice-pack and their "regional weather."
I can't imagine how the Arctic countries could agree on a "global" geoengineering project within ten years.
smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Samwik

Quote:
I can't imagine how the Arctic countries could agree on a "global" geoengineering project within ten years.

That raises another serious point.

If a space shade were the answer and could be accomplished within the year or two that
we have left to accomplish it in we would need permission to do so.

for instance how would we feel if another country were to impose a shade on our country?

Im sure that this space shade would work and could be accomplished within two years because as you say it would not be too complicated just a small shield that unfolds itself in space

solar wind would effect its location , but thanks for the new ion propulsion systems / lifter tech in development there is a means of maintaining the shield in a solar orbital position that orbits with the earth , without the need for refeuling in space.

it would be a major accomplishment just to get our government to do something that makes any sence , in a reasonable amount of time.

not to mention the other governments , all the worlds governments that the shade would effect , and that would
be (all the worlds governments).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.