Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RicS Offline OP
OP Offline
G'day,

I'm currently searching for TV or other documentary style programs that have been produced that either question the reality of global warming, whether it is man made or strongly support global warming. There are now quite a few out there but I'm having trouble finding several that I have clips out of without the appropriate citation.

Please understand that I am now faced with extreme difficulty of being of limited use to do anything other than to type sideways for limited periods and I would very much appreciate those that would be willing to assist me to perform searches such as the above without smart comments such as: "Do it yourself. It only requires a Google Search".

I'm preparing some lectures and articles that are mostly done and am receiving surprisingly little assistance. My daughter does try but she just cannot think laterally when it comes to Climatology. Make it French or Ancient History or Chemistry and she has no trouble at all but Climatology just doesn't turn her on terribly much.

Your reward? My heartfelth thanks and not much else. Any paper where acknowledgements are allowed will include anyone who has helped me but very few papers have such a section available, more's the pity. You can write a novel and thank your Maiden Aunt for bringing you up right when you were 6 and teaching you how to make ripples in duck ponds but in non-fiction this seems to be frowned upon.

I don't believe I will be posting here for much longer so if anyone has any queries they would like to discuss with me, think of doing it sooner rather than later. I'd like to leave with no anomosity to those on the board and with sufficient attempts to discuss climate change that even if someone does not agree with me, they at least find something of use to them in my very often overly long and meandering posts.

Best Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
I am new to this post and cutting to the quick I would just like to say I believe the earth is warming up but I don't believe it is because we are burning fossil fuel. I surely don't believe that Al Gore is going to fix the problem either. Even if he did invent the internet. the earth goes through climatic changes in cycles, it always has. Even Mars is warming up, and we arent't burning any fossil fuels there, unless spirit is burning an enoumous amount of fuel instead of solar batteries. I read an interesting article today from a Russian scientist, in fact he published the paper saying that the Tunguska explosion in 1908 was a factor in the equation of global warming. I will be glad to look it back up and send a link if anyone wants it. I'm not saying I believe this, but I am saying eveyone wants to blame everything but the variation in tilt of the earth the wobbling effect, conditions inside the earth and normal changes in the general mechanics of the earth. I think the only thing sinsister here is government trying to take more money from you to pay for useless research and applying economic restrictions to further put this country in third world status. I respect everyones opinion and we should find better and cheaper sources of energy, but don't shut down the country because of a screaming profit of doom that is basing his hypothesis on only a few years of data that could be read either way.

Best Regards
Odin1

People will forgive you for anything -but being right !
odin1

Megastar
Megastar
Richard,
Greetings; my thoughts are with you, as often over these past 18 months.

I caught most of a CSPAN2 broadcast yesterday. It was one of these (for lack of a better...) right-wing, insular views of protestant ethic capitalism as the solution to all our problems. Hmmmm, perhaps I over-react.

Anyway it was a vice-president of some policy branch of the Heartland Institute, speaking at a production of the Heritage Foundation (with an audience full of Heritagites).
The first half of the presentation is full of scientific-like looking charts and graphs along with a Bjorn Loonborg type argument; both incomplete, misleading and concluding with unjustified extrapolations.
...much like the actual cool-it video.

...and then the second half is an exposition on the virtues and wisdom of free-market capitalism as a solution to these climate change problems (which 'don't exist, or are good for us' according to the first half of the presentation).

http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/cspan.csp?command=dprogram&record=562713740
which links to
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/in...cts_id=204533-1

*_*
For a true scientific presentation of some recent CC observations, and to see an honest, forthright, occasionally fallible and humorous presentation; see:

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=202487-1%3E%20&products_id=202487-1

Hope this helps....

p.s.

Hey Richard, I especially want to say thanks for mentoring me along the way, as I started out my journey on these internet fora, learning about the science and politics of climate change. It is so helpful to approach things from a skeptical viewpoint and be wary of final conclusions. I attempt to continue and spread that tradition.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
RicS Offline OP
OP Offline
G'day Samwik,

Thanks for the post, the links are much appreciated. I'm looking for the names of BBC shows, and US shows both very pro global warming and those that are sceptical but your contributions are still terrific.

And thank you for the PS. It was much appreciated. But for my medical condition I know would have probably have finished my Climatology PhD but you know what I'd really like to have achieved. A text book on scientific progress, the form of studies and research currently acceptable especially in Climatology and just how much an underlying assumption or a particular methodology used in the research can play such a major roll in distorting the results of research.

Final conclusions, to my mind should be banned from research papers. They often provide sound bites that have no relevance to the research actually conducted. I'm so glad that all my posts have at least had an effect on one person. All science should be viewed with a healthy dose of scepticism.

It is such a pity that the scientific methodologies used in research are now paid so little attention or that assumptions made are now so rarely challenged. Science should be all about advancing our understanding of the Universe, not a quest to obtain the most funding!

As I have said very many times, I'm a fan of global warming. The alternative is not pleasant to contemplate but in all the time I have been reviewing Climate studies I have yet to find one that supposedly supports global warming that is not seriously flawed either in the assumptions used or the methodologies. That's just sad. Some of the research is extremely interesting and probably makes many valid points that could be useful but the flaws just make it impossible to trust that the research is mostly, partly or even slightly accurate.

Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness
RicS Offline OP
OP Offline
G'day Samwik again,

By the by, I had no idea that I was mentoring anybody on this site. If that's what the result was, I'm happy but it wasn't something I ever thought I was doing. Now, getting Amaranth Rose to be much more sceptical of global warming articles or papers, that was very much deliberate!

I probably will not be posting her for a while. Hospital beckons. But if I can I will return. It is currently quite pleasant posting here. No obnoxious comments. Oh and that doesn't mean that I don't welcome criticism, I do. I like differing opinions to mine. It keeps your mind ticking over.

Richard

Megastar
Megastar
Dear Richard,
I hope you fare well on your journey.

"Life is just Nature's way of turning light into heat."

We're certainly doing a worthy job of this ourselves, here.
That we may continue, I look forward to your speedy return.

Until....
~Sam

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Superstar
Superstar
Richard,
I'm inclined to be skeptical of anything that smacks of "you must believe this". I think that Global warming may be happening, but it is not necessarily man made. I think we're in a natural state of flux that is bound to show some eccentricities from time to time, and I think that we are in an eccentric phase right now. Let us remember that within recorded history Greenland was lush and fertile, growing grapes even. I think it's possible to return to that state, without endangering human survival on this planet.

Hope you feel better soon.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: RicS
I'm currently searching for TV or other documentary style programs that have been produced that either question the reality of global warming, whether it is man made or strongly support global warming. There are now quite a few out there but I'm having trouble finding several that I have clips out of without the appropriate citation.

I haven't viewed these, but they sound like the kind of thing you might be looking for.
http://biocharfund.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=33
...scroll down to bottom for links to GW documentaries.
~SA smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.