Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
I was trawling around the GISS global temeprature database website recently. I must say there is a large amount of very well organsised data and great maps etc. Worth looking at. One plot caught my eye though : there has been a lot of recent discussion about whether GW has been happening in the last decade. This plot give a very good overview of the month by month global data (land based and also land/ocean). Make up your own minds......

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.C.lrg.gif

Also worth noting the recent cold snap we are all experiencing - Jan '08 is the coldest month in the entire period.

G'day ImranCan,

Ah the problem with statistics and graphs. You can make people believe almost anything by the way you present the data. In this case you are not looking at a graph that is showing perhaps no global warming for the past decade. Far from it.

This graph is not a graph of temperatures but anomolies. For it to be understandable, the anomoly used needs to be very clearly defined. Is it the World's Average Temperature taken from a century of data and thus a static figure? Or is it a figure determined from a running average? There are all sorts of ways of determining anomolies and I believe they should be clearly stated within the graph itself so you are sure you looking at what you think you are looking at.

For a static anomoly, the graph does indeed look pretty static. Why then use anomolies at all. Why not just the temperature itself. The graph would be identical in shape, without any question as to whether it is misleading or otherwise.

Anomolies are useful with climatic data but in my view they are grossly over used, often deceptively.

As they say, lies, damn lies and statistics!

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.