Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24438 01/10/08 09:38 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
This Bulb

Perhaps we can start a thread for climate change videos.

Last edited by paul; 01/10/08 09:46 PM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #24444 01/11/08 12:50 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: paul
This Bulb

Perhaps we can start a thread for climate change videos.

Well you start it off 'deary', just make sure you post it under Climate Change....if you want replies. Hehehe. Byeeeee

Mike Kremer

Mike Kremer #24498 01/13/08 10:02 AM
Megastar
Megastar
Apologies if this link doesn't work or translate properly:

This is a link to find the American Meteorological Society Panel on Arctic Ice Change.

There are two options, and the first, 1:44, is the better version.

I like these real player versions because you can drag forward to 25:00 minutes and watch the specific part about the modeled "tipping point" possibly happening now (instead of in 40 years as predicted). See the graphed yellow line!

http://12.170.145.161/Search/advanced.asp?AdvancedQueryText=American+Meteorological+Society+Discussion&StartDateMonth=11&StartDateYear=2007&EndDateMonth=12&EndDateYear=2007&Series=&ProgramIssue=Science%2FTechnology&QueryType=Match+Any+Word&QueryTextOptions=&ResultCount=10&SortBy=bestmatch

...or you can search these terms on CSPAN to get a windows media player.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
samwik #24524 01/14/08 04:39 PM
J
J
Environmentally friendly light bulbs ‘can give you skin cancer’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar...70&ito=1490

"There have been growing concerns that low-energy light can trigger migraines, as well as dizziness, loss of focus and discomfort among those with epilepsy.
Dr Colin Holden, president of the [British Association of Dermatologists], said: "It is important that patients with photosensitive skin eruptions are allowed to use lights that don't exacerbate their condition. Photosensitive eruptions range from disabling eczema-like reactions, to light sensitivities that can lead to skin cancer."

Megastar
Megastar
I'm not so hot on the CFL's, but....

This article is an example of horrible journalism.

Yes, "flickering" can be problematic; but is there any association between CFL's and skin problems?

None listed (except in the sensational headline)!

I prefer LED's

...and while I trace back to Leeds,
I think these Spectrum folks (from your link) are only interested in profits.
http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/spectrum/consortium.html

They are taking a 'BAD' comment out of context, and running with it, I think.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
samwik #24539 01/15/08 02:45 AM
Superstar
Superstar
Samwik,
Your link led to a page of links. Which one, specifically, are you referring to?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Samwik,
Your link led to a page of links. Which one, specifically, are you referring to?

Do you mean the Spectrum link?

My point was to show Spectrum's focus (transportation, infrastructure, & energy interests); not to say anything about Spectrum's specific links.

I was pointing out that Spectrum may not be an unbiased community advocate.

samwik #24590 01/18/08 04:57 PM
J
J
Dr Colin Holden, president of the BAD, said: "It is important that patients with photosensitive skin eruptions are allowed to use lights that don't exacerbate their condition. Photosensitive eruptions range from disabling eczema-like reactions, to light sensitivities that can lead to skin cancer."

That is a quote that includes the word cancer. Of course, as others note, what doesn't cause cancer, it is important to know that the risk is increasing.

John M Reynolds

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: John M Reynolds
Dr Colin Holden, president of the BAD, said: "It.....that there are patients with..... Photosensitive eruptions rangeing from disabling eczema-like reactions, to light sensitivities that can lead to skin cancer."

That is a quote that includes the word cancer. Of course, as others note, what doesn't cause cancer, it is important to know that the risk is increasing.

John M Reynolds

[quote=Mike Kremer] 2 John M Reynolds

I don't doubt that there are a few people that are Photolight Sensitive. Time will tell if these new Compact Fluorecent Bulbs
show up this type of sensitivity.
What is also important is that they all contain a couple of milligrams of Mercury. As result they have been banned in some UK schools in case of their accidental breakage, which would release Mercury vapour. Mercury beads are virtually immpossible to find and clean up.
The London Borough of Barnet, (in my area) has banned these bulbs in schools, unless they are protected by an enclosure.

Its also interesting to note that the popular kids shoes that light up while they walk, are activated by a Mercury switch.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.