I've had "visions" of the oscillating ("bang/crunch") cosmos all my life as mystic, and have always sought scientific confirmation as a lay scientist.
I've also seen through the "reification" of "time" as an existential entity and the myth of "spacetime" as a real fabric in mainstream science. (See my website, www.consciousunity.org ... nothing for sale.)

I found Lynds'oscillating cosmology, as expressed on this site very interesting but deeply flawed.

"Time", as always, is the SNAFU. At the end of Part II, the article says, "One thing's for sure, we are probably stuck with our concept of time." And Lynds affirms, "I think we are stuck with our intuitive notions of time."

Lynds' "time" article makes the case that time doesn't exist (as segements in the natural order), with which I totally agree. However, he does say, as Part I paraphrases that "there is no arrow of time; there is no past or present, and that in neither a big crunch nor big bang is a singularity ever reached."

Here is where I think he jumps track from reason, that "there is no present." Time-wise, that's all there is!... always now.

His "intuitive notion of time" leads him to conclude that, as the "crunch" *approaches* singularity (not to actually reach a no-volume point... I agree) that the "order of events reverse so entropy can continue increasing" (as demanded by the second law of thermodynamics.)

Here I think he goes way off track. He does a "time reversal" trick even after taking a good shot at the common misconception of time as a reified actual entity. This saves him from the heresy of violating the second law of thermodynamics but, in the process he creates a greater absurdity than "decreasing entropy," namely "reversal of the order of events!"
(Entropy increases until the reversal of the expansive half of the cycle, and then gravity begins to pull it all back together again, and the regrouping and compresing of masses causes them to heat up again.)

The way I see it, on one end of the cycle *approaching* entropy, all that's out there (in whatever form) is pulled together into various clumps, black holes of all sizes, etc, which keep attracting each other until the implosion back into *one mass* ( in agreement with Lynds... not one point or "singularity"..., and this ball of matter heats up at the core and again explodes. The "missing matter" which will make the "gravitational net" work will be found in the form of dark matter. (Not so mysterious, actually... matter that doesn't emit or reflect light... as in black holes of all sizes, planets, cosmic dust, and atomically dispersed gases.)
As all matter compresses into one very dense ball, the central core heats up as matter converts to energy and eventually overcomes the gravitational compression, blowing away the matter surrounding the expanding/exploding core... "Bang!"... and the next expansive half of the cycle begins.

There is no need for any tricks of time reversal (or reversal of the "order of events"), which violates all comon sense.

Once we get over our "massive" misconception obout time.... NO!, we are *not* "stuck with it!... we can see the possibility for the oscillating cosmos I describe.

And it is *not* "the same for every cycle", determined like clockwork, as has been suggested.... No more than the same water molecule takes the same path for every cycle from sea to raindrop to sea again. Natual diversity prevails and it's a different cosmos manifest from each new cycle of diversification and re-unification.

michael mooney