Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 120 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 119 120
R
R
Originally Posted By: big fat pig
tbh, i used to call myself Christian and i read the scriptures every day looking for answers, it seemed to present more questions to me than answers, slowly realizing this i eventually just stopped... i started looking at the philosophies of other religions and came to the conclusion that faith systems were simply there to give people hope/security when reality got too rough... now i call myself a nihilist, there is no ultimate truth except that all is vanity, ultimately, on a cosmic scale, everything is meaningless and purposeless. you might say 'why live then?' i am at peace with the fact that i am merely human and that i probably won't leave a huge impact on society or on this universe; i don't desire higher power or special honors, i want my life to be meaningful to the ones i care about and leave this place knowing that i've made some kind of contribution to our species.

I have been a Christian all my life but growing up I rarely went to Church and I only went a few times while serving in the Army and afterwards. While in College I read a few books which were left out of the Bible or were altered before putting them in the Bible and from that I stopped looking to outside sources other than direct prayer to God for philosophical answers.

I cannot remember all of the books I read for my Civilization Class but two writings that are sticking with me are,

In Genesis God made all of the animal forms and then showed Adam all of them and asked him to choose his form, when Adam looked to God and said that he wanted God’s form. As a child the Genesis story I read said that God made man in his image, but that is not entirely true. The lesson I got from this was that all of us can be what ever we want to be.

The second piece I read which hung heavy on my consciousness was a line from Jesus stating that we do not need the Church to go to Heaven and all we really need is the Spirit of Christ in our hearts. To me, that means anyone can get to Heaven, even a bush man from deepest Africa who may not have even heard of Jesus Christ as long as the spirit of Christ is in his heart. It also means to me that Church is not all that important to me, but I do understand that it may be important to others and therefore it is important.

Megastar
Megastar
Rallem: Thanks for you comments. Note that the Bible says the God made us "male and female" (Genesis 1:27) in his image, not just in the male gender. Take note of my signature: It is an acronym--goodness, order and design. It is a not a noun, depicting any one gender.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/29/08 02:44 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
Megastar
Rallem, I ask you, or anyone, in the spirit of dialogue: How do you conceptualize God? In your opinion, is He a masculine person, an objective and three-dimensional being? Or What?

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/01/08 01:15 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
B
"Rallem, I ask you, or anyone, in the spirit of dialogue: How do you conceptualize God? In your opinion, is He a masculine person, an objective and three-dimensional being? Or What?"

i think that personifying god is putting limits on the idea's majesty, religions(those believe in a supreme power) differ from one another solely by the way in which they personify the idea of a 'god' the moral and ethical teachings seem to remain constant throughout; 'love, unity and respect'

seize the day
Megastar
Megastar
BFP, you comment: "i think that personifying god is putting limits on the idea's majesty..." I agree.

Have you read anything about the process of 'emanationism'?
I think of it as the bridge, even the balance, between creationism and evolutionism. IMO, emanation is an inclusive concept.

EMANATIONISM

Quote:
Emanationism is a component in the cosmology, or cosmogony, of certain religious or philosophical systems that argue a sentient, self-aware Supreme Being did not create the physical universe.

Instead an insentient Absolute emanated lower and lower spiritual modalities and lastly matter as the resultant efflux of the Absolute.

The only lasting place where the totality of emanationism is still observed is by Neoplatonists and some Advaita Vedantists.

BTW, check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanationism

Megastar
Megastar
THE CONTROVERSIAL CANADIAN, THE REV. GRETTA VOSPER
==================================================
She has written a controversial book: WITH OR WITHOUT GOD--Why the Way We Live is More Important than What We Believe.

http://progressivechristianity.ca/ccpc/i...t&task=view

Check out her personal messages to be found on her site.
Check out http://warmplace.ca/

Recently, there were two major articles about her, in the Globe (Taking Christ Out of Christianity), and National Post (Christianity Without Christ), and the numerous letters--mostly negative and critical of her theological and biblical position--in the media, including the Observer.

BTW, I just got word from the National Post that they will be publishing the following letter, which I wrote in response to one of the letters in the NP:

Jean Seager, an 85-years-old who admits she is sceptical of all religion, wrote a letter in which she expressed her feeling that all religion is dead and worthy of being dissected. In response I wrote:

Editor:
Re: ... but do we even need religion? (Tuesday, May 6)

As a 78-year-old, I just got around to reading the letter by the 85-year-old, Jean Seager, in which she praises Greta Vosper's dissection of religion. I would like to ask Jean: Do you mean all religions? Are you saying that all religions are dead, are based on useless rituals and primitive fairy tales and need to be dissected to see what killed them? I don't think Greta Vosper thinks this is so. Why would she care about and stay with a dead religion?

Sure, some systems of religion were--and some still are--doctrinaire, triumphalist, fundamentalist, fanatic and even sick unto death in their approach to the practice of religion. In addition, even some good religions have their share of hypocrites. Jesus pointed this out in his day. But the same can be said of all social systems, including governments, families, the way we educate our children, the justice system, health care, the media, whatever.

I had the good fortune to be raised in a healthy kind of religion--one with a broad and inclusive approach to life. My clergy and teachers taught me to be moral, ethical, kind, good and loving--to others, myself, all classes, races and creeds, including sceptics and cynics, not out of fear of an angry god who would send me to hell, but because it is the right thing to do. They also taught me to take personal responsibility for my life and circumstances. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the same good fortune I had.

Yes, Jean, if you will take the time to look around, I feel certain that you will find--in all the great religions--there are leaders and teachers who do practice what they preach. There are fellowships which are built on the foundation of a living faith, a joy-filled hope and on creative love. Filled with sincere people willing to offer constructive criticism and give generous service, like I hope you are, such religions will stay healthy and have no need to be dissected.
=======================
Mary, did you take note of what the Rev. Vosper says about petitionary prayers?
Slaha, the Aramaic for prayer simply means "to connect with, or to tune into...".

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rev- Recently we heard of the death of a much read, discussed and even loved Australian journalist, Pamela Bone. She was an avowed atheist, a fierce feminist and a brilliant writer. She stirred up lots of controversy every time she put pen to paper! Everyone knew she was dying of cancer, indeed she wrote a book about it titled (with her usual wit) 'Bad Hair Days'. After she died there was still discussion and perhaps controversy as she had chosen to be buried with Christian rites. Because she knew people would wonder why, she wrote an article in the form of a letter to explain. In it she wrote that she loved the sacred music, the words and the ritual and it would also give special comfort to some of her friends and relatives who were believers. In her letter she stated she absolutely still did not believe in any god or the idea of an afterlife-- but she felt that there is such a thing as 'Cultural Christianity' where the form can be observed without the belief, where the message can be recognised without having to commit and where the liturgical rituals and traditional music can be appreciated by anyone. I think that this is similar what many people are describing here on this site.

So Rev do you think 'Cultural Christianity' is possible?

Megastar
Megastar
Ellis,
Thanks for that post. As I read through and got (conveniently at the end of a line) to the phrase, "where the message can be recognised," my brain shouted, 'that's the "translation" thing!' (I've been talking about).
So, ...thanks for recognizing....

It's ...Seeing the meaning behind the message.
However, the common "one way" dogmatism sure causes problems; as does the dogmatism's flip side, that 'other ways' are evil.
I'm sure that is why Revl. is so excited about "pathways." I appreciate his feeling.
It is one of the evolutionary steps we need to take in order to achieve that "Type I" status. IMHO
smile

p.s. re:
Quote:
So Rev do you think 'Cultural Christianity' is possible?
I live (and was raised) very non-religiously; but I avail myself of both Catholic or Protestant services and resources on rare, but much appreciated occasions.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
In connection with the previous few posts, Humanistic Judaism offers, I think, a rational and ethical perspective.

"Humanistic Judaism is a movement within Judaism that emphasizes Jewish culture and history - rather than belief in God - as the sources of Jewish identity. Its rituals and ceremonies do not include prayer or any invocation of a deity. Its philosophical outlook is derived from Humanism or Secular Humanism, and its beliefs may be summarized as follows..."

"Ethics and morality should serve human needs, and choices should be based upon consideration of the consequences of actions rather than pre-ordained rules or commandments"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanistic_Judaism

Surely there are a great many people from other religious cultures with similar 'Humanistic' perspectives. Well, at least, I like to think so.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Megastar
Megastar
The more I think about it, the more I like the word 'humane'. I like to think of myself as a humane (kind, merciful and compassionate) being, not just a human one.

I also like to think that I appreciate being 'cultured'--refined in feelings, thoughts, tastes manners, and the like.

Let's see what happens when we combine the two: I like to think and feel that I am a cultured and humane being, who happens to been born a Christian. As such I offer love and respect to all other humane beings, no matter what they happen to be, culturally.

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/11/08 01:36 AM.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Surely there are a great many people from other religious cultures with similar 'Humanistic' perspectives. Well, at least, I like to think so.

Revl.
This was sort of "off topic" over there, so I thought I'd quote and respond over here....
In response to my post:
http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=25998#Post25998
you wrote:
Originally Posted By: Revl.
Samwik, you have given us some very heady stuff to think about. Much of it is new information to me. I only wish I had enough science to understand, in simple terms, what it means, in detail; and to be able to explain, in simple and practical terms, what it implies for our known universe.

The Chaos, Solitons & Fractals Abstract mentions, "the stochastic underpinning of the universe itself."
Stochastic? Does this mean, having to do with random and variable processes. If so, it certainly helps me understand what the great mathematician, Alfred North Whitehead was trying to say when he wrote about process philosophy and theology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_North_Whitehead
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/whitehead/#WPI
Out of his work came panENtheism, which, to avoid confusions with pantheism, I call unitheism.

I hope you catch my post on "stochastics" over on Semantics....
http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=26012#Post26012

I was thinking that "to be able to explain, in simple and practical terms, what it implies for our known universe," one need only look to the great religious literature, Vedas, Bible, etc.

From stochastic, the phrase "self-similar processes" came up and reminded me of the metaphor 'we are made in G0d's image' (or something like that).
There's a lot of language in religious texts that can be understood in terms of the "physics of cosmology."
Dharma, the true reality, is distinguished from Maya, that illusion we call the material world.

Of Maya: Bhagavad Gita Ch.7, Verse 6. "Know these two- my higher and lower natures- as the womb of all beings. Therefore, I am the source and dissolution of the whole universe."

Of Dharma: "Verily, that which is Dharma is truth." -(Brh. Upanishad, 1.4.14)

For Sikhs, "Dharma" means the "path of righteousness".
Other important aspects of a Sikh's life include Sewa
(dedication to the service of God's creation)

p.s. I studied Whitehead's Metaphysics back in the 1980's. No wonder we think alike!
smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
Megastar
Sam: I have the feeling that, if they knew about, the vast majority of those who are staying away from the organized, tradition-bound and ritualized religions would respect the philosophy and theology (unitheist) of Alfred North Whitehead.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The idea of cultural christianity is unusual because unlike your quotes sam, it requires no conscious adoption or understanding of the faith in any way. This acculturation is the result of being alive within a particular society and appreciating what matters to them, and, it seems to me appreciating it without reference to personal belief or culture. An extreme example could be the adoption of Christmas and Easter in SE Asian countries where the result is often very unusual to our eyes. It is arguable that many people adopt religious dogma for the comfort it brings, or even a perceived social advancement rather than belief and I am not talking about that. I am still pondering an avowed (even on her death bed), atheist wanting the music and ritual she loved, whilst remaining untouched by anything else the church had to offer. I can understand it. The possibility of being sent off to the sound of Bach's sacred music or a beautiful gregorian chant has great appeal!

Megastar
Megastar
Sam and Ellis: I assume that both of you are, by now, well aware that my wife and I belong to a fellowship--a new group (Pathwayschurch.ca since Jan. 2006). Though it is sponsored by the more traditional, but open-minded, United Church of Canada--it is made up of members who not bound to accept doctrines, liturgies, rituals and the like just because someone says they should. Our fellowship also believes that faith need never be contrary to science and reason.

THE UNITED CHURCH OBSERVER--Our national magazine.
Check out the current issue
http://www.ucobserver.org/
Note what the editor, David Wilson, says about
Why a faith-based magazine feels it's important to sponsor a museum exhibit on Charles Darwin.

Non-Christians, agnostics, non-theists, and even atheists are welcome. We come together as pilgrims, walking in the light we have, in the journey we call life. We are here to be of holistic (body, mind and spirit) service to one another and for the good of the total community, including the secular one. My wife and I have no desire to belong to a religion that is in any way judgemental; or one that is so heavenly minded that it of no earthly good.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rev wrote:
My wife and I have no desire to belong to a religion ....... that is so heavenly minded that it of no earthly good.

That's a great thought!!! It certainly made me smile.... True too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are theists welcome?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Anon,
Are theists welcome to do what? Post about science? Don't judge the whole site by a single thread.

Megastar
Megastar
Anon, you ask: Are theists welcome? Of course, NOT!!! When I was one, I was too heavenly minded. ... laugh

Yes, I presumed you were joking. I like to joke too. Now, let's dialogue about the numerous theisms. It is fun to do.

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/12/08 08:23 PM.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Rev wrote......let's dialogue about the numerous theisms. It is fun to do.

I thought we were already doing that, plus the anti-theists get a go too!

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Rev wrote......let's dialogue about the numerous theisms. It is fun to do.

I thought we were already doing that, plus the anti-theists get a go too!
Of course you are right, Ellis.

BTW, it is interesting to note that, despite all the variety we have found--and still finding--in life, there are still many people who assume their is only one way think. And, of course, it is their way. When it comes to theology, even most fundamentalists cannot agree on the same list of fundamentals.

Not long before his death, the sceptic and atheist, Bertrand Russell said: "I have no desire to die for my beliefs, because I could be wrong." smile

Page 32 of 120 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.