Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Very slow Twice-a-day Earthquakes have been recorded in Antartica.
Unoticed, apparently they have been going on for a few years now, with similar quakes in Greenland.

I don't really know what to say about this.
Glaciers are apparently more flexible than we realised.
Their alternate flexing and compression, (the lunar cycle?) must
produce some water at their base, helping them move?

URL added ...Apolgies

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2008/604/3

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 06/10/08 12:02 AM. Reason: URL added

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

J
J
Do you have a link?

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: John M Reynolds
Do you have a link?

Sorry John

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2008/604/3

Mike Kremer

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
lets hope that the ice can always catch a grip as it settles down onto the rock.

I suspect that the earthquake / icequake is only the ice breaking off the rock underneath.

this sounds a little related to the reply I made a day or so ago
on another topic.

ie..
Quote:
I know this sounds far fetched and even twilight zoney but just thinking about what would happen if a large ice mass were to lose its grip on the surrounding mountains or land mass due to expansion...and begin a quick slide into the ocean.

the other reply on the other topic

and as I said then I wish I had a map without the ice.

is there any way to determine if this slab could slide quickly into the sea?

this up and down action could remove what keeps it from continuing into the sea.

and there is really nothing we could do about it except warn those in the path of the resulting tsunami / tsunami's.

here is something else about the ice sheet from 2006...

West Antarctic Ice Sheet .. Whillans

Quote:
Potential collapse of the WAIS
In January 2006, in a UK government-commissioned report, the head of the British Antarctic Survey, Chris Rapley, warned that this huge west Antarctic ice sheet may be starting to disintegrate, an event that could raise sea levels by at least 5 metres (16 ft). Estimates by others have ranged from 6 to 15 m (20–50 ft). Rapley said a previous Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report playing down worries about the ice sheet's stability should be revised. "The last IPCC report characterized Antarctica as a slumbering giant in terms of climate change," he wrote. "I would say it is now an awakened giant. There is real concern." [4]

Rapley said, "Parts of the Antarctic ice sheet that rest on bedrock below sea level have begun to discharge ice fast enough to make a significant contribution to sea level rise. Understanding the reason for this change is urgent in order to be able to predict how much ice may ultimately be discharged and over what timescale. Current computer models do not include the effect of liquid water on ice sheet sliding and flow, and so provide only conservative estimates of future behaviour." [5]

James Hansen, a senior NASA scientist who is a leading climate adviser to the US government, said the results were deeply worrying. "Once a sheet starts to disintegrate, it can reach a tipping point beyond which break-up is explosively rapid," he said. [6]

Indications that climate change may be affecting the west Antarctic ice sheet comes from three glaciers, including Pine Island and Thwaites. Data reveal they are losing more ice - mainly through the calving of icebergs - than is being replaced by snowfall. According to a preliminary analysis, the difference between the mass lost and mass replaced is about 60%. The melting of these three glaciers alone is contributing an estimated 0.24 millimetres per year to the rise in the worldwide sea level[4]. There is growing evidence that this trend is accelerating: there has been a 75% increase in Antarctic ice mass loss in the ten years 1996-2006, with glacier acceleration a primary cause[7].

Polar ice experts from the U.S. and U.K. met at the University of Texas at Austin in March, 2007 for the West Antarctic Links to Sea-Level Estimation (WALSE) Workshop. The experts developed a new hypothesis to explain the observed increased melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. They proposed that changes in air circulation patterns brought on by a warming atmosphere has led to increased upwelling of warm water along the coast of Antarctica and that that warm water has increased the melting of the floating edge of the ice sheet.[8] Recently published data collected from satellites support this hypothesis, suggesting that the west Antarctic ice sheet is beginning to show signs of instability.[9]

Last edited by paul; 06/10/08 01:21 AM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
J
J
Originally Posted By: Paul
is there any way to determine if this slab could slide quickly into the sea?

I would doubt that it could slide quickly into the sea. First, we would have to figure out why this one sheet, and not the others, is sliding in spurts. Has its speed changed over time? We also have to realize that this sheet could be attached to other sheets at the edges and that the slope of the land may not be steep. I wonder how long this sheet has been doing this over half meter twice a day slide.

Originally Posted By: Paul
this up and down action could remove what keeps it from continuing into the sea.

I will try to remember to take pictures of the rocks here that had been carved by glaciers eons ago.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
John

Quote:
I will try to remember to take pictures of the rocks here that had been carved by glaciers eons ago.

That is a great Idea !

try to find rocks that look as if they were carved by any up and down motion.

gouge marks that begin at the tops of rocks and continue downwards.

this would indicate that large rocks were embeded in the ice as it lifted and then came to rest.

If any type of glacial action as this could be found in canada it would probably be somewhere in a depression or close to a large lake that is subject to tides.

Last edited by paul; 06/11/08 02:18 AM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
J
J
I live on the Canadian Shield. It is a large zone that has exposed sedimentary rock. Eons ago, it was covered by a mile (or was it a kilometer) or so of ice. Last weekend, I went hiking over the rocks a couple hundred meters from my home with my son like we often do. Once again, we found some evidence of glaciers. I just hope a photograph can do it justice. It is on a hill, but it is nowhere near a large lake, so tides is not a factor here. Sorry.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: John M Reynolds
I live on the Canadian Shield... so tides is not a factor here. Sorry.

I think you'll find that even there, the lunar/tidal effect causes your elevation to change by up to 10 or more centimeters, twice/day.

So glaciers too would experience this effect, but I don't think it could cause any "scouring," as the scale would be too local. Similarly, I don't think there will be any sliding due to tidal/elevation changes; but just a slight overall heating (melting/refreezing on a nano/meso scale) of the glacial masses and sea ice (just like with the ocean tides).

CheerS.A.
smile

p.s. Really cool find Mike K. Thanks!

Last edited by samwik; 06/11/08 06:17 AM. Reason: add p.s.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.