Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
The second paragraph is perhaps most relevant to this forum.

http://www.esf.org/ext-ceo-news-singlevi...search-318.html

Quote:

Addressing the urgent need for fighting fraud, forgery and plagiarism in science world-wide, the very first World Conference on Research Integrity is set to facilitate an unprecedented global effort to foster responsible research in Lisbon, Portugal from 16 to 19 September 2007.

The controversies surrounding the recent assessment report of the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change demonstrates how research integrity is a critical issue not only for the science community, but for politicians and the society as a whole as well. In August 2007 the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) had to withdraw previous published historical climate data. The incident came after a British mathematician discovered that the sources used by the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) have disregarded the positions of weather stations, plus intentionally using outdated data on China from 1991 and ignoring revised data on the country from 1997.

But aren't we told that the "science is settled"?

B
B
i dont know where you stand on the issue canuk(i am new here) but its outright disgusting to me to see just how shortsighted these people really are.
to blatantly ignore the facts are one thing but to lie and decieve is another.
it seems as if they dont understand that they are going to damn themselves as well as the rest of the world.
all for the almighty dollar!!!
a trivial thing whose luster and appeal have led us to the current crisis and seems to keep any development of a possible solution from being aknoledged.
i am ashamed if i have to be in the generation of people who had the chance to correct it over time, but failed to take action.
and for one reason....greed

The authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Welcome Benny - Have a read through some of my posts, I'm sure you'll find out where I "stand" on this issue.

The conference that I posted about is about Research Integrity - and they explicitly reference a climate change study where this may be an issue. Are you saying the conference holders themselves are lying and decieving?

Here's a short description on "these" people who are holding the conference.

Quote:

The European Science Foundation (ESF) is an association of 75 member organisations devoted to scientific research in 30 European countries. Since we were established in 1974, we have coordinated a wide range of pan-European scientific initiatives, and our flexible organisation structure means we can respond quickly to new developments.

ESF's core purpose is to promote high quality science at a European level.

The ESF is committed to facilitating cooperation and collaboration in European science on behalf of its principal stakeholders (Member Organisations and Europe's scientific community). This cross-border activity combines both 'top-down' and 'bottom-up' approaches in the long-term development of science.

The Foundation is committed to providing scientific leadership through its networking expertise and by ensuring that there is a European added value to all of its initiatives and projects.

How exactly is this group going to "damn themselves as well as the rest of the world"? By trying to promote high quality science?

B
B
easy canuk....by promoting an idea that the current lifestyle we live is wholesome and good , and that our destruction of the enviroment and our pollution of the oceans can have no ill effects its the old "have another beer and dont worry about it boy" distraction.....the whole thing seems foolish to me. if you party now you WILL pay later.
your'e "stakeholders" are probably in reality oil "stock holders"
it has already been shown that big oil "purchased" debate its just a shame you seem to have bought it ..... i also have ivestigated facts on both sides then i stopped looking at them for answers and took a good look around me with my own eyes.
a person only needs to see the urban sprawls of north america to realize a man made habitat is neither physically or mentally health for the people who live in it, it is tremendously affecting the earth ..that is obvious c02 or not and it has to stop whether y,all like it or not

The authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
Canuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Benny - go have a look at the webpage I linked to. Look at the organization, look at the previous conferences they have done.

Then re-read what this specific conference is about - It's the "World Conference on Research Integrity to Foster Responsible Research"

It's aims are to "The conference will be focusing on both individual and institutions’ responsibilities, and of funding agencies as well as publishers" The mistakes found within the NASA climate estimates were merely used as an example of how the peer review process has failed.

Please - provide some proof that the European Science Foundation is in big oil's backpocket - or retract the statement.

and by the way urban sprawl is not climate change.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.