Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2437 07/29/05 09:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hello all.

if there are any people out there with a degree in bio sciences or environmental sciences, please pay attention.

i have just started an experiment whereby i have found a plant that grows 400 -1200 percent or faster in a solution of CaSo-2H20. the Ca and So have a subscript of 2.

the results are incredible.

if anyone knows anything about the chemical formula i am working with and wants to guide me, please email me. i want to get this out there because i think it may solve sulpher polution caused by building materials.

THIS IS SERIOUS.

U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
THIS IS SERIOUS.
1) "Sulfur" not "sulpher."

2) No, it isn't. Gypsum (Plaster of Paris, and now discarded Drierite) has been added to heavy soils for a thousand years to aid drainage by dewelling smectite clays. Hydroponics is a mature technology from packages of "living lettuce" in your grocery to British Columbia's $1.3 billion/year "Northern Lights" hydroponic marijuana.

3) Look up the mass/year of calcium sulfate/sulfite recovered from power plant exhaust scrubbing. How many thousands of square miles of plantings would you need to consume it? What do you do with the vegetation afterward - burn it?

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
E
E
Hey chris this actually sounds like a good idea. Considering the studies on reclamaition currently being undertaken to find a way of neutralising the waste emissions from active sites. This, combined with the capture and refinement of waste gases from these active sites could be a lot better if some time was spent on it than simply allowing it to escape and pollute or as current proposals go capturing it and burying it under the North Sea. If you contact the Department for Trade and Industry in the UK with a detailed proposal of uptake rates, bi-products and volumes required then the feasibility studies can be carried out to determine if "treatment works" where these plants would be grown could be useful or cost effective as a mean of removing pollutants from the atmosphere. If you need the number just request it from one of the labour info .gov sites and they will pass it on to you. There is a lot of work to do though.

Carry on smile

E
E
CORRECTION:- reclaimation

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try again; reclamation.

Y
Y
"the results are incredible."

Yes, I'm sure they defy credibility.

Sulfur pollution generally results in hazy atmospheric conditions, as water vapor condenses around sulfur in the air. It goes away when it rains (giving us acid rain). Hosing down the atmosphere would be more efficient than what you propose. Just buy my handy-dandy RainMaker 3000, only six payments of $3999.99, and all your problems are washed away. wink

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.