Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Well, on the face of it, AR is right and it's no cop out to say that, because corporations "behave" that way, imo. It's interesting that the confusion may come from a Supreme Court ruling, in the 1880's I think, that Corporations will be treated like individuals, from the law's perspective. Should that be revised?

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Mr W- Whilst the US corporations in America may conform to some ruling in an American court the capitalist corporations of other countries (eg Russia, Japan, Europe) are not so constrained. The chinese govt backed organisations are introducing a whole new way of squeezing the last ounce out of its workers, as do many of the businesses now being carved up in the former Eastern European countries. And how the new businesses of Iraq will function will be interesting to see.

The nature of corporations has to be to make money, to create not only wealth but also debt and most of all to expand, to grow larger and larger consuming greedily as they go.

Ellis,

I agree. I was playing with the odd idea that the US courts have that a corp. is a person, which it clearly is not.

>"The nature of corporations has to be to make money, to create not only wealth but also debt and most of all to expand, to grow larger and larger consuming greedily as they go."

As you imply, corporations act more like a "mindless profit machine" and I'm interested in the idea that Darwin's laws of natural selection may be operating here.

If the corporations are the new city-states (possible, at least), what can put the brakes on their growth? Any ideas?

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
We do seem to be developing, perhaps evolving, as Orwell foreshadowed in 1984. I do not think that it is possible to stop this trend really as, for the way we live now, continual growth is seen as good. The only way to stop this has to be through legislation by the elected governments which actually reflect the wishes of their citizens. This would then mean cutting that country off from the perceived advantages of free trade as goverment tariffs and bans impede trade. I think that the majority of the population see the extension of debt (both personal and national) as really desirable as it enables them to buy goods and services at cheaper prices and in greater quantity. Consumption becomes important and for the individual person we hear shopping described as a hobby or activity.

Most of the population in developed countries do not save their money. After spending directly they invest any residue. They become shareholders, property owners, contribute to superannuation and literally have, even at the grass roots level, a vested interest in the present situation continuing. There is no incentive for our elected representatives to change the status quo as we all enjoy the consuming and spending on credit far too much. Greed is indeed good, and who knows perhaps it can go on forever!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.