Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the terms "Law" and "Theory" in the context of science. In particular, many people believe the following erroneous ideas:

1. Theories are necessarily less certain than laws.
2. Theories graduate into laws when they are known for certain.
3. Laws are assumed as absolute truth.
4. The definitions are part of a conspiracy of biologists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTaiP04UlxE&feature=inbox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-I0mRq8Dw

Megastar
Megastar
Thanks TFF,
...for keeping at this. Definitions are important. Discrimination is important. I welcome additions over on "Semanitcs...."

Thanks also for the AAAS video, as a fitting end to Expelled.

Thought you might enjoy this:

===
I happened to catch an appearance by Ben Stein, promoting Expelled, on the "Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson."

I just can't believe how Ben Stein is characterizing science, which he seems to insist on calling Darwinism.
He seems to have no grasp on science at all. I suppose some would consider that a badge of honor; he seems to....

Here's a few snippets:
After viewing a clip of the movie....

Craig: So, you've made a documentary for stoners.
Ben: It's probably best to watch while high.

Ben: It's about the fact that people think that Darwinism explains everything; and we want to say that:
Darwinism doesn't explain the laws of gravity;
Darwinism doesn't explain the laws of thermodynamics;
Darwinism doesn't explain why some joints are better than so many other joints.

...of Darwinism....
Ben: We like it ...we love it; but it doesn't explain everything.
We don't want people to be fired if they say that the planets stay in their orbits maybe by something other than Darwinism; and we don't think Darwin explained how the planets stay in their orbits.

Craig: To be fair, I don't think Darwin claimed to know ...how the....

Ben: That's exactly right. Darwin was an incredibly modest, down-to-earth, unassuming guy....
He didn't claim that it explained too much, but his followers claim that it explains everything including astronomy; and we say that's very hard to prove. We would like you to watch our movie, light up your favorite bong, and see if perhaps we can change your mind.

Craig: You're not a fan of Darwinism?

Ben: We are huge fans of Darwin explaining how certain birds got longer beaks than others, or have different wild....

Craig: Is this a sort of pro-God thing? Darwin didn't see the world as a God thing, did he?

Ben: Actually toward the end of his life, he sort of did.

Craig: Ooohh Darwin!

Ben: We just want to say, don't fire people if they say the planets stay in their orbits because of something other than Darwinism.

Later Ben was talking about how Craig would do hosting at the White House Correspondents Dinner... and Scots people in general.

Ben: Scotland has the most geniuses, per capita, of any country in the world.
It is considered by many people to be the most intelligent race of people in the world.

Craig: ...long pause.... You're right! ...Ben Stein, everybody. We've gotta go. We'll be right back.

Quote:
[...guess Ben's not running for office]
Does the movie really misrepresent science as "Darwinism" in this way; or is it just Ben's characterization that is so skewed?

I grant that Ben made a lot of drug references, simply playing to the audience; but I'd hope that heeding his advice would be the only thing allowing people to be tricked by the illogical jumps and conflation of arguments in this film.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
R
R
I have to agree that the planets staying in orbit has nothing to do with Darwinism and it does not explain everything. smile

I would also like to point out that it is a good thing this movie is being addressed to the stoners of the world, and I think it might be a good laugh whether that laugh is intentional or not.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Further to TFF's post, this is a very good reference article:
Scientific Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories - http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

As for Stein and Co., if they insist on making a fools of themselves, why stand in their way?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But of course planets stay in their orbits because of Darwinism. Natural selection made the less fit planets to fall into the sun, to be expelled from the Solar System, to be engulfed by other - more fit - planets or to break up after collisions.

R
R
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Further to TFF's post, this is a very good reference article:
Scientific Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories - http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

As for Stein and Co., if they insist on making a fools of themselves, why stand in their way?

I wonder if Ben Stein and company will make fools of themselves with this movie, because let's face it the idea of movies are to entertain and more importantly to make money. Ben Stein is an intelligent man, and I wonder if his gaff in the interview was intentional to drum up interest in this movie by more than just the stoner crowd.

R
R
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
But of course planets stay in their orbits because of Darwinism. Natural selection made the less fit planets to fall into the sun, to be expelled from the Solar System, to be engulfed by other - more fit - planets or to break up after collisions.

Somehow this reply reminded me of the movie Darkstar 2000.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
LOL: But of course....
That's a delightfully unique perspective on the issue.
I won't soon forget that one; and I think it'll help me "translate" how other people sometimes talk about science.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.