Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26304 05/29/08 11:15 PM
B
Big Walt
Unregistered
Big Walt
Unregistered
B
.... we have met the aliens and they are us….

There have been experiments performed to prove the existence of this thought, the multiverse. An experiment called the double slit experiment devised by Richard Feynman resulted in some rather strange results. I for one do not really know if a bridge can be constructed using high speed particals in a Hadron Collider to create Einstein Rosen Bridges (Worm Holes To The Past). Like you I have pondered this very same question, is time travel possible. I initially said no way for time travel but as I kept reading a unique set of words kept popping up again and again and here is what I am reading...

A growing number of physicists Richard Feynman, N. Ph. Georgiades, E.S.Polzik and H. J. Kimble are convinced that the thing we call ‘the universe’ — namely space, with all the matter and energy it contains — is not the whole of reality. According to quantum theory — the deepest theory known to physics — our universe is only a tiny facet of a larger multiverse, a highly structured continuum containing many universes.

I could easily write some deep explanation with scientific clarity but to answer the hypothesis of cause and effect and tell you that the laws that govern our universe can not be broken, but what if when you go back in time and make a change to the time line the change does not effect your future but rather an alternate future in the multiversity.

Everything in our universe — including you and me, every atom and every galaxy — has counterparts in these other universes. Some counterparts are in the same places as they are in our universe, while others are in different places. Some have different shapes, or are arranged in different ways; some are so different that they are not worth calling counterparts. There are even universes in which a given object in our universe has no counterpart

On large scales, universes obey the laws of classical physics, and so each behaves as though the others were not there. But on microscopic scales, quantum mechanics becomes dominant and the universes are far from independent. Universes that are very alike are close together in the multiversity and affect each other strongly, though only in subtle, indirect ways — a phenomenon known as quantum interference.

Without quantum interference, electrons would spiral into atomic nuclei, destroying every atom literally in a flash. Solid matter would be unstable, and the phenomena of biological evolution and human thought would be impossible. And as I shall explain, it is quantum interference that provides our evidence for the existence of the multiversity.

Through interference, its counterparts in other universes can affect each particle in our universe. What we see as a single subatomic particle is really a sprawling trans-universe structure, spanning a large region of the multiversity. Although we cannot see the parts of this structure that are outside our universe, we can infer their presence from the results of experiments.

As I said scientists are going to experiment with high speed partials at CERN so the rules have not been written yet, we have no unified theory yet. We just do not know what is possible. I for one hope for time travel, can you just imagine knocking on your families door in say 1941 would they believe you came from the future or just call the cops saying you are a madman. No one would ever believe you.
[color:#FF0000][/color]

#26305 05/30/08 01:49 AM
R
R
I would say time travel is easy because don't we all do it every day?

Rallem #26311 05/30/08 03:36 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hi BW

"Without quantum interference, electrons would spiral into atomic nuclei, destroying every atom literally in a flash."

- I've been searching the net in vain for information about this. Do you happen to know where I could find it?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
#26667 06/17/08 08:11 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Big Walt
.... we have met the aliens and they are us….

There have been experiments performed to prove the existence of this thought, the multiverse. An experiment called the double slit experiment devised by Richard Feynman resulted in some rather strange results. I for one do not really know if a bridge can be constructed using high speed particals in a Hadron Collider to create Einstein Rosen Bridges (Worm Holes To The Past). Like you I have pondered this very same question, is time travel possible. I initially said no way for time travel but as I kept reading a unique set of words kept popping up again and again and here is what I am reading...

A growing number of physicists Richard Feynman, N. Ph. Georgiades, E.S.Polzik and H. J. Kimble are convinced that the thing we call ‘the universe’ — namely space, with all the matter and energy it contains — is not the whole of reality. According to quantum theory — the deepest theory known to physics — our universe is only a tiny facet of a larger multiverse, a highly structured continuum containing many universes.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Welcome to the forum Big Walt

I like your headline..."We have met the Aliens, and they are us".

Yes I can pretty much agree with you about that, thats my theory as well. Like yourself, I'm always interested in the universe. Magnetic stars, high speed neutron spinning and Black Holes plus other basics.
I know there is a problem with the size of black holes.
Especially very large black holes. How could they get so huge
within the the life of our universe?
Black Holes reside within all spinning galaxies. The faster they
spin, or the bigger they are......the bigger is the Black Hole
that holds their mass together. Thats the theory, its a theory that no one doubts. For a Black hole has to reside within a spinning galaxy to provde the extra mass/gravity to stop it flying apart.
But some of these B Holes are so huge, so big, being equal in
mass to many thousands of very large Suns, and more.
This has caused a problem for many astronomers, since there just
has not been enough time since the birth of the universe for the
largest black holes to have grown that huge by gobbling up gas, plus thousands of very large Stars. Even to have been born, or condensed, within the center of a Galaxy, does not give it
enough time to grow, since there is always a gravitational tussle between the spinning Galaxy and its central Black Hole that is sucking in the surrounding matter.
It takes a finite time for that matter to spiral down into a black hole.

So how did the these BlackHoles get so large, able to hold
together our Galaxy, Andromeda, or any other spinning galaxy for that matter?
My very recent idea is quite simply that Black holes must have another source to feed upon.
I think that source is the invisible energy and matter, that is being produced everywhere within our universe, (also causing the Univers's expansion)
Black holes must be gobbling up invisible matter as fast as they can, and at a sufficient rate to make them grow very large, easily within the life of our universe.
In fact this invisible matter and energy must be streaming in
from all sides, into a Black Hole.
Streaming past us, into the center of our galaxy. Prehaps a Black Hole has a special affinity for invisible matter?
Maybe invisible matter tends to become more dense when it approaches a black hole?
Brushing on inward, it might even help to hold a spinning galaxy together. Anyway the result is that the black hole gets more massive somewhat quicker, and now well within the lifetime of our Universe. This would solve the current problem regarding their size, versus growth time.
So there you are.....Black Holes eat invisible matter.
Hehehe, got that out of my system.

Only there is a little more to my theory.
When this invisible matter reaches the black hole....it goes
straight in. Thats right, straight in, no Swartzchild radii, or
circling and stretching of matter here. Thats only for normal
matter. This is invisible matter, it goes on straight into the Black Hole, its gobbled up instantly.
Now wait for it.....as soon as this invisible matter enters the Black hole, the invisible matter changes into normal matter instantly. Well why not?
Now the Black hole grows really quickly, and everybody is happy
problem solved.
Huge black Holes with more mass than thousands of suns don't have a growth problem any more.
In fact in the normal course of events a Black Hole can be seen
to spew out its excess energy, and normal matter, from its
opposite magnetic type poles, thus helping to contribute to the
formation of stars and gasses, thousands of light years away.

Phew, well thats about it.
In fact I would'nt be surprised, and even hope, ...that if the
number of Black holes in our Universe were to double, the
expansion rate of our universe might be reduced by half?
Well thats the basis of my recent theory, do with it what you
will. In fact if you clean it up and send it to the right people
they will most certainly make you into a real Alien of note.

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 06/17/08 08:57 AM. Reason: Deleted a line

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Mike Kremer #26762 06/20/08 12:31 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Mike: "In fact I wouldn't be surprised...if the number of Black holes in our Universe were to double, the expansion rate of our universe might be reduced by half?"

Do you agree, Mike, that an increase in the number of black holes could only cause a reduced expansion rate if that increase represented an increase in the total mass of the universe?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.