Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online
0 registered (), 204 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters (30 Days)
Topic Options
#24719 - 01/29/08 06:11 PM Strange Creature Immune to Pain
Amaranth Rose II Offline

Superstar

Loc: Southeast Nebraska, USA
" As vulnerable as naked mole rats seem, researchers now find the hairless, bucktoothed rodents are invulnerable to the pain of acid and the sting of chili peppers.

A better understanding of pain resistance in these sausage-like creatures could lead to new drugs for people with chronic pain, scientists added. "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080129/sc_livescience/strangecreatureimmunetopain

#24733 - 01/31/08 06:44 AM Re: Strange Creature Immune to Pain [Re: Amaranth Rose II]
Mike Kremer Offline

Megastar

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
" As vulnerable as naked mole rats seem, researchers now find the hairless, bucktoothed rodents are invulnerable to the pain of acid and the sting of chili peppers.

A better understanding of pain resistance in these sausage-like creatures could lead to new drugs for people with chronic pain, scientists added. "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080129/sc_livescience/strangecreatureimmunetopain

Mike Kremer 2 Amaranth

Thats a very interesting find.
However dos'nt every animal have at least one enemy?
I mean there's pain and pain. The pain of hot or cold, being cut, or squashed in a trap? How about being bitten by a wolf or hunting dog?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#24744 - 01/31/08 08:11 PM Re: Strange Creature Immune to Pain [Re: Mike Kremer]
Amaranth Rose II Offline

Superstar

I'm sure mole rats have predators. I'm just impressed that they have adapted to living in high carbon dioxide environments to escape predation.

#24747 - 02/01/08 04:21 AM Re: Strange Creature Immune to Pain [Re: Amaranth Rose II]
Ellis Offline
Megastar

Loc: Australia
Poor little mole rats-- it is fortunate for them they could not feel the pain of these nasty experiments.

#24750 - 02/01/08 02:35 PM Re: Strange Creature Immune to Pain [Re: Ellis]
Amaranth Rose II Offline

Superstar

Well, one thing's for sure. If I were attacked by a pack of vicious, man eating mole rats, I wouldn't reach for the pepper spray.

Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor
Facebook

We're on Facebook
Join Our Group

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.