Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2415 07/27/05 06:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aids virus is the smartest creature nature has ever created after the human beings...
Suddenly it highlighted the concept of unsafe sex...
This concept was there even before the AIDS but Aids highlighted it by sepcifically targeting those who made the intercourse....(their are other reasons as well.. but this was the primary reason)
It mutates while science tests its drug against it...
And it is worth getting scared of...
And what is more scaring is its lethal and more devastating mutated forms of future...?
We must cure the reason before its too late...
Todays Medicine must look at the other alternative approcahes as well.
Eastern medicine can give us good clues.

U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Ilucid.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Problems don't get solved by wishful thinking.

Problems don't get solved by playing what a former coworker once described as 'tinlike' ("tinlike God will take care of us," "tinlike we have an ultimate weapon").

As with every other human problem, an effective and efficient solution lies with a correct, coherent, and to the extent possible complete definition of what is known about the problem.

Unfortunately, wishful thinking and politics and other social pressures have impeded and continue to impede progress.

I don't know what 'eastern medicine' can provide. I say this out of genuine ignorance and not a desire to be coy. If the answer is "just do yoga" or "meditate," or "here, drink this tea," I'm going to be a little disappointed.

There is some percentage of caucasians who appear to be immune to the disease. Check out this report from the US national academies of science.
http://www7.nationalacademies.org/step/Genomics_Committee_Meeting_1_transcript.pdf
I've seen other reports that some percentage of other populations also have some degree of resistance to the disease.

In any case, I don't know that AIDs is any 'smarter' than any other disease.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dvk ... if you don't mind my asking ... are you older than 15?

Your comment is pure nonsense. Not for someone still in elementary or middle school ... but by high school I would expect a clearer understanding of reality and/or a more sophisticated way to express a thought.

DA Morgan
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
dvk ... if you don't mind my asking ... are you older than 15?
REP ; Having little fun of the most innocent kind should not be banned because everyone wants that little escape from the daily routine..
And this was remark was misplaced...
========================
Problems don't get solved by wishful thinking.
REP: Vague statement... and it can be debated to death...
=====================
Problems don't get solved by playing what a former coworker once described as 'tinlike' ("tinlike God will take care of us," "tinlike we have an ultimate weapon").
REP: I never involved GOD.. although God is known to help people with diseases and severe stress.
=========================
As with every other human problem, an effective and efficient solution lies with a correct, coherent, and to the extent possible complete definition of what is known about the problem.
REP: What is meant by an effective and efficient solution? To me it means complete eradication of AIDS with minimum effort.
====================
Unfortunately, wishful thinking and politics and other social pressures have impeded and continue to impede progress.
REP: You are not playing politics and that is what should be the policy of each and every person involved with sensible discussion.
Today the power has been distributed and you free to show your displeasure thru vote.
==========================
I don't know what 'eastern medicine' can provide. I say this out of genuine ignorance and not a desire to be coy. If the answer is "just do yoga" or "meditate," or "here, drink this tea," I'm going to be a little disappointed.
REP: Yoga is not the only medicine.. Chinese also have excellent track record in curing diseases.. Btw Yoga is a lifestyle and is used as a preventive measure when applied to Medicine...
=====================
There is some percentage of caucasians who appear to be immune to the disease. Check out this report from the US national academies of science.
http://www7.nationalacademies.org/step/Genomics_Committee_Meeting_1_transcript.pdf
I've seen other reports that some percentage of other populations also have some degree of resistance to the disease.
REP: Thats great .. so we are getting closer to the cure .. and who will be the great saint to allow testing of the Vaccine. What happens if the AIDS survives ? He will die a chosen death ...
Imagine a new virus AIDS++ which overcomes the newly developed resistance and we again get an opportunity to employ thousands of Researchers...
It is not a bad strategy to keep the cycle running but my question is if someone gives you a complete cure package without medicine will you accept it?
===============================
In any case, I don't know that AIDs is any 'smarter' than any other disease.
REP: AIDS is undoubtedly smarter than any of his
fellow viruses and his smartness is matched only by a human being.... He knows how get his food ... and knows how to survive the 21st Century Science...

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Yoga could produce healthful effects in a lot of people - perhaps most people. So could Tai Chi, but probably to a lesser degree. I don't see need to invoke supernaturalism to explain any observed effects (if they are observed). Known medicine is probably sufficient in most cases. Western doctors have been saying for decades that salubrious effects are produced by regular excercise and good diet. This excersize is a worthwhile endeavor for general health and being generally healthful might be useful for fighting AIDS (I don't know, but it might). To the extent that eastern medicine has acquired this wisdom experientially that's a good thing. But now we know why it's helpful. There are specific biochemical reasons why healthful things are healthful.

But even if it's true that a generally healthful lifestyle can benefit a person who has AIDS, that's a long way from curing AIDS. Before AIDS there was polio, the spanish flu, cholera epidemics, tuberculosis, the black death. Each of these plagues either ran their course, or were cured by science.

Now you ask me if I would accept a complete cure package without medicine. I'm not sure what this means exactly, because that cure package would be the medicine, so to speak. So I infer that you mean a 'cure' that isn't explained or condoned by western science. If that is a correct interpretation, then here is my response:

There are 'cures' today for cancer - I simply go to the philipines and hire a psychic healer.

I can 'cure' my hemorrhoids by placing my hand on the television set when Pat Robertson asks for God's blessing.

I can cure my diabetes by throwing my insulin up on stage with Peter Popoff - as an act of faith.

The fact that I still have my cancer or my hemorrhoids or my diabetes after the 'treatments' is, I suppose, irrelevant to the fact that I was cured at the moment of healing.

Throughout history there have been records and rumors of all kinds of fantabulous healings and cures. When scientists look into these records and more to the point when they investigate modern claims, they find scant evidence in support of them. The claims were exaggerated, the situation was not as described, the results were much more ambiguous. The evidence gets fuzzier the closer we examine it.

That is not to say that there are no cures or treatments that work outside of modern science. Sometimes we (as humans) discover things accidently, before we have a clear understanding of the underlying principles. Apples had been falling to Earth for innumerable millenia before Newton's laws explained (to some extent)the motion.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.