Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
TFF: "Also included other illusions, as well as some autostereograms."

I've spent more time trying to see into those things than I care to think about! I've stared at them till I'm blue in the face...

Typical question "What else is in the picture beside the cup and saucer?"

What cup and saucer?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
There are a few secrets you might try. I've helped quite a number of kids (and parents) see into them. They're quite addicting when you figure them out.

Technique 1: Step back a few feet and just look at the thing in a relaxed way. Gradually (VERY) gradually start to cross your eyes.

Technique 2: Step away, relax, and attempt to focus on a plane a foot or so behind the autostereogram. The is the first technique that worked for me.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
TFF: "Also included other illusions, as well as some autostereograms."

I've spent more time trying to see into those things than I care to think about! I've stared at them till I'm blue in the face...

Typical question "What else is in the picture beside the cup and saucer?"

What cup and saucer?

Hi Rede,
You are not alone, a number of people do have problems seeing 'Steriograms' in 3D.
If your binocular vision is underdeveloped, you wont be able to see them.
My 21yr old son could never see them, until I recently found a way which helped him.

A-/Firstly, keep your glasses on, if you use them for reading.
B-/Load the Steriogram url, I have put up below.
C-/Make as big as possible. It will NOT fit the screen (unless you use Photoshop, but you can do that later, when you are sucessful).
D-/Tilt your monitor slightly backward. Then lean forward so that the tip of your nose is about 3 inches from your monitor and about an inch below the steriogrm's center.
E-/Important, DO NOT TRY TO FOCUS....at this 3 inch distance the screen appears out of focus!
F-/Dont even blink! Or try to look at ANYTHING in particular! Just stare at the out of focused pic
G-/ While the picture is blurred. Move your head slowly back and away from the screen, slowly and evenly, until you are about your normal reading distance away. Do not move your eyes or blink
The 3D picture should suddenly snap into place, and come into focus, without you even trying, or being aware of it, when you are about your normal reading distance from the screen or a book.
H-/If it dosnt work yet for you, go forward, stare, unfocused, and try again. Dont blink, or move your eyes.

Try moving away a bit quicker, or start even closer if you need to retry 3 or 4 times.

You can blink and move your eyes all over the Steriogram AFTER it has snapped into 3D.

Please let me know if this technique has helped any of you (Rede)?

http://www.aceviper.net/get_illusions.php?cat=Steriograms&id=99&rat=1

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
TFF & Mike, you are tempting me to try this thing again. When I feel ready for an eye-watering session, I'll give it a go.

My binocular vision is limited owing to an inability of the right eye to focus well, with or without specs. so seeing these may be impossible. Now, if I could just convince the left eye to follow suit... grin

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
There are a few secrets you might try. I've helped quite a number of kids (and parents) see into them. They're quite addicting when you figure them out.

Technique 1: Step back a few feet and just look at the thing in a relaxed way. Gradually (VERY) gradually start to cross your eyes.

Technique 2: Step away, relax, and attempt to focus on a plane a foot or so behind the autostereogram. The is the first technique that worked for me.

Hi Fallible Friend,
I think this method is actually more difficult, because you are trying to promote a kind of Astigmatism?
This is where just one eye might turn inward, and the other keeps straight. Anyway, try my method on kids, with a Steriogram hanging on the wall.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

Hi Fallible Friend,
I think this method is actually more difficult, because you are trying to promote a kind of Astigmatism?
This is where just one eye might turn inward, and the other keeps straight. Anyway, try my method on kids, with a Steriogram hanging on the wall.

The Steriogram named Deep Grooves in green just might be a little easier to see?

Mike Kremer

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.