Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23846 10/15/07 03:16 AM
Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
People may recall that, I've posted a question here a number of times regarding temperature proxies (tree rings, ice cores), and whether any recent studies have attempted to compare them against the existing station record. It astounded me that I couldn't find such a study. Measuring tree rings is not terribly expensive, and if there really is a positive relationship between tree ring width and temperature, we should see tremendous tree growth since 1975 (and would obviously validate the relationship between tree rings and temperature).

It seems that Steve McIntrye has wondered this himself. Apparently these types of studies have been done in recent years, curiously however, nothing was ever published. (Malcolm Hughes sampled bristlecones in 2002 and Lonnie Thompson sampled ice cores in 2003).

Rather then wait on somebody else, Steve's taken the initiative to do it himself. He's gone out to Colorado and taken cores from the very same trees that were sampled by Graybill - which, if I'm not mistaken were used to generate the infamous Mann hockey stick. He collected 64 cores, which are all at a dendrochronological laboratory for analysis. He's posted it on his blog http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2183 and even posted a screen cap of the raw results from one tree that the lab processed first. He's pledged to continue posting the results as they arrive, regardless of what they contain.

It's some interesting reading to say the least. Although those that hope for a positive relationship between tree rings and temperature may be a tad disappointed when they get to the raw results (I probably should have marked that as a spoiler)

C
C
I am not an expert here so I contacted Dr. Richard Alley from PSU on this, here was the reply:

Quote:
The great majority of paleoclimatology is tied to the instrumental record as best as can be done, although some use nearby stations, some use climatological data, etc.--the uncomfortable truth is that no matter how hard one blogs, you cannot make long, well-calibrated instrumental records appear at the sites where you decide to collect an ice core or lake core or
tree ring, and the long instrumental records are almost never collected in places suitable for ice-coring or lake-coring or tree-ring coring, so some long-distance or otherwise relations must be sought. Really, a textbook on the subject would be a good place to start (check Paleoclimatology in the college library), or even better, see the free, online, authoritative report from the National Academies at
http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676
McIntyre is obviously an interested and dedicated individual, but does not sit in the mainstream of research on this topic, has not done too much refereed original research on it(primarily but not exclusively blogging), and is often (rightly or not) associated with one end of the political spectrum. If you are getting much information from such a source before checking
with, say, the National Academies, you are well off course for a
dispassionate consideration of the issues.

One last thing: we have a refereed scientific literature for a reason. Any issue that you see raised about climate change that has not been published in a mainstream refereed journal, you
should dismiss until the author does so. This is a necessary but not sufficient condition - incorrect things make their way into the refereed literature as well But it's at least a first
cut at deciding what's worth spending your time on. Anyone who won't subject their ideas to formal peer review...well, let the buyer beware. I've done this in a good number of forums, and have been overloaded with blogs from either side of the "debate" and we really aren't going to get far.--Chris

Last edited by Chris; 10/15/07 10:00 PM.
J
J
Why would you criticize their publishing decisions instead of looking at the science? You seem smart enough to be able to review it yourself.

Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Chris - I am very disappointed in your reply to this (or perhaps Dr. Alley's reply). From your first posts, I had expected more from you.

A few points

Is Dr. Alley seriously saying that you cannot compare temperature proxies to temperature trends collected at stations because the stations are not located exactly where the proxy is collected? People have used proxies to calculate global average temperatures for periods pre-dating instrumental records. Does he take issue with Mann et.al.? Or does he only take issue with work comparing instrumental temperatures with proxies when it threatens his funding source?

The he goes on to attack McIntyre's politics (because that has such a place in science crazy). If anybody has followed McIntyre, or his blog, they would be aware that he regards the actual science as "settled", but wants to focus on the underlying data. Why are people afraid of data being audited? Mistakes have already been found - and will likely continue to be found. Does that mean global warming is false? Of course not, but finding those mistakes will ultimately increase our level of understanding. Any good scientist would realize this, and welcome such audit.

Then onto your argument, it's not published therefore you can go merrily along the way with your eyes covered. This is complete hogwash. I'm sure you are aware that McIntyre has published papers before, and I'm sure he will again. This particular work that I posted with regard to, is in the very early stages. McIntyre believes in open science, not doing work behind closed doors, and then maybe releasing the results (if they support the thesis). I'll note once more that previous work has been done comparing proxies to temperature records, but has not been published. Why do you think that is?

Knowing the past temperature and variability of temperature is fundamental to understanding the magnitude of anthropogenic GW - past studies have assumed a positive linear relationship between temp and tree growth. All McIntrye is doing is taking the cores (from the same trees used in previous studies), and sending them to an independent lab for testing. If tree rings were a good proxy of temp, you should be able to see some warming signal in the last 60 years……yet there is none, and in fact there is a negative correlation (albeit only one core has been analyzed)

This is a significant finding, and frankly it doesn't matter if it's published or not (although I suspect it will be). The assumption of a positive linear correlation between tree growth and temperature may be completely wrong. This of course means we have no idea about past temperature variability, which throws our current understanding of the climate out the window.

Wasn’t there a Danish fairly tale about an emperor and his new clothes?

John is correct, address McIntyre's finding, not the man.

Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Just checked McIntyre's blog, and thought I should post an update.

Turns out there has recently been a study completed that has looked at updating temp proxies.
Here's the link
http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/Theses/AbabnehDissertation.pdf

To save you reading the entire PhD dissertation, here's the relevant part.

Quote:

The results reported in this paper are partially in accordance with other studies that support the hypothesis of a moisture related signal in bristlecone pine. Wright and Mooney (1965) concluded that bristlecone pine responds to a precipitation gradient rather than to cool alpine temperatures. Similar results were reported from a three year ecophysiological study of bristlecone pine by Fritts (1969). Such findings are not unexpected since the White Mountains are xeric with annual precipitation not exceeding 41.5 cm. Graybill and Idso (1993) and Graybill and Funkhouser (1999) compared tree-ring widths from the western United States, including one of the sites investigated in this study (Patriarch Grove), and found similar results: a low correlation with temperature that prevents use for temperature reconstruction, a negative correlation with the previous year’s temperature, and a highly significant tree growth response to spring precipitation. Bunn et al. (2003) and Tang et al. (1999) implicated soil moisture sensitivity especially in the strip-bark trees.

Will be tough to explain away this.....

I
I
Just a question or two to try and understand this topic - is this recent data survey and the phD report saying that there is no clear relationship betwen tree rings and temperature ? Why is this important ? Given that temperatures in the US mainland have not overalll increased in the last 100 years, why would this be a surprise ? Maybe I'm being stupid here ... but need to understand the this ...
Thanks

J
J
The preliminary results from a single core currently show that the growth rate in recent years has declined contrary to the belief when bristle cone cores were used as a temperature proxy for historical temperatures. It turns out that moisture is more important. This confirms the recent phd thesis and Mann's post 1960 data. In other words, this casts some doubt on the past historical temperature records. The other proxies should be checked as well.

This is important because we must know how accurate the estimate of past temperatures is. If it is not accurate, then we cannot know how much of an affect anthropogenic green house gas emissions are having.

Given that the suppressed divergent Mann data has been available for decades, this comes as no surprise to me.

The data must be correct before we can evaluate the accuracy of the models and AGW theories.

Last edited by John M Reynolds; 10/17/07 03:00 PM. Reason: added the last line
Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Imran - this is important because past temperatures (1000 AD to 1850) have been determined by assuming a positive linear relationship between tree rings (growth), and temperature. This work has shown that historical temperatures have been almost completely stable (at least when compared to temperature fluctuations seen currently). If past temperatures have been stable, and we're only seeing significant temperature increases now, then the increasing CO2 concentrations must be to blame.

The problem is, the initial assumption has never been validated. Everybody has just continued along with this assumption as the foundation to their work, even though most logical people would ask “how do you separate temperature signals from precipitation signals in tree rings?”.

What this recent work is showing, is that tree rings are not a good proxy for temperature, but also that the relationship, is in fact, negative. This seriously calls into question the historical temperature estimates and the idea that temperatures were stable prior to the industrial revolution.

Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Another update about McIntyre's tree coring escapades......

Some more initial results are in.
http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2214

Still nothing to indicate a relationship with temperature

I
I
Guys - thanks for enlightening me. My mental model had always been that temperatures HAVE been varying through time. Hence the mideaevel warm period and the mini ice age. As a geologist by background, my timeframe references are always a little longer than the average view so I didn't see the current warming as anything different from what has been "observed" in the last 1000 years. However, if the rate of current warming is different from what has been "observed" in the last 1000 years, then I guess the temperature proxie issue becomes important.

Thanks again.
Imran

J
J
The rate of temperature increase has been higher in the past. Although, other factors like Milankovich cycles likely played a contributing roll. The key now is to find all of the factors that are playing a contributing roll and to figure out just how much warming there currently is and previously has been. Solar cycle 24 is expected to start any time now. Cycle 23 has been one of the longest yet. No one seems to know why 24 has not yet started. For now, we still have to evaluate the temp proxies by comparing them to observed temps. Verifying that the calculation of the average is important too. That will affect the adjustments that are needed if any beyond time of day. There is much work to be done on the raw data. Conjecture on poor data is pointless.

Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
It seems John and I posted at the same time in reply to yours. Sorry for repeating John's post.

Originally Posted By: ImranCan
Guys - thanks for enlightening me. My mental model had always been that temperatures HAVE been varying through time. Hence the mideaevel warm period and the mini ice age.

Obviously you're right, temperatures have been varying, significantly, through time. Although if you listen to Mann (infamous hockey stick), the medieval warm period and the mini ice age were non-events. See here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Hockey_stick_chart_ipcc.jpg.
Almost a completely flat line (slight trend downwards) from 1000 to 1850 AD, with the maximum variation in the 0.2-0.3 degree range. Do you see any medieval warm period or little ice age in there?

I
I
Thanks Canuck - indeed that famous graph is also on the last page of the IPCC 2001 "Summary for Policy Makers". And indeed - upon inspection its almost totally flat ...... if the ice on the River Thames during the Victorian period was anything to go by the UK must have been very anomalously cold .... or maybe the graph is wrong smile

Now even more enligtened as to the importance of tree rings ....

J
J
The hockey stick graph is actually compiled from a spagetti graph of several proxies. Looking at each line separately, they all show some magnitude of the medieval warm period and the little ice age just with different lags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

And if you want Canuck's link to work, when you get the 404 error, remove the last period from the url and hit enter.

C
C
RE Canuck, got back to Dr. Alley, hope this is helpful-

Quote:
Not that one cannot compare proxies to instrumental records, but that there often is a longer distance between them than one would want, so a bit more finesse is required than simply running a regression off the nearest site.

The other issue you raise is now discussed as the "divergence problem". It is entirely a tree-ring issue so far as I know (no problem with borehole temperatures, lake biota, or any number of other indicators), and shows up as some ring-width histories failing to track the size of the most-recent warming even though they tracked the earlier-century warming well. There are many hypotheses; some of them would have no implications for temperature of Medieval Warmth, say (introduced pests reducing growth recently, other air pollutants such as tropospheric ozone reducing growth recently); whereas other hypotheses would affect the amplitude of medieval warmth (too much warmth causing drying so that tree switches from primarily temperature to primarily moisture influence could have happened in Medieval times as well). There is a discussion in the NRC report.

Notice that the fluctuations in the past have been used in model testing, but have not been used in model tuning, nor do they have much to do with attribution of prediction of climate change. If it should happen to turn out that the past fluctuations were a bit bigger than we suspect, this in no way affects attribution of recent warming to CO2--we have satellites now showing that the sun is not changing, cosmic-ray monitors showing that they
are not changing, ocean-temperature records showing that heat is going into the ocean not coming out, and other things that allow attribution now with high confidence. The efforts to use the divergence problem to argue that the Medieval warmth was warmer than previously reconstructed are typically used politically to suggest that the current warmth is natural. That is high-level nonsense, as the Medieval warmth is simply not used as part of
the attribution effort. What might come out of discovery of a warmer Medieval warmth is evidence that the long-term feedbacks are stronger than we suspected--the revisionism addresses the temperature change, not the causes of the temperature change, so a larger change from unmodified causes means a more-sensitive climate system. Causes were different then than now, but the causes load on many of the same feedbacks, so anything done to
increase our estimates of past variability should also cause concern about the future, because we will be loading on those feedbacks too.

Virtually always, the arguments about past variability are used, when they enter the political arena, in an attempt to reduce concerns about global warming. The science is exactly reversed; the more variable the past, the more worry for the future. (And yes, with a highly variable past, you can hope for an exact cancellation of human effects, but you can also fear a great amplification. There is absolutely no reason to believe that nature will somehow time itself to exactly offset us, and a more-variable hence higher-feedback past would indicate bigger future changes.)

I
I

Quote:
Virtually always, the arguments about past variability are used, when they enter the political arena, in an attempt to reduce concerns about global warming. The science is exactly reversed; the more variable the past, the more worry for the future. (And yes, with a highly variable past, you can hope for an exact cancellation of human effects, but you can also fear a great amplification. There is absolutely no reason to believe that nature will somehow time itself to exactly offset us, and a more-variable hence higher-feedback past would indicate bigger future changes.)

Chris - I could not agree more with this statement .... here in absolute balck and white plain English, a climate 'expert' has clearly stated the uncertainty range looking forward. The question I have is why can this uncertainty not be properly quantified in the RANGE of forward projections. The answer I suspect lies in the first part of his quote - it just wouldn't do to to put forward a range of forecasts which might show human effects being cancelled out. This is exactly my concern with this whole topic. These guys start with a position "We don't want to reduce concerns about global warming" and then only show the forward projections which are aligned with this. Why can't they just show the real uncertainty range and treat us all like adults ?

C
C
right now the ranges don't show us being cancelled out anytime soon. You can construct your own model and find a better method, but if you want to base the future on wishful thinking with no evidence behind it, be my guest, but I'd rather be on the safe side with future generations at risk. Right now, real-world observations and not wishful thinking generally show that most scenarios have been underestimated, with much less overestimated- the arctic as one example of something declining much quicker than anticipted (e.g. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/31...ourcetype=HWCIT)--

We know we're in store for at least 0.6 C more as the oceans are taking up heat (e.g Hansen et al 2005) and we 're pretty much consistent with the 3 C per doubling. And remember glaciers or oceans and other things have not equilibriated to current conditions, so for many thing we're still in a 330 ppm like atmosphere. I wouldn't have such confidence it will all go away or some huge negative forcing which we don't expect to come, will suddenly save us --Chris

I think this quote from Ray Pierrehumbert sums it up

//"We know enough to essentially rule out a very small climate sensitivity, but there’s still a lot to learn about how bad things could get on the high end. Changes in the ocean, ocean chemistry and biology on land and ocean need a lot of study. There’s all that ice dynamics stuff that had to be left out of the IPCC because it couldn’t be properly modelled yet. There’s a lot to learn about regional climate change. A lot to be learned about the carbon cycle on both ocean and land. Basically, there’s a lot to be learned about just how bad things could get. Also, of course, a lot to be learned about how to emit less CO2."//

Last edited by Chris; 10/26/07 06:47 AM.
I
I
Originally Posted By: Chris
right now the ranges don't show us being cancelled out anytime soon. Right now, real-world observations and not wishful thinking generally show that most scenarios have been underestimated, with much less overestimated

Indeed the IPCC ranges don't show anything other than increasing temperatures at 0.2-0.3 degrees per decade if I recall from their latest 2007 report - quite alarming - and personnally, I think that on the balance of data, science and current understandings this is entirely possible. But I think these models would have a little more credibility if the 2001 IPCC scenarios hadn't been so far out and now so conveniently forgotten. I think this was the one with the infamous hockey stick graph (p34 of the Summary for Policy makers). I still haven't really had any explanation of how the current 5 year rolling average temperature is below the entire envelope of the 2001 scenarios. How can that be ?

R
R
Originally Posted By: Chris

One last thing: we have a refereed scientific literature for a reason. Any issue that you see raised about climate change that has not been published in a mainstream refereed journal, you
should dismiss until the author does so. This is a necessary but not sufficient condition - incorrect things make their way into the refereed literature as well But it's at least a first
cut at deciding what's worth spending your time on. Anyone who won't subject their ideas to formal peer review...well, let the buyer beware. I've done this in a good number of forums, and have been overloaded with blogs from either side of the "debate" and we really aren't going to get far.--Chris

Silent Spring was not peer-reviewed. Yet it started a discussion on the usage of DDT. The peer-review process has its limitations.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.