Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23371 09/04/07 03:07 PM
M
Max Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Everyone NEEDS to watch part one of this film. It's 26 minutes, and is dubbed "the greatest story ever told". Part one has some facinating astological facts. Parts 2 & 3 take off on conspiracy theories, some may not be interesred in that.

Please, please watch part one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5216975979627863972

Have you guys seen the "World Islands" and the others they are building in Dubai? A friend sent these pictures to me. Enjoy.

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/Crazy_Islands/

Max #23374 09/05/07 01:56 AM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I have only watched the first one. It is a collation of the Jesus myths, in this case somewhat annoyingly dependent on the similarity of the English words 'sun' and 'son'. The first 10 minutes make a lot of this amazing coincidence which would not exist in many other languages. This negates the impact of the narrative I think. The cult of Mithras was the religion of the Roman Legions and they spread its teachings throughout the Empire. It made sense for the emerging new Christian religion, which was an amalgam of many of the religions/cults in the Middle East at the time, to absorb some of the widely accepted teachings of various religions. The word Easter comes from a European feast of Oestra, a pagan re-birth cult for example. Such ready adaptions and compromises in the early church enabled Christianity to spread rapidly. This video interpretation misses the adaptions that came from pagan Europe of the time.

The teaching that really separated Christianity from the rest was the promise of Eternal Life to ALL who believed in Jesus, which must have seemed amazing to the slaves and peasants at the time. They would be in Heaven with God, just like their kings and nobles. This is different from other religions at the time (I think) and the promise of paradise after death is still important to believers today.

We must not forget that the Bible is a book written by human beings at a time (in the Old Testament) when life was primitive and short. To the nomadic tribes who wrote down their history, and that of their god/gods, the legends of the lands through which they passed would have contributed to the final text.

PS. Why would you need to watch this video? It's interesting, but it will not change how you feel about religion---or it shouldn't.

Last edited by Ellis; 09/05/07 01:58 AM.
M
Max Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Ellis
PS. Why would you need to watch this video? It's interesting, but it will not change how you feel about religion---or it shouldn't.

Oh, I pay little attention to myths. My point is much more simple than that, and quite humorous. I think this movie is a good way for everyone to understand that we never thought the world was flat...or the center of the universe. Two myths that I can't stand, that originated as European fantasy not more than 200 years ago, and have evolved into a weapon against religion. I would never try to change anyone's faith.

They knew the earth was a sphere that circled the sun, mapped the constellations, understood precession, equinoxes, solstices, eclipses...

Just making a point. Pseudo science is nothing new.

Max #23381 09/05/07 09:35 AM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Most certainly there was a time when people thought the earth was flat, and that the sun, and indeed the universe, circled the it. In other words the Earth was the centre of the universe. The earlier knowledge of the ancient astronomers was lost in Europe, mainly in the Dark Ages. Of course some of this knowledge was kept alive during this time, but mainly it was that which coincided with religious beliefs which survived as it was the religious in the monastries who kept learning alive.

Myths are important in the study of History and the development of human psychology, as well as for their general cultural importance.

M
Max Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No, that is all European fantasy derived from a lack of proper interpitation and understanding, and a Washington Irvine novel. Nothing more than a myth. There were a few that tried to argue a flat earth, but were quickly dismissed.

"Myths are important in the study of History and the development of human psychology, as well as for their general cultural importance."

Very true, and some are facinating. but I personally have no interest in myths.

"The earlier knowledge of the ancient astronomers was lost in Europe"

This could be true, but this only speaks for Europe. Columbus didn't believe the world was flat. He left in search of the New World, which was known to exist.

Max #23384 09/05/07 11:12 PM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I may be wrong, (it's not unknown), but wasn't Columbus looking for a new route to the Spice Islands (Indonesia). He thought he had reached India when he found the West Indies. I think you over estimate the power of influence of Washington Irvine also!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.