Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
http://www.space.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=mm31A_ScaleUniverse

An interesting animation of the powers of 10 in distance from Earth.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

E
E
Enjoyed that, thank you~

Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Glad to hear it. You're welcome.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
That is so good I watched it three times!.

Do you think that it will ever be possible to get out of the Solar System?

Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Anything is possible. Whether or not it is likely will depend on us and how we pursue the goal of interstellar flight. Im for quantum ships, myself. First you're one place, then you're in another place, without having transported yourself in between. It just takes a quantum leap to move things. smile

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Someone from the Australian National Uni was quoted today saying that time travel may one day be possible but we will not be able to ever afford it. In fact if a population could afford it we would be so different from them when they called in we would not recognise them as human. I am recounting this as he too felt that quantum physics was the only possible way this could be achieved.

After the story about the multiplying bacteria in the space mice perhaps we will not even be able to explore the Solar System without getting sick, let alone the galaxies!! We really need that Warp Drive!!

R
R
I don’t think time travel is necessary for us to leave our solar system. The first thing we will need is shielding from the radiation which I believe could be gotten by a ship creating a magnetic field, but it is possible that plasma shielding could do the same thing and protect us from things like micro-asteroids. I think our current engines will be more then enough once we have a low gravity docking center such as the international space station, or even the moon, but I’m sure newer and better engines will come along too.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I realise that the topic was initially about the amount of space 'out there' rather than the means of traversing it, but from the above posts, "Freeman Dyson" springs to mind.

From http://www.astrobio.net/news/article556.html

"Going to another star is a terribly powerful idea, just as going to the Moon was originally. At some point in human history, there will be a leap across the great void not just to the nearest star but to any star that might be interesting to explore."

Those are not the words of an uneducated and idle optimist. That's Nobel prize-winner Freeman Dyson speaking. - the same Freeman Dyson who once worked alongside that other brilliant Nobel prize-winner Richard Feynman. This is interesting reading:

From http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/D/DysonF.html

"I started out reading science fiction and then became a scientist, and that set the slant on my scientific work"

"Wells's "First Men in the Moon" and "Stapledon's Last and First Men" and "Star Maker", Dyson recalls as being especially influential."

- I second that!

And people are working on interstellar space drives with a serious intent to prepare the ground for possible future physics...

From http://library.thinkquest.org/C003763/index.php?page=findlife03

"...NASA have launched a Breakthrough Propulsion Physics (BPP) research group aimed at investigating 'alternative' methods of travel that could go faster than the speed of light through scientifically controversial methods such as 'superluminal quantum tunnelling' and the use of zero-point energy."

From http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/1997-J_AIAA_SpaceDr.pdf

"A NASA precedent for systematically seeking revolutionary capabilities is the Horizon Mission Methodology. This method forces paradigm shifts beyond extrapolations of existing technologies by using impossible hypothetical mission goals to solicit new solutions. By setting impossible goals, the common practice of limiting visions to extrapolations of existing solutions is prevented. This method forces one to look beyond existing methods and specify the technologies and sciences that are genuinely needed to solve the problem, whether the solutions exist yet or not.

The theme of the Horizon Mission Methodology is followed here. The impossible goal targeted in this exercise is to create a space drive. In the spirit of the Horizon Methodology. the envisioned propulsion methods can entertain the possibility of physics yet to be discovered. However, to ensure that the envisioned methods are consistent with firmly established physics, the analysis imposes the constraints of conservation of momentum and energy, and requires that observed natural phenomena are not contradicted. From imposing these constraints, the characteristics needed to make space drives plausible can be identified.

Seven different hypothetical propulsion concepts were created for this exercise..."

This might be of particular interest you Mike (Mike Kramer), with regard to your recent post mentioning the casimir effect -

http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/reports/2004/CR-2004-213311.pdf

"Study of Vacuum Energy Physics for Breakthrough Propulsion..."

Today's 'out-of-the-box' scientists are converting yesterday's science-fiction into tomorrow's science-fact.

Last edited by Amaranth Rose II; 01/24/08 06:57 AM.
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
rede,
Several of your links lead to "not found" errors. Do you have other links to these papers or postings?

Megastar
Megastar
I found that removing the colon at the end of the address allowed the links to work properly.

...a colonostomy?

smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
LOL! Next time just post the link, leave off the colon. Thanks for the explanation.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
rede,
Several of your links lead to "not found" errors. Do you have other links to these papers or postings?

Thanks, Rose. Perhaps you could perform the prescribed surgery.

Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Colonectomy performed. Thank you for the suggestion.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.