Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 498 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The Old Testament of the Bible contains many prophesies which Christians believe are fulfilled by the coming of the Messiah in the human form, Jesus Christ. Thus the Old Testament has an important part in the Christian religion as these prophesies form the basis of the Christian faith by underlying the legitimacy of the claim that on his birth Jesus fulfilled the conditions necessary for him to be the son of God, according to the prophesies, the Messiah. This in turn allowed for him to achieve divinity, a rare thing today, but common in the Roman Empire at the time of Christ's birth when many emperors were often worshipped.

Jesus' own teachings became the New Testament, along with some other carefully chosen writings of the new religion.

In the thousands of years since the various collated myths and stories emerged as the Torah, the Koran and the Old Testament of course they developed differing attitudes. But they do all spring from the same source, each with its own viewpoint and each apparently absolutely convinced that their own version is the only correct one.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Rallem wrote:

"I don't really think you are capable of understanding what I say".

I am merely hoping to clarify a statement you made way back where you seemed to imply that the Bible was somehow more "correct" than the Qran. I still fail to see why this should be so. Surely the Bible, the Torah and the Qran are all equally valid or equally mythical. What's the difference?

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Rallem wrote:

"I don't really think you are capable of understanding what I say".

I am merely hoping to clarify a statement you made way back where you seemed to imply that the Bible was somehow more "correct" than the Qran. I still fail to see why this should be so. Surely the Bible, the Torah and the Qran are all equally valid or equally mythical. What's the difference?

Some people deny any revelation that came from God – be glorified; others deny the Quran and say that it is only the Torah of Moses and the Gospel of Jesus that were revealed; and still some people deny the Gospel and the Quran and say it is only the Torah of Moses that was revealed.

But will God leave people withour sending them any teacher to teach them about Him and to worship Him alone, and to acquaint them about the next world? In spite of that He is going to judge them according to their actions and words!

God – be exalted – said in the Quran, 28: 49
قُلْ فَأْتُوا بِكِتَابٍ مِّنْ عِندِ اللَّهِ هُوَ أَهْدَى مِنْهُمَا أَتَّبِعْهُ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ
The explanation: (Say [O Mohammed, to them]: "Bring a Book from God that gives better guidance than either [of the Law and the Quran], which then I will certainly follow, if you speak truly.")

God – be glorified – said also in the Quran, 6: 91

وَمَا قَدَرُواْ اللّهَ حَقَّ قَدْرِهِ إِذْ قَالُواْ مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ عَلَى بَشَرٍ مِّن شَيْءٍ قُلْ مَنْ أَنزَلَ الْكِتَابَ الَّذِي جَاء بِهِ مُوسَى نُورًا وَهُدًى لِّلنَّاسِ تَجْعَلُونَهُ قَرَاطِيسَ تُبْدُونَهَا وَتُخْفُونَ كَثِيرًا وَعُلِّمْتُم مَّا لَمْ تَعْلَمُواْ أَنتُمْ وَلاَ آبَاؤُكُمْ قُلِ اللّهُ ثُمَّ ذَرْهُمْ فِي خَوْضِهِمْ يَلْعَبُونَ
The explanation: (And they do not esteem God as He should be esteemed; for they say: "God has never sent down anything on any human being!" Say: "Who then sent down the scripture which Moses brought: [as] an illumination and a guide to people, which you put on papers that you reveal and you hide much, and you have been taught that which you did not know: neither you nor your fathers." Say: "[It is] God." Then let them be to play in their prating.)

eanassir
http://universeandquran.741.com
http://man-after-death.741.com

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"still some people deny the Gospel and the Quran and say it is only the Torah of Moses that was revealed."

And some who deny there is the remotest shred of evidence for any of it.

E
OP Offline
E
The Torah revealed to Moses [most of which is included in the Old Testament], the Gospel revealed to Jesus and the Quran revealed to Mohammed - all these invite people to serve God alone, according to the First Commandment: that God is One without associate, and that, as in the Islam: No god but God.

E
OP Offline
E
All prophets of God, from Adam till Prophet Mohammed, invited people to serve God alone, and to abandon the idolatry.
Prophet Mohammed did not follow myths, but instead he broke up the idols of his people, and serve God alone, according to the First Commandment which is the most important of all the Commandments.
Like his grandfather Prophet Abraham; Prophet Mohammed served God without any associate, and that God has not any wife neither has He any son nor any daughter. And that God has not any equal.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Thereby replacing all the other myths with another bigger myth.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Ea Nassir wrote:

"All prophets of God, from Adam till Prophet Mohammed"

Hang on. Adam is a mythical character. You mention Abraham. There is absolutely no evidence he was other than a mythical character too. I concede that Jesus and Mohammed did actually exist but how can we tell their message came from God? As for God not having a wife: what's all this stuff in the Old Testament about Asherah then?

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
And the gospels (note the plural) were not 'revealed' to Jesus but are accounts of his life and teachings by various authors after whom each gospel is named. These were all written years after Jesus' death. The New Testament also contains other books and writings containing information about the development of the Christian church. One is called Revelations, so I guess there's some revealing there--though exactly what is revealed is a matter of debate, and it certainly was written many years after Jesus' death too!

E. N. If you wish to refer to the book/books underpinning the Christian faith you should refer to it/them as the New Testament, of which the Gospels are a part.

Then there's the question, since we are talking of myth, was Jesus a real person?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.