Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Anon,

Yes, religion has been the reason for many hideous wars and crimes. The crusades, the Norman Conquest was a type of crusade for William the Great to take the throne of England from Harold. The knights Templar were declared heretics and burned at the stake, all this done in the name of religion, I can go on and on.
However, this was mans interpretation of and rationalizing of religion for personal gain. We all carry our demons but can we control them and I think this is the goal of most religions. Religion is like a tool. You can take it and make beautiful things and improve the world, or you can hit someone in the head with it. We have always been the demons.

Best Regards,
odin1

People will forgive you for anything -but being right !
odin1

odin1 #25647 04/23/08 05:36 AM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
odin --- you do not need to go back so far. Recently the original speech regarding the War on Terror used the word 'crusade' in the perceived context of a just war. This war was also portrayed using the religious and subjective terms of 'Good' and 'Evil'.

I do not believe we are demons, we are just humans.

PS> The Norman Conquest was not a crusade due to religion at all. William, at the time the Duke of Normandy, felt he had a greater claim to the throne because Harold had promised it to him under duress. William's problem was further complicated by the fact that he was illegitimate, and his claim was week, relying on a promise made by Edward the Confessor. He invaded England anyway and won. He turned out to be a really good administrator, but he was never 'the Great' in Britain!

Ellis #25653 04/23/08 01:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Ellis,

This is true, but William could not convince some of the Barons to invade England unless he spiced it up a bit and made it a holy crusade. He needed their support to pull this off. He promised the pope to build churches and ect. in England. Some of the Saxons were still worshiping the old diety's not many but some. When he had the pope's blessing the undecided Barons deicided to cross the channel. And it is true William started out as "William the [censored]" and wound up "William the Conqueror". This is not often metioned, but William had a hell of a time getting to Hastings, some history books have simplified it.

Best Regards,
odin1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again Ellis,

I do not mean to emply we are demons, I meant it to be a metaphor. Also, William is not one of my favorite people in history.

odin1

Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Yes, religion has been the reason for many hideous wars and crimes.
Odin1 writes.

Odin1, it is my opinion that evil perpetrated by hypocrites--pretenders--is SIN at it most heinous. This is just one of the reasons I happen to feel that it is possible and only logical that life does not end at death is.

WITHOUT THE CONTINUITY OF LIFE THERE IS NO JUSTICE
=================================================
I have a strong feeling that, sometime in the future, I will have to give an account for what I did, or didn't do, with my life. Without this, life really is unfair and unjust, nothing more than a "tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing." (Shakespeare). It is a "...dirty trick." (Hemmingway).

Now, to be fair: We need to tally up the good that spiritually-minded and gracious people--religious and non-religious--have done.

BTW, my wife, Jean, and I belong to what we think of as an "un-organized" religion--skeptics, agnostics and atheists, welcome.

http://www.Pathwayschurch.ca

We meet, weekly, in an informal way. There is little or no ritual and/or doctrinaire teaching. As I understand it, there is only one rule: the Golden Rule. That is, we are asked, to the best of our abilities to love, be kind and serve one another.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/23/08 10:09 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Rev,

absolutely, to be fair christianity has done more in my opinion good, which is it's intent. I have a problem with hypocrits, which is what I am attacking. I will be the first to tell you, I am no saint. But, I am humbled by a higher power that I feel exist. Lets not forget to wrong, so we can do better.

odin1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
apples and oranges.

Megastar
Megastar
As I said
Quote:
BTW, my wife, Jean, and I belong to what we think of as an "un-organized" religion--skeptics, agnostics and atheists, welcome.

http://www.Pathwayschurch.ca

We meet, weekly, in an informal way. There is little or no ritual and/or doctrinaire teaching. As I understand it, there is only one rule: the Golden Rule. That is, we are asked, to the best of our abilities to love, be kind and serve one another.
If you do not have a fellowship, which is helpful to you, feel free to participate, via the WWW. No fees. Need help getting help? Let us know what you need.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Ellis,

Here is a link that you might want to read concerning the involvement with the church to Duke William. It is not the best I've read but confirms earlier post concerning the Norman Conquest.

http://www.geocities.com/athens/aegean/3532/1066Euro.htm

Last edited by odin1; 04/23/08 10:30 PM.

People will forgive you for anything -but being right !
odin1

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.