Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2421 07/27/05 04:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In principle nothing prevents the different interpretations of the same data at speeds greater than light...
This is most mysterious conclusion I have ever reached...
AS it will us to the remarkable conclusion that
IF what we know is not what it is then this information might have travled at speeds greater than light...
May be using wirtual particles because virtual particles can travel at speed greater than speed of light.
CHeers
Am I not the greatest Sceintist? :-))
Sorry for my stupid reaction.

#2422 07/27/05 01:10 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Your conclusion would be less mysterious if I could understand your first sentence. What does "In principle nothing prevents the different interpretations of the same data at speeds greater than light" mean?

Perhaps English isn't your first language and you could ask someone to help you better express your thought.

DA Morgan
#2423 07/28/05 05:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that was no joke...
you cant even understand this.. you need physics as your first language...Go through the ultimate criteria for not violating the law of speed in the Quantum domain...
For your knowledge things can happen instanteneously .. but nothing useful gets extracted at that speed.

#2424 07/29/05 03:32 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
In principle nothing prevents the different interpretations of the same data at speeds greater than light
Causality in general and and Lorentz symmetry in particular prevent it. Information may not propagate superluminally.

http://motls.blogspot.com/
Special relativity - an ideal amount of a deformation Near the top.

Later,

It is by no means obvious that the observers in motion may be equivalent to observers at rest. Once you recognize this possible equivalence, you may postulate a Galilean symmetry. Then you may look for classical deformations of this group. You will only find a few examples and the Lorentz group is the only one that makes the speed of light finite and universal.

Nevertheless, the Galilean group is a special example in which some commutators (of the boosts) are set to zero. This choice may be obtained from the Lorentz group by setting the defining speed - which is called the speed of light - equal to infinity; the Galilean group is a contraction of the Lorentz group. On the other hand, the speed of light is finite in relativity which allows one to unify the space and time; to unify electricity and magnetism; to identify the mass and energy by Einstein's most famous formula. The Lorentz symmetry also severely constrains the possible forms of the physical laws.

Wavefunction collapse into an observable is instantaneous over arbitrarily large distances and volumes, as empirically demonstrated by the Bell Inequality in the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox. It conveys no information until collected datasets are compared - and that is limited to lightspeed.

Relativity has c=c, G=G, h=0 as boundary conditions. Quantum field theory has c=c, G=0, h=h as boundary conditions.

Quote:
May be using wirtual particles because virtual particles can travel at speed greater than speed of light.
Wrong. Horribly, ignorantly, dysfunctionally wrong.

Quote:
Am I not the greatest Sceintist?
Idiot. By what lunatic hallucination of credulity does poster "dkv" rate four stars?

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#2425 07/30/05 06:28 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Likely the same logic that caused Timothy Leary to think he was inspired.

Both equally impressed by incoherent thinking.

DA Morgan
#2426 07/31/05 01:28 AM
S
S
Aha, perhaps you can help me with a poser that a coworker asked me the other day.

I've got a very heavy vehicle out in the void, that is holding on to one end of a very long rod that's very rigid and very light. The rod is so long that a small angular adjustment would make the tip move faster than the speed of light. So why won't it move that fast, or anything near as fast?

I'm thinking that the answer has something to do with the speed at which energy gets transferred along the rod, but have to admit that I have no clue what I'm talking about there.

Freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots.
#2427 07/31/05 03:40 AM
J
j6p Offline
J
I would agree with you that it's the speed that energy is transferred along the rod. But if I were explaining it to someone who couldn't quite grasp the mechanics of it all, I would tell them to visualize about ten golf balls strung out and attached to each other by a two inch piece of rubber band. Now even though the golf balls are attached to each other, when you pull that first ball the others won't move right away. That's about how it would work with that long rod stretching to outer space.

#2428 08/01/05 04:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do you explain Quantum Entanglement?
How can a change in spin get communictaed instaneously?
Now I am getting serious about my joke...

#2429 08/01/05 07:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If 'Elephant' is communicated as 'Rat' then atleast no additional information transfer is taking place...And if we are unware of this event of Elephant being expressed as Rat then we say that this kind of information can be travel at speeds greater that speed of light.
BTW Strong Relativistics conformity is not the central requirement for events to occur (atleast in the quantum domain )as sense of space and time is lost to discreetness and multidimensionality.Unexpected things can happen..

#2430 08/01/05 09:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Additionally If the above communication is known to be periodic then if we know that such an event has occurred and will again occur after a time T then the occurence of the event delivers no new information other than that it occurred . As the occurence is known to be periodic and we already had the inofrmation about this event even befopre its occurence we know that no communication was done at all..
(however if the event does not occur after time T then we can say that new information has been generated.)
The idea of pulsating subjective(to everything.. ) reality is very fascinating and there are no logical reasons for its non-existence.....
The undisputed logical understanding of the reality is not required for a cause and effect to take place(or an event to take place).
Cheers

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.